Termite / myself

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Default Termite / myself

Can I protect my home from TERMITES without spending $ 400 . I can do most anything around the house including spraying for bugs . But I've never attempted TERMITES . Suggestions appreciated !!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Gold member

I considered it. The Termidor material would have been about $200 for my house. However you have to dig a 6" trench around the perimeter, going behind shrubs and thru roots. Also to get proper coverage across cement areas (garage, lanai and walkway) professionals drill through the concrete, then inject the Termidor under the concrete. They also inject it around the perimeter, no digging.
I decided to leave it to the pros, and have a yearly bond. My treatment is good for 10 years.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Sage

Just google diy termite control about $50 for the chemical, same stuff the pros use.

Digging is not needed unless U have a real problem

The services are rip IMO, they play on your fears
Old 09-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you can do it but you do not have any insurance if something goes wrong.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing View Post
Can I protect my home from TERMITES without spending $ 400 . I can do most anything around the house including spraying for bugs . But I've never attempted TERMITES . Suggestions appreciated !!!!!!!
Yes you can do your own Termite treatment and possibly it would be done even better than the companies do it. For some reason we including myself feel more at ease with the promise of them paying for damages should we be unlucky enough to have damage. You will pay a hundred or so each year for them to do an inspection to check for termites in addition to the cost of the treatment. Always wondered what kind of a hassle we would have getting them to pay should we have damage but with the yearly inspection they should catch it before anything is needed beyond possibly treating any termites found. Doubt they have ever paid for structural damages with the yearly inspections but possibly they have.

Termidor and Premise are highly rated for termites and are both available from this site.

Click below:

Termite Pest Control Products & Treatment - How To Get Rid Of Termites | Do My Own Pest Control

There is a lot of information available on this site too and here is a link to how it is done:

How to do a termite treatment

Basic Termite Identification

There are three different types of termites that are likely to infest your home: Subterranean termites, drywood termites, and dampwood termites. Here is a brief description of each type.

Subterranean: Primary reproductives are black to pale yellow-brown in color; Wings are pale or smoky gray to brown in color with few visible veins; ¼ to 3/8 inch long. Secondary reproductives are white to cream in color, wingless, or very short wings. Workers make up the majority of a colony and are white in color, wingless, and ¼ to 3/8 inch long. Soldiers resemble workers in overall appearance, except with a slightly larger brownish head and more prominent mandibles or jaws.
Drywood: These colonies contain a caste system of workers, soldiers and reproductives, which are all up to ½ inch longer than subterranean termites. Workers make up the majority of the colony; they are about 1/8 inch long, white to cream in color, and have no wings. Soldiers defend the colony against other insects that might attack the colony; they are white and wingless with large brown heads and jaws. Reproductives are dark brown to black in color and have two pairs of wings that extend twice the length of the body.
Dampwood: The Dampwood termite is sometimes called the "rotten wood" termite and is associated with high moisture content and wood decay. At 3/8" to ¾" long, the dampwood termite is larger than both the drywood and subterranean. Soldiers defend the colony against other insects that might attack the colony; they have a flattened brown head with long dark brown to black mandibles. Reproductives are dark brown with brown wings. Nymphs are creamy colored with a spotted pattern on the abdomen caused by food in their intestines.

Articles on Termite Control and whether do-it-yourself termite work is right for you by recognizing situations that are conducive to do-it-yourself treatments, versus that pose a greater challenge for termite treatments. These articles include outlines of what to do for existing infestations, and preventative treatments.

Website above has this information below:

1. How to Choose a Professional Termite Company - You have decided to call in the pros or maybe you have started your own treatments but needs some back up. These pointers will help you choose a company you can trust.

2. Do Your Own Subterranean Termite Inspection at Home - Every good termite treatment program begins with a thorough inspection to determine trouble spots. Find out how. This article includes a list of the most common signs of termite infestation.

