Removing popcorn ceiling

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Default Removing popcorn ceiling

Anyone know how to remove popcorn ceiling?

Kathy
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwachowski View Post
Anyone know how to remove popcorn ceiling?

Kathy
A number of good suggestions and tips via Googling 'remove popcorn ceiling'.

Personally, I've never done it. Sounds to me like it might be a job worth farming out, especially if you want to have a 'knockdown' finish applied after the popcorn texture has been removed, for example. If you want a completely smooth ceiling, that might be a little tougher to achieve without a lot of additional effort.

A 'Search' on TOTV should reveal several past threads on the topic - referrals for local contractors, etc.

Bill
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM

I have removed popcorn ceiling many times. You need a lawn and garden sprayer. A lot of protection with plastic over furniture and get started. I use DIF in a sprayer very hot water. Spray on ceiling and wait for the DIF to work in. Use a drywall spackle knife and remove all the popcorn. The trick is to not water too much for you will remove the paper on the drywall, this is a no no and will cause you to spackle the removed paper which is a problem when you want to finish and paint.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtjr11 View Post
I have removed popcorn ceiling many times. You need a lawn and garden sprayer. A lot of protection with plastic over furniture and get started. I use DIF in a sprayer very hot water. Spray on ceiling and wait for the DIF to work in. Use a drywall spackle knife and remove all the popcorn. The trick is to not water too much for you will remove the paper on the drywall, this is a no no and will cause you to spackle the removed paper which is a problem when you want to finish and paint.
Sounds like a good idea!!! Can you sheetrock over the ceiling to?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.