Streaming

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maistocars View Post
no issues with dual locations. If at one location for more than 3 months just change your home location - works great!
Do you have to change your home location after three months? I would prefer to keep our northern address as the home location for two reasons. First, we get the local network channels in the Villages already via our antenna. Second, I would like to keep access to the northern local channels when in the Villages because they cover some games of the sports teams I follow, especially the 1:00 Patriots games.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
I would like a phone number to set up a similar plan for our family. Many thanks for sharing this information.
Michael Murrell Marsh Bend
The Plan that I am on is the T-Mobile Magenta 55+ plan. They guaranteed at the time I signed up that they would not raise the price, and they haven't. I am paying $70 a month for two phones and $6.50 per month to upgrade the free Netflix, and there is tax on the $6.50 portion.

As I look at the website, I don't see the Magenta Plan still listed. I don't know if they have gotten rid of it or if it is still available but they are always very nice when I call, which is rarely, and I wish you good luck. Senior Unlimited 55+ Discounted Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

I totally agree with those who have said that YouTube TV is a great option for portability. I can use in Connecticut and seamlessly in The Villages on the same account for the same price, I don't need to have two different services.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomptomp View Post
T-Mobile has a 14 day free trial period with a $50 refundable deposit. I tried it. The service was so bad that the television constantly had to buffer and it was difficult to get my $50 back.
The 14 day trial starts the day you order the service NOT when you start using it. They finally sent me a partial refund, although I was still within the 14 days from ordering service. After much consternation I did receive the money I was due. They stink. Stay away.
I have TMobile in Virginia Trace. I have no problems with it. Because they are my cell phone carrier, I got the internet for $40 a month lifetime.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I would like a phone number to set up a similar plan for our family. Many thanks for sharing this information.
Michael Murrell Marsh Bend
I looked a little deeper into their website and found that the Magenta 55+ is still offered. $70 for two phones....it includes Netflix and Apple Plus for 6 months. And other perks. Tax included. Magenta 55+ is a great plan.

As others have mentioned, T-Mobile works great in The Villages. I haven't been everywhere, but everywhere I was had a strong signal. I get such good signal strength as my house that I do not have a conventional phone installed.

The 5g home internet service is discounted if you have the phone plan. They offered it to me for less than $50 price. However, I chose to go with Quantum Fiber, I didn't think 5g could compete with fiber for the same price.

Good luck to all. There are a lot of options out there and one size does not fit all.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I currently have Xfinity internet and TV basic Package at $200/Mo. If I switch to streaming at T-Mobile for $50 for internet, what is the best live streaming plan to get local TV and Live CNN and FOX News etc?
Get aa amplified TV antenna, $50 or less on Amazon, and a 25 foot flag pole to mount it. If you get a telescoping flag pole you can pull it down during storm events.
WUCF, WFTV both stream via Roku, and WESH and WKMG have YouTube channels.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I currently have Xfinity internet and TV basic Package at $200/Mo. If I switch to streaming at T-Mobile for $50 for internet, what is the best live streaming plan to get local TV and Live CNN and FOX News etc?
T-Mobile internet. It ain’t rocket science

The internet “box thing” T-Mobile gives you is basically a 5G phone combined with a wireless router (same as using your cell phones hotspot - to simplify the discussion). In other words no need to connect your cell phone to it as both pull from the same 5G network. You only need to connect your smart TV(s) or your Fire Stick, Roku, whatever device you choose to use to connect to the internet and “stream” with. They are all basically the same and all offer the same streaming apps such as Hulu, Apple+, YouTube and a multitude of others. All of which have some free trial period and then a monthly $.

As the T-Mobile “box thing” pulls from the 5G network, you do want to make sure you have decent 5G signal in your home. To do this, just look at your 5G cell phone. What do you have? 2, 3, 4 bars of 5G or none? A minimum 3 bars signal is good for streaming. Minimum 3 bars of 5G uc is very good (it’s hard to see the”uc” on your phone next to the 5G symbol - so get your peepers out!).

We use T-Mobile internet because we have a good 5Guc signal in the house. We have 2 Magenta Plus 55+ phone lines with T-Mobile so we get internet at $30/month (you have to ask for it).

