Should I fix my range or buy new?

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Gold member
Default Should I fix my range or buy new?

When should you fix a smooth top range or when should you just buy a new one? I was thinking about saving money and fixing it myself, but then again it is 10-1/2 years old.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

if you replace the range, will that also require replacement of all the other appliances so they match?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
When should you fix a smooth top range or when should you just buy a new one? I was thinking about saving money and fixing it myself, but then again it is 10-1/2 years old.
check TOTV listings before buying new, as many people change or upgrade their kitchens
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
We have gas, had an ignition problem sometime ago. We had it fixed and it cost $160. For us the fix has worked, but if it goes again we will replace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Sage

Depends on your finances, and the state of your other appliances. I would repair it, as 10/12 year old appliance might give you another ten years, assuming something else doesn't fail.

If your thinking of upgrading all your appliances, I would buy all three/four, and be set for another twenty years. Runs about 2K or so.

Then, you will be in a race to see if you last longer than the new appliances. LOL

My appliances are fine, but they're 16 years old. I would rather buy all new, and enjoy them for the foreseeable future. Why wait?

After 20 years or so, I will be in my 90's and thinking one day at a time.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

You did not provide much info on what is wrong with your range .... but typically, the entire glass top and the burners underneath are easily replaceable.

do a google search on parts for your make & model.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Gold member

Using the broiler there was a loud pop. It threw the breaker. After turning the breaker back on the stove top works, but the oven does not. The light works inside the oven, but not the elements. The controls for the oven and clock do not work. I am guessing it is the control board that sits behind the clock, since it only seems to be affecting the clock and the oven controls/clock buttons. So do I chance spending $200 to fix it and something else goes wrong (it is 10-1/2 years old) or spend $599 for a new one? We have the money, but would rather spend it on something besides a stove. My spouse says appliances only last 10 years, but I have heard others having appliances still going strong (maybe with 1 repair) for 15 or 20 years. Wonder what my odds are?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Platinum member

If it's the electronic control panel on the back of a GE range go to the GE website, type in your model # (found inside oven door) go to the parts section and get the part # and price. Then go on other appliance parts websites. Our neighbor replaced his for $54. It just plugged in when you took the old one out, no hard wiring. If you can't find the part # send me the model # and I'll get it for you.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 PM

At this point in most of our lives I would say replace the range and all other appliances if matching is a problem. You can't take it with you.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Aha. The key to the solution to the problem is your wife's comment that appliances only last 10 years. If you fix it and it doesn't last, cost more than you expect or has some continuing defect you lose. If you replace it , you acknowledge that your wife was right and as you know Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Platinum member

I would buy all new and charge it.
I figure the way the world is today.
He dies owing the most WINS

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 07-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Gold member

We bit the bullet and ordered a new one. I guess we will never know if it was $54 fix or not. We didn't want anything fancy, but ended up with one that has more features than what we need. It was the prettier one. LOL Ended up with one that has a feature where it steam cleans your oven. Maybe we can put our clothes in there and get the wrinkles out????? Probably will never use that feature, but we got a good price on the range considering price of this one with more features vs others in that price range. If we decide to sell, the next guy will appreciate us buying a new one.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
We bit the bullet and ordered a new one. I guess we will never know if it was $54 fix or not. We didn't want anything fancy, but ended up with one that has more features than what we need. It was the prettier one. LOL Ended up with one that has a feature where it steam cleans your oven. Maybe we can put our clothes in there and get the wrinkles out????? Probably will never use that feature, but we got a good price on the range considering price of this one with more features vs others in that price range. If we decide to sell, the next guy will appreciate us buying a new one.
U will not regret.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM

We have a GE gas range that is 13 years old. Had an ignition problem on the bottom burner of the oven and had Becks appliance repair come out. Rick Beck came out when he promised and fixed it quick. Reasonable price and he came highly recommended. Will contact him in the future if needed. He's been in business for over 30 years.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The appliances provided by the home builder are usually not top line. We have lived with our GE profile for 8 years but want certain features and so are on the hunt to update our kitchen with quality and functionality we feel is missing presently. It will be a long search because my wife is a very careful decision maker. To make a point we have been together for 58 years and she still hasn't decide if she made the right choice yet... or at least that what she tells me
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.