Removing the address stickers from the window

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I see no reason that you could not see the number if it is hanging on the lamp post outside the home. At night the light is on.
There are people who do not like it on the window. Fact is in most places the correct place to put it is on the mail box or lamp post outside your home. No mail box in front of our homes so lamp post could be used.
I find nothing written down in the village rules that says it should be on the window.
If you look, you will see more homes without the window numbers than with them. EMT & Firefighter are more likely to look for your sign on the lamppost than on the windows for that reason. So many of the windows become blocked by palms and bushes, therefore, the lamppost is closer to the street and more visible to the responders.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I called Public Safety. I was told house numbers on the lamp post, over the garage, on the side of the garage are all OK. But not on the curb. However, they must be legible. That seems to rule out fancy lettering. They confirmed the numbers in the window are for the sales people. However, leaving them there is acceptable.

I was also told every vehicle is equipped with a GPS which has made finding locations much easier.
Hi Lawatha (and other sticker removers),
You done good. No reason to feel bad about removing the numbers, as they were put there for the Sales agents not for the EMTs.

This is a post from the earlier thread that Indydealmaker mentioned. The need to keep the stickers on the windows for emergency services is a common misunderstanding.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

I asked the builder when could the numbers be removed. He told me that as soon as I had other numbers visible to the street. (lamp post sign). I removed the numbers with a razor and vinegar, came right off! (I'm a firm believer in "if nothing works...use vinegar)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
I agree - but our front windows are blocked by landscaping so I hope they can see the number on our lamppost.

I did take the numbers off of our first house here. Here is my recommendation:

1. Someone recommended rubbing alcohol. I recommend Jack Daniels, you will need it to calm yourself after hours of frustration trying to get those numbers off the window.

2. You will need some tools to do the job. Safety goggles, gloves, a hammer, a phone book. Forget any chemicals, just keep the JD handy.

3. Put on the safety goggles and gloves. Have a drink of JD. Pick up the hammer. Smash the window. Pick up the phone book. Look in the yellow pages for Window Replacements. Have another JD while you watch them replace the window.

4. Now you have a nice clean window, guaranteed to have no residue from those sticky numbers.

Or, you could leave them on there and close your blinds. (That way your neighbors can't be looking in as you finish off that JD.)
I'm leaving the numbers on my window but I thought the above advice which was posted over a year ago to be the easiest way of getting the job done.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
KittyKat
Personally, I favor black numbers above the garage door, the kind that you nail or screw on. I have noticed that the numbers on the lamp post signs are hard, if not impossible, to see at night because the light is too far above the signs & casts a shadow. I have always turned the outside lights on after calling 911 day or night. Anyone know where to get that special light switch that makes your outdoor light (I think it's for the front door light) blink?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Personally, I favor black numbers above the garage door, the kind that you nail or screw on. I have noticed that the numbers on the lamp post signs are hard, if not impossible, to see at night because the light is too far above the signs & casts a shadow. I have always turned the outside lights on after calling 911 day or night. Anyone know where to get that special light switch that makes your outdoor light (I think it's for the front door light) blink?
Yes, I have a Courtyard Villa and the numbers are prominently displayed above my garage door.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Peanut Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
We were also told not to remove them because of the reasons stated above. I don't find them offensive and they could save your life.
I have always used peanut butter to remove stickiness. It works. However, when the first responders came to my house, I was told that at night they use them because they are reflective. I figure if we all leave them on, they will look normal. For all of you that have removed them... off to Ace Hardware you go.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Try using goo gone. That's what I used on mine.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:51 PM

We removed ours, you are allowed to remove them..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Light Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Anyone know where to get that special light switch that makes your outdoor light (I think it's for the front door light) blink?
......The BLINKY kinda SWITCH thingy to make your front door light blink IS available AT "HOME DEPOT"...($33.89).....My wife installed it in under 20 minutes... ( sad but true......she be a slowin' down lately ).....I appreciate all she does around here...BUT C'mon..... I coulda "done did it" in twelve minutes flat...AND.. woulda had it done sometime by late November-ish, maybe.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
......The BLINKY kinda SWITCH thingy to make your front door light blink IS available AT "HOME DEPOT"...($33.89).....My wife installed it in under 20 minutes... ( sad but true......she be a slowin' down lately ).....I appreciate all she does around here...BUT C'mon..... I coulda "done did it" in twelve minutes flat...AND.. woulda had it done sometime by late November-ish, maybe.

That sounds about right to me, your wife is my kind of woman!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf-Tinker View Post
First responders look for these reflective numbers at night to verify your address. Lamp post signs do not serve the same function.
This is true. We removed ours and now don't have them!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.