As an Amazon Prime member, we use the Amazon Fire Stick as the device we connect to the T-Mobile internet - no additional cost. So, we get all the Prime TV movies and shows. T-Mobile also includes Netflix and Apple+ TV for free, so of course we watch those movies and shows. Prime TV also has an App called News (Not sure how they brainstormed that name. Lol!) that gives us local news channels such as WESH2 and others.

As far as NFL games, there are a number of apps that sell the NFL Sunday Ticket, including the NFL app. There are other apps you can get that let you watch ALL games for a lot less. Ask your football buddies about those apps. They know.

So in summary, I can sit in my recliner, remote in hand, able to watch more stuff than I’d ever want to for $30/month. But I don’t ‘cos I’d rather be golfing
Old 09-02-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
You will want to check the megs available from T-Mobile internet now, Maybe get it first and test before disconnecting your xfinity. I did that about s year ago and had to return the T-Mobile as it was inadequate for streaming. I was streaming hulu at the time but it didn’t matter what I streamed (prime, netflix, etc), it buffered way way too much. I kept xfinity internet at the time but have since changed to quantum thru century link as it was a bit cheaper. Good luck cutting the cable cord!
Old 09-03-2023, 05:44 AM
Smile Looking for a new Streaming Service: Sling Reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post

After looking over the various options, it looks like Sling is the best buy. Anyone have any feedback on using Sling? I have never heard of them, but they have a great buy on the channels we do watch (Fox, History, Discovery, and National Geographic}. Please advise.
Michael
Old 09-03-2023, 06:19 AM

Live in the south part of the Villages. Put an antenna up in my attic with a pre-amp. I get all of the locals, subchannels, and more. 50+ channels in all. Rarely lose signal unless there is a big storm right over me.

Xfinity internet - $55 per month. I have Amazon Prime and Britbox. Had Netflix, but was having problems with it and had seen most of what I wanted to see, so shut it off. I'll get ESPN plus in November when college basketball starts, shut it off in March. I only have Roku TVs. I think the interface is superior.

I get my phones via Xfinity, but the two years is coming up, so I am going to shop around once I'm done. They used to give the Peacock app for free, but now they charge.

Last edited by Battlebasset; 09-03-2023 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-03-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
After looking over the various options, it looks like Sling is the best buy. Anyone have any feedback on using Sling? I have never heard of them, but they have a great buy on the channels we do watch (Fox, History, Discovery, and National Geographic}. Please advise.
Michael
If flexible DVR services are important to you, my research indicates Sling is inferior to You Tube by a substantial amount. I would be interested in comments from others who use either service?
Old 09-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If flexible DVR services are important to you, my research indicates Sling is inferior to You Tube by a substantial amount. I would be interested in comments from others who use either service?
I believe I have used the DVR service on HuluLive only twice. It was nice to have when I wanted it but it turns out it isn't that important to us. It looks like Sling may provide 50 hours of DVR (not sure how flexible) which is more than I have ever used.

If access to true local channels without the need for an external antenna is important than that would rule out Sling. It turns out we don't watch those much either.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-03-2023, 09:45 AM
Default local channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccallum View Post
T-Mobile internet. It ain’t rocket science

. Prime TV also has an App called News (Not sure how they brainstormed that name. Lol!) that gives us local news channels such as WESH2 and others.

I just tried the NEWS on my Amazon Prime fire stick, but I am not able to get WESH live, I can get Newsmax, and some other stations live but nothing local. Is there a way to add that to the NEWS app?
Old 09-03-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
I just tried the NEWS on my Amazon Prime fire stick, but I am not able to get WESH live, I can get Newsmax, and some other stations live but nothing local. Is there a way to add that to the NEWS app?
Search the call letters of WESH and the other Orlando stations. At least a couple have their own app and will show their news live. You can also look for the "Local Now" app and there are other local news aggregator apps out there that include Orlando stations.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maistocars View Post
no issues with dual locations. If at one location for more than 3 months just change your home location - works great!
You are limited to two location changes in a calendar year. Besides that YTTV is fantastic.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:12 PM
Default Anyone have Difficulty Streaming Fox News with YouTube TV?

We are trying YouTube TV and are pretty happy with what we see, but occasionally Fox News will not show a picture...just audio. If we go out of the app a couple of times it will typically come in, but have not had that issue with our channels. Interested in your experience...BTW, we have 1 GIG speed and modem from Xfinity.
Closed Thread

Tags
streaming, internet, live, plan, local

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.