Redoing our TV/Cable/Internet

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2023, 08:52 AM
Default Redoing our TV/Cable/Internet

After doing some preliminary research, it seems the biggest bang for the buck for my wife and I will be to use Centric for our internet ($50 a month) plus Philo for streaming ($25 a month). However, we may still not get local news. So my question is, who would we contact to get someone to install an old-fashioned antenna in our attic? Please advise.
Thanks,
Michael Murrell Marsh Bend
Old 11-15-2023, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
After doing some preliminary research, it seems the biggest bang for the buck for my wife and I will be to use Centric for our internet ($50 a month) plus Philo for streaming ($25 a month). However, we may still not get local news. So my question is, who would we contact to get someone to install an old-fashioned antenna in our attic? Please advise.
Thanks,
I would look at Roku initial investment no monthly charges if you don’t upgrade and if has channels you want?
Old 11-15-2023, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks,
I believe that both HULU Live and Youtube Live carry local stations.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Xfinity run internet only only promotions for as low as $25 month first year. Buy your own equipment. Costs about 100
Old 11-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

OP, depending on where you live OTA (Over The Air) television may be very limited, I have an 80 mile rated antenna, with an amplifier and cannot get Orlando reliably. One day I get 65+ channels and the next I am luck if I get 10 , this is with the antenna OUTSIDE and I am sure reception will be worse inside the attic.
As noted above, do some investigation as I recall there are streaming services for local stations.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

According to "suppose.tv", the cheapest way to get the live local channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX, is with Xfinity for $43.15 per month. That service also includes about 43 other channels.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks,
We use a free app on our smart tv called Haystacks News. It gives us wesh 2 news for central FL plus other networks. I’m not sure though if that is a LG tv exclusive or not. Check your smart tv’s “App Store” there might be something comparable.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks,
A fire stick has local news channels only cost is for the stick no monthly charges.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:00 AM

That is exactly right. I went to Best Buy recently to buy an antenna and was discouraged to do so because of the limited range of reception.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:11 AM

Good pick on the internet service, fiber is the best option. Why not get the centric tv service too? We had philo and youtube tv and got rid of them within 4 months.
Roku is just a piece of hardware that allows you to run apps/services on it, no different than using Apple TV 4K boxes or a firestick, you will still need to subscribe to tv packages.
Check with your cell phone carrier because some of them have deals/specials with tv services. For example, we get Apple TV+, paramount+, Netflix for free, $5 off philo, and we got $10 or $15 off YouTube tv thru our cell phone carrier.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

If you have a smart tv you can download “very local” which is NBC’s local network. I’m assuming you can get it on ROKU also or you can download the app to your smartphone and then stream it to your tv. I’ve been hoping that CBS would do the same but so far no luck.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:31 AM

When I started with YouTubeTV it was $45 . It is now $82.50. I don’t have any “add-on” packages.
I’ll keep it through football season, then I’ll drop it again.
I really only watch about 6 channels.
I’m thinking about just downloading each of those apps.
I live in Sunset Pointe and was also advised not to spend $$ on an OTA.
I always enjoy these threads and hearing what everyone else is doing.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
A fire stick has local news channels only cost is for the stick no monthly charges.
Through what app on the Firestick do you watch local news channels? As someone else stated a Firestick (or Roku) is “just a piece of hardware that allows you to run apps/services on it”.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks,
I watch local news on a free app called Tubi.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

this thread is hilarious, appreciate the chuckles this morning

Tags
month, redoing, question, news, local

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.