Shutting off water….

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2023, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
I learned a lesson regarding shutting off the house water and then relieving the pressure. As a handy neighbor, I agreed to replace the expansion tank on the top of a water heater. Normally a very easy task, but it needs to be done in a particular order. First, shut off the water, second, open a faucet to relieve the pressure, third remove and replace the tank, fourth, turn on the house water, fifth, close the faucet. Unfortunately, I did step three before step two. The 65 pounds of pressure that remained in the lines sprayed all over me, the closet, and my friend as I loosened the threads. We were very wet. Had I opened a faucet, there would have been very little water that dripped from the tank.
Easier method is to turn off the water and power to the water heater (or set gas heater to pilot) Attach a garden hose to the water heater. Open the TPR valve and turn the screw on the water heater drain valve. Let the water drain for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the drain valve, then remove expansion tank
Old 11-22-2023, 02:48 PM
Default Turn off the water to the entire house!

We're currently living the nightmare of a water heater rupture while we were out of town for 10 days.
We don't know how long the leak was occurring before water running down the driveway was spotted by my eagle-eye neighbor, but half the house was seriously damaged -- base cabinets in the master bath and laundry room were trashed. Custom closet cabinets are also damaged beyond repair. 2 feet of drywall in all flooded rooms had to be removed and the drying-out process is taking about 2 weeks. The house is uninhabitable. I think we are looking at damages beyond 40 grand. And all could have been avoided had I turned off the whole house water valve.

This is a 10-year-old house and the water heater is the original. Forensics on the dead water heater showed two possible contributing factors to the failure:
The drip pan drain line was not installed properly and there was evidence of poor grounding of the electrical wiring at the water heater itself.

My advice to everyone is:

Shut the water off to the entire house when going out of town for extended periods of time.

Do the preventative maintenance suggested by the water heater manufacturer, (see the manual that came with the heater).
Old 11-22-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
So, what is recommended for the gas instant HWH? Do I need to shut off gas supply too? And electric supply?

I keep forgetting to ask the plumber.
Shut the gas off that supplies the water heater. You can also unplug the blower on top of water heater.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It's more common sense than asking for others opinion.
Who will you blame should you not shut off water and have a major leak if you are away?
You obviously didn’t read my post or understand what it said. NOWHERE did I ask whether or not to shut the main water off.

The question was “should I relieve the pressure” AFTER shutting the water off.

Judging by the responses, it’s a toss up …..

I have done it both ways and was curious as to what others choose to do.

If you wish , you can provide an answer to the question rather than providing a snarky, useless response…..

Last edited by jarodrig; 11-24-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
You obviously didn’t read my post or understand what it said. NOWHERE did I ask whether or not to shut the main water off.

The question was “should I relieve the pressure” AFTER shutting the water off.

Judging by the responses, it’s a toss up …..

I have done it both ways and was curious as to what others choose to do.

If you wish , you can provide an answer to the question rather than providing a snarky, useless response…..
I would just add that, if you don't open a faucet, how do you know that the water is really turned off?
Old 11-24-2023, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would just add that, if you don't open a faucet, how do you know that the water is really turned off?
Good point but I had shut the water off and a day later , my landscaper went to use the side spigot and found that it was not working. So, I know eve valve functions as it should.

I had to give him access to the garage to turn the water on so that he could finish his job and he turned it back off upon leaving.

But again, good point…..
Closed Thread

Tags
house, shutting, water, opening, pressure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.