Roaches

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Default Roaches

Seems we have an inordinate amount of roaches this year. We just came back after 6 months and find some dead and many alive. Sprayed again twice and also used boric acid in outlets and along walls, . Does anyone have any good ideas besides de-fogging house...although I am considering defogging attic
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Call Deans or Masseys.

Never had a roach in five years here.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM

Have you ever gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and looked in the tub or in the kitchen? When you are asleep, they come out to play and disappear when the sun comes out.
We use roach bates and that seems to help.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage

are you talking German cockroaches or American aka Palmetto bug?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,036 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default roaches

Go to lowes or home depot and get Harris Roach Tablets. They will get rid of them.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Wow! I would call in the experts-----nope my wife beat me to it!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM

What kind of roaches we talking about? The beetle kind or the yuckiest kind.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Sage

go to a pet store and get a Tokay gecko, they will find every one (and others) and live happily in your home.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

I have a service which treats the outside of our home monthly. In eight years have only seen one roach. If I saw more than that I'd call out the National Guard.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

Go to HOME DEPOT and get a can of BENGAL Roach spray. About $15, but works. It is a clear, odorless, non staining dry aerosol with a straw similar to WD-40. Stick the straw in cracks under sink, beneath fridge, etc and watch them come out of places you don't know they exist. Do this a couple of times a year and you won't see any. When I moved here, I rented and the place had the large ones due to oak trees and being closed up. The owner wanted to call a service, but I told her I would handle it with the Bengal. Never saw another after treating it. Best of luck...
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

bug treating is one do it yourself project I cannot justify.
We relax and leave it to the pros and have done so since moving south in 1996!!

It is a minimal investment for complete satisfaction and peace of mind.

btk
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Definitely hire the pros. We use Dean's and can't say enough good things about them. It's a small yearly cost not to have to worry about such things as they put down the barrier all around the house and in the lainia.

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i second deans
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 AM
Sage

Have not seen a roach in 3 1/2 years here. If I saw even one I would move out. There must be a lot judging from the response you got. I have Dean's, spray around the perimeter of the house every month.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
bug treating is one do it yourself project I cannot justify.
We relax and leave it to the pros and have done so since moving south in 1996!!

It is a minimal investment for complete satisfaction and peace of mind.

btk
I would tend to agree with btk.....

We've lived in Florida twice. That first year , back in early 1970's we rented a home on a canal a few blocks from the beach.........never saw a roach during the day at all, period.

However, at night if you were watching t.v. with the lights out......then would turn on the living room lights..........you'd see them running across the floor.......or in the kitchen at night (if you got up and turned the light on). That homeowner was a retired general and his wife who had a condo on the beach and they did have monthly or whatever spraying of our home as part of the rental agreement..........the guy would come and spray the outside............and also the inside.....or "treat" it I should say.
It wasn't a spray.

He would also tell me "Do not let your little toddler out on the grass for a few days".........back then, I really didn't think of the toxins indoors.....
can't win I guess.

In 1994, we did have our condo "treated" also and never saw a roach, but everyone says "they are there"........they are nocturnal as others have said.

Even in our THE VILLAGES rental home which was a beautiful pool home on a golf course......I saw two roaches in the bathtub in the guest bathroom (at night they come out from wherever)..........

The owner had roach spray in the laundry room.

I would prefer to use the experts.......who hopefully by now, 2013, know how to eradicate them without harming humans.

Our best story is when our kids were still of the DISNEY WORLD age....and we had flown down for our annual April school vacation at Disney World, always staying "on the premises" in the latest of their resort hotels.......so expecting typical Disney quality.......we had checked into our room.......when my husband spotted a HUGE roach.....he captured it in the drinking glass, put the paper "lid" or "cap" on the glass and took it right down to the front desk manager (where we had just checked in) with long lines of guests waiting to check in............they didn't know what to say and changed our room immediately...........

So, even the best of the best hotels have them. It is Florida.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.