Solar Tubes - Done it Yourself?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

As a person who climbs all over attics in The Villages every day, and inspects all aspects of the attic, including solar tubes, etc, please allow me to make a few short points.

1) Not all attic spaces in The Villages are the same. Some folks have attics that are huge and easily accessible. Other attics, particularly many Courtyard Villas have vaulted ceilings that are almost inaccessible in areas. Even in the bigger attics, areas close to the soffits are tight.

2) If you are having someone else install your solar tubes, make sure they replace the insulation around the tubes after the install. Many times I find the insulation moved away from the tubes and not replaced, thus causing an energy loss and a possible place where condensation and mold could occur in time.

3) Also make sure the installers pick up after themselves. I often find empty tubes of caulk, the "circle of drywall" ceiling thrown up there, etc.

I have seen enough issues in an attic caused by different types of aftermarket contractors that before the workers were done in my attic I'd hand them a digital camera and kindly ask them to take pictures of the area they were working in so I would know for sure they cleaned up, replaced insulation, did not cut support straps of the flexible ductwork, etc. I find all of these issues on a regular basis.....

Solar tubes installed correctly are a nice addition to some homes. I hardly ever find them causing leaks, which is a testament to the folks who install them daily that they seem to install them well around the roof. If one is comfortable on ladders and roofs and have a good knowledge base of proper flashing installation, etc, I think it would be a satisfying project for an Advanced DIY'er.

That being said, the biggest enemy of any home is moisture intrusion....so anything like this must be done properly....

Frank D'Angelo, ACI
Old 03-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,181 Times in 2,263 Posts

My neighbor (Sumter County), in the villages, just had one installed and the installer mentioned a $45 permit, you might want to check and see if permits are required for a roof penetration.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

We sell do-it-yourself kits. They are not a difficult product to install, (if you're a handy person) only taking about 2 hours. You are always welcome to come by our local showroom on 441 and talk with us. We can show you the product and walk you through the installation process as well. Worst case scenario we generally have between 5-8 technicians working the villages that could swing by if you get in over your head. The Solar Guys
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.