Thompson's Water Sealer

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Unhappy Thompson's Water Sealer

Regretfully, I sprayed a coat of this water sealer on my pourous concrete patio recently. I had plans to later paint the patio with a good patio primer and paint. Now I find that you cannot paint anything over the water sealer and God knows how long it will take the sealer to wear off.

I have searched for ideas on how to remove the sealer, with no luck. I have a good amount of muratic acid onhand and was wondering if it will remove the water sealer. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? Will the muratic acid work for me? Any replys will be greatly appreciated.

Cashort
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Sage

Welcome to TOTV!

Just checked the can of Thompson's Water Sealer in the garage and it said you can paint over it with oil base paint.

It says to clean brushes and equipment with mineral spirits.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashort View Post
Regretfully, I sprayed a coat of this water sealer on my pourous concrete patio recently. I had plans to later paint the patio with a good patio primer and paint. Now I find that you cannot paint anything over the water sealer and God knows how long it will take the sealer to wear off.

I have searched for ideas on how to remove the sealer, with no luck. I have a good amount of muratic acid onhand and was wondering if it will remove the water sealer. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? Will the muratic acid work for me? Any replys will be greatly appreciated.

Cashort
Found this on Thompson's web site:
On EXTERIOR SURFACES such as Wood & Composite Decks, Fences, Concrete & Masonry, Outdoor Furniture, Roofs & Siding: Stains from dirt, mildew, algae and fungus with a non-bleach, chlorine-free oxygenated foaming formula. Thompson's® WaterSeal® Oxy Foaming Action Exterior Multi-