3. Termite baiting is a fairly simple process and can be used as a tool to monitor termite activity early on before infestations flare up. Installing bait stations around your home provide excellent control when combined with a barrier/soil treatment. The following articles will assist you in successful termite baiting: Termite Baiting Systems, Firstline and Advance termite baiting systems, Do Your Own Termite Baiting, Advantages and Disadvantages of Termite Baiting

4. Barrier/ Soil Treatments for Termite Control- Discusses how to do your own preventative barrier and soil treatments both pre- and post-construction, using products like Timbor, Termidor, and Cyper WP. Soil treatments form a barrier to prevent termites from entering your home through gaps, cracks, crawl spaces, or wooden elements in the foundation.

5. What to Do When Termites Infest Your Furniture- Hey, wait a second! That's YOUR armchair! - What you can do to reclaim your recliner when Drywood Termites or other wood-destroying insects take over the sitting room.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If your house is relatively new, a termite treatment is a waste of money. If your house is older, you may choose to have an inspection, but if nothing is found, I'm not a believer in doing a "treatment."

It amazes me that these company will only guarantee a treatment for say, 5 years. But what they use remains in the ground, contaminating the ground forever.

By the way -- all termite treatments are not the same.
The type of termite determines what they use and where they apply the treatment.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Sage

Bonanza - that is incorrect information. As I said on a previous post we had $25k in damage in a relatively new home in Jax Beach Florida. Age has nothing to do with it - the quality of the initial treatment determines if you are going to have a problem or not.
And then yes, the need for future treatments to deter the little buggers.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Sage

Here Massy says I was good for 5-7 years easy on the new build
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Here Massy says I was good for 5-7 years easy on the new build
I wonder if Massy told the termites that!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Sage

they sent the termites emails
Old 09-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Bonanza - that is incorrect information. As I said on a previous post we had $25k in damage in a relatively new home in Jax Beach Florida. Age has nothing to do with it - the quality of the initial treatment determines if you are going to have a problem or not.
And then yes, the need for future treatments to deter the little buggers.
Out of curiosity, what was the damage, were you the original owner, and how old was the house?

You are right; age has nothing to do with it but I find what you are saying very unusual without knowing more details.
I'm not sure what you mean about the "quality of the initial treatment."
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Sage

The house was approximately 6 years old. We were the second owners. Apparently the termite damage was not detected during our termite inspection (Terminix - didn't want to hear anything about anything - not their problem.) In hindsight we should have taken them to court). There was a column on the lanai that was badly damaged. It supported the 2nd story balcony that also had major damage. A wall adjacent to the balcony had to be rebuilt. Jacks were brought in to support the balcony while the work was being done.

When I mention the quality of the initial treatment I am simply referring to the fact that not everyone does their job right. I am guessing this house was treated in a care free manner that allowed the infestation - protection may have never been there at all for all I know. Oh, and did I mention this was a stucco home? They love the stuff once it gets wet! And that is why I will never go without treatment and a bond again. I learned a lot from that experience how damage should be handled with the termite company going forward.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The house was approximately 6 years old. We were the second owners. Apparently the termite damage was not detected during our termite inspection (Terminix - didn't want to hear anything about anything - not their problem.) In hindsight we should have taken them to court). There was a column on the lanai that was badly damaged. It supported the 2nd story balcony that also had major damage. A wall adjacent to the balcony had to be rebuilt. Jacks were brought in to support the balcony while the work was being done.

When I mention the quality of the initial treatment I am simply referring to the fact that not everyone does their job right. I am guessing this house was treated in a care free manner that allowed the infestation - protection may have never been there at all for all I know. Oh, and did I mention this was a stucco home? They love the stuff once it gets wet! And that is why I will never go without treatment and a bond again. I learned a lot from that experience how damage should be handled with the termite company going forward.
Wow! Now I understand. I have never heard such a horror story concerning termites. There is no question in my mind that the original builder tried to get away cheap with the original treatment. Even if he was not aware of what the termite guy was doing, it was still his responsibility. Yours was a terrible situation but at least now it's behind you.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing View Post
Where can I get someone to do it for $400?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.