Sliding doors need lubricated?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2022, 08:41 AM
Default D

try some wd40
Old 02-15-2022, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

The only issue I’ve ever heard was the gas leaked out between the sliding door glass & the glass turned so Snow White you couldn’t see out. (Thermal Pane)
Old 02-15-2022, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I have not expert support for what I dew.

WD-40 on the lower track.
Wide it all off (clean) with a cotton cloth.
Repeat.

Then I use garage door track lubricant.
I got mine at Lowe's.
Spray the lower track.......run the doors open and closed a couple times.

Don't over spray, just collects dust.

All good it rollers and not locked up.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:27 AM

Use LC Wax especially made for aluminum. Get it at Ace. It is the best.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
The only issue I’ve ever heard was the gas leaked out between the sliding door glass & the glass turned so Snow White you couldn’t see out. (Thermal Pane)
The gas probably leaks out before the rollers lock up?
Old 02-15-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Our stackable sliders....4 double pane 8 foot high slders are very heavy.
I have cleaned and wiped down the tracks but the panels still seem very "stiff".

I do not want to use a lube (oil) of any kind....I thought maybe a silicone spray???

I am checking sliding window sources but wanted to see what some have done here.
There should be an adjustment for the rollers on the bottom side of each door/panel. The adjustment raises the door/panel so the door/panel slides on the bottom rollers.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I have cleaned and wiped down the tracks but the panels still seem very "stiff".

I do not want to use a lube (oil) of any kind....I thought maybe a silicone spray???

I am checking sliding window sources but wanted to see what some have done here.
You may need to replace the rollers. I had that done on my former home and the doors worked like new afterwards. I would strongly recommend using a pro or a couple of guys with lots of muscle.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:30 AM
Default http://www.floridaslidingglassdoorrepair.com/

Quote:

Florida Sliding Glass Door Repair, LLC
Old 02-15-2022, 11:49 AM

You should check if you have single or tantdem rollers on the sliding doors. Most sliding doors are installed with single rollers, which tend to ware quickly because of the construction debris that is left on the track. If the doors have only one roller at each side, have the rollers replaced with two, tandem rollers. Tandem rollers are built like the wheels on a trolley car or train. They distribute the weight better and the doors will slide with much less effort.

Click here for more info.... https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Pr...00A6G7PHO?th=1

Last edited by worahm; 02-15-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
WD40 is not the best choice of lubricant as it is sticky and sand and dirt tends to stick to it. I had a condo on the beach and was told to use a silicone spray instead which is not sticky. Just a suggestion. Thanks.
He is using it to clean not lubricate. He says he wipes it clean with a cotton cloth.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:40 PM

LC wax aluminum lubricant @ lowes, take hold in screw out not the adjustment screw this will allow lube to get on the rollers spray generously roll door back and forth this will make them roll better or make them worse if worse have rollers replaced.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysblue View Post
He is using it to clean not lubricate. He says he wipes it clean with a cotton cloth.
There's a silicone spray called CRC in a red and white can sold at Ace that is wet when sprayed then dries and lubricates on the surface, not sticky.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
There should be an adjustment for the rollers on the bottom side of each door/panel. The adjustment raises the door/panel so the door/panel slides on the bottom rollers.

After 20 or so years the adjustment are usually rusted so bad you can’t turn screw with out stripping slots out.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
There's a silicone spray called CRC in a red and white can sold at Ace that is wet when sprayed then dries and lubricates on the surface, not sticky.
You can spray it all you want, but if rollers are not turning and sliding it won’t do no good. Now it the rollers are rolling then yes.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:19 PM
Default Do NOT Use any lubricating on the Tracks of The Doors

We had a similar issue and called a company called “Bay Area Sliding Door Repair”. Home page Tampa Sliding Door Repairs | Bay Area Sliding Door Repairs | Free Quote and their phone # is 813.712.0211. They have a flat fee for each door based on the number of doors you have to repair. They came out, removed the doors, replaced the rollers on the bottom with stainless steel rollers, cleaned the tracks, installed the doors and aligned them for proper operation.
They told us to NOT EVER pressure wash the tracks or place any lubricant on them. This will only attract dirt and sand from blowing/raining storms. Since we have had them out we’ve been very satisfied with their work. Straight up front with the prices no matter how much time they need to spend. One of the technicians were the owner’s son. They were very polite and up front about what people experience with sliding doors. This is about all they do and travel from Lutz, Florida to all the beach communities. We live in Inverness, Florida and they traveled from Lutz to service our doors which is about 50 miles. Did a great job and told us if we have any other problems they’ll come out and make it good. This was done in 2020. Would recommend them to anyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
sliding, lube, oil, kind, thought

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.