Replacing a smooth top, electric cooking surface?

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Replacing a smooth top, electric cooking surface?

Our 8 year old cooktop had gone dead. I suspect one of the burners is bad and must shut down the entire cook top (not sure if this is a valid assumption!!).
I have heard that to have a GE service man come out to "repair" the cooktop can be very expensive if a burner needs to be replaced like $400-$600.

At that price I am looking at a new cook top and I am wondering if the removal and installation can be a DIY project. I know the old one is 220 hardwired and think it to be no more difficult than changing out a light fixture.

Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated.

btk
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

this You Tube Video should answer your question ...Definitely a DIY project.

I tried to copy the link to the video but it did not convey...so go to You Tube (or Goggle) and look for Prego Project: Fix GE Stove Burner

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdtPFyjDpfo[/ame]
Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
this You Tube Video should answer your question ...Definitely a DIY project.

I tried to copy the link to the video but it did not convey...so go to You Tube (or Goggle) and look for Prego Project: Fix GE Stove Burner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdtPFyjDpfo
Quoted to show the link.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Z

why this link would not show up .....I just dont know. But thanks for the linking what can help OP.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Z

why this link would not show up .....I just dont know. But thanks for the linking what can help OP.
It has something to do with you tube and IE9. Somewhere on TOTV are instructions to make the link work.

Quoting the note is easier.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

An FYI update.
The removal of the cooktop is just as simple as replacing a light fixture. Black wire, red wire and ground.
The toughest part? Lifting the unit up and out of the counter. It weighs 49 pounds. It is definitely a two person job to lift it out.

New unit coming this week which I will install. We decided to go with an induction top. We had one several years ago and liked it very much. About as close to cooking with gas as one will find. Boil water in 90 seconds or lesss....20 increments of heat selection....bunres adjust automatically to the size of the pan being used.

Yes it does require pans that are magnetic.....ones that a magnet will stick to....that was not much of a problem for us having the cookware all transitioned from the unit we had years ago.

An easy DIY project.

Of course observe all the rules of safety starting with turning off the power to the unit.

The only disappointment? The one we had put in 8 going on 9 years ago when we had the house built. Appliances just do not have the life span like they did in years past.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.