Post light bulb deal today on Amazon

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I read some of those reviews on the bulbs mentioned and saw some photos and because of the white band at the bottom of the bulb the light reflects up instead of all around. The reviews said they are more suitable for upside down lights. Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I read. We didn't end up buying them because we wanted them for our chandalier and need the light to go down to the table.
Right. I tried three of these. They did not shine any light on the ground. Therefore, I am staying with the incandescent candelabra bulbs.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Sage

I don't mean to offend by not reading every word or every post.
I want 40 watt equivalent LED dim-able light bulbs in my kitchen and bathrooms.
Where should I buy them and what should I expect to pay?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:43 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
tomwed, you are never offensive.....to answer your question, if you want them in the bathrooms, etc, I'm guessing you need regular base 7 watt LED bulbs. There are many options on Amazon with the price averaging about 3-4 dollars per bulb. I have seen these even cheaper on sale. Home Depot, Ace and Lowes usually have a good assortment in stock, often even on sale. I have paid about 2 dollars or so per bulb when a good sale is going on these....but a typical price is now around $3+ dollars per bulb.

Know that there are different light options from a soft or warm light to a brighter "whiter" light......measured by the "K" rating. the higher the K rating the "whiter" the light. Hope that helps!

Frank
Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Gold member
Default Re: LED BULBS KITCHEN AND BATHROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I would expect in your kitchen and bathroom you have the reflector flood light type of bulb. They are not 40w but are 65W and the brighter ones are 120w.
If, it helps I just saw them on sale at LOWES-the 65W equivalent ones. They were very reasonable like $3.00 each they have packs of two and packs of four. I belive the tungsten ones cost about the same.

I did not really look much as I have already replaced all of mine. Not sure if the ones at LOWES are dim-able. I have the FEIT brand bulbs which are dim-able but as they draw so little current we never dim them. The ones close to our radio do make noise in the radio.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM

I just put these in my light post outside and they stay on for about a minute then go off for about a minute.any ideas? I don't want blinking lights!
Old 12-24-2015, 06:45 PM

I also ordered the bulbs. I have not had a problem (no blinking). I am very pleased with the output. Glad I went with the 25W instead of the 40. Thanks Frank!
Old 12-24-2015, 06:47 PM

When they are on they are great! I am hoping Frank sees this and has an idea. .
Old 12-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscrimefighter View Post
I just put these in my light post outside and they stay on for about a minute then go off for about a minute.any ideas? I don't want blinking lights!
OK, this is a guess, if the new lights are brighter then the old lights, you may have enough light to cause the light sensor to trigger off. Try this, cover the sensor with black tape, and see if the lights still cycle, if so, I have no idea what is going on. If they do not cycle, then see if some of the light (from the new bulbs) is reflected into the sensor. Try a small piece of black tape over the sensor to limit reflected light, or replacing the sensor??

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Wow...so sorry to hear that your LED's are flashing or blinking. I have researched this a bit and found the following....

First let me say that there are tons of folks in The Villages that have replaced their incandescent bulbs in their post light with LED bulbs and have had zero problems. They are pleased with the light output and are saving tons of money.

There are many articles about LED bulbs flashing on the internet. It is a rare problem that can be caused by more than a few reasons. Many of the reasons involve problems with a dimmer switch. This would not apply to your postlight.

Sometimes the socket is dirty, cluttered with bugstuff, etc. This is one cause.

Sometimes it is just a bad bulb. Sadly, almost everything we own nowadays are made somewhat cheaply, and with LED bulbs having circuits, etc. in them, the bulb itself could be bad.

Sometimes it is improper voltage, etc to the fixture.

Do not get discouraged. The savings gained by using LED bulbs in your post light is worth solving this problem.

Basically, we want to find out if the problem is the bulb or the fixture/wiring. If you could, try these bulbs in another fixture.....one that you know works properly. If the bulbs still flicker, then most likely it is the bulb(s). If the bulbs, now in the new or different fixture work fine, then it would appear to be a problem with the fixture, socket(s) or wiring/voltage or load.

I will try to research this further. as said before, most folks have no problems at all with this LED upgrade. I am guessing that it is a case of bad bulb(s). Simple troubleshooting should point to the right direction.

Please keep us posted, as I am very interested in your findings. I am sorry you have had this problem.

Frank
Old 12-25-2015, 06:07 AM

When it gets daylight I will take it apart and clean it. But unfortunately I won't know if it works until tonight when the light comes back on. I don't think I have a single option to test the bulbs as nothing else I have uses the candle type bulbs. I did get 6 of the led bulbs so I will try swapping them out. I appreciate the ideas and I will post an update!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:05 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

It could also be the electric eye allowing a small amount of voltage through. These small base bulbs can also be tested in a cheap christmas candle, or a neighbor's lamp post.

VillageTinker may comment here as he is much more knowledgeable than I am in this area....he is an electrical engineer and the things he has forgotten I have not even learned yet....lol.

Frank
Old 12-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Thanks to both of you, how do i find the sensor or the eye?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
It could also be the electric eye allowing a small amount of voltage through. These small base bulbs can also be tested in a cheap christmas candle, or a neighbor's lamp post.

VillageTinker may comment here as he is much more knowledgeable than I am in this area....he is an electrical engineer and the things he has forgotten I have not even learned yet....lol.

Frank
VT here, I can test the bulbs (I live in the village of Pinellas), or if you put black tape over the electric eye, wait about a minute, the lights should come on. Also, VERY IMPORTANT, please turn off the circuit breaker to this light before you go to clean it.
One other thing you can try, replace ONE (1) of the LED bulbs with the old incandescent bulbs, and see if you still get the flashing.
Let me know if you continue to have problems, maybe I can stop by.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Ok, here is my update: I tested the bulbs inside (found a nitelight that the bulbs fit into) and they are steady I did my best to clean the outside light, but I have to say that is harder then it sounds! The light post is put back together and tonight will tell !
I appreciate your help and will let you know how it goes!
Old 12-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Hi VT AND FRANK, lights are steady and bright!! Thank you for help, you guys are great.
Closed Thread

Tags
bulbs, led, regular, post, amazon, watts, today, light, bulb, deal, selling, worth, prices, pack, $3.00, $17.83, good, postlight, frank, helps, hope, usage, electrical, money, recoup

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.