Recliner repairs update

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2023, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts
Default Recliner repairs update

I wanted to post some info on recent recliner repairs.
The first repair had a broken plastic part located on the square drive shaft. My inspection indicated there was no practical way to replace the part since there appeared to be no way to get access to remove the square shaft. I as previously reported I made a custom two piece metal replacement. NOTE: this was a no name Chinese unit from Wayfare.

The second repair was a similar recliner with the adjacent plastic part broken, in the case I was able to make a single metal replacement piece, after a second return to do some grinding for clearance, and the installation of one piece we could not figure out what it did, the recliner works perfectly. NOTE: this was a Lazyboy recliner.

The 3rd one appears to be a missing power supply (lost in moving), we are waiting for a replacement.

Now the reason for the update: When doing research on the Lazy Boy recliner I found out that there are metal replacement parts available, however, none of these appear to be cross referenced to recliner model number. Many of the recliners seem to have the same or very similar mechanisms. Some of the lazy Boy recliners are actually designed for DIY repair, none of the ones I worked on had this feature, making the repairs more difficult.

So, if you have a broken recliner, you can do some research I used 'Lazy Boy recliner parts' and see if anything looks like it will work, and you can DIY, just make sure you can return parts that are not the correct size. None of the ones I found contained any size or model information, just pictures. Also, the available YOUTUBE videos were very informative.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,461 Posts

I just replaced the seat foam couple months in my swivel recliner. I only regret was getting firm high density foam. Little too hard but it will get better over time. Good to go for another 20 years…

Last edited by Topspinmo; 10-22-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:39 PM

had by power recliner repaired by a Lazy Boy repairman a few years ago. He removed the side panel to replace the broken plastic part.
Closed Thread

Tags
recliner, replacement, parts, metal, piece

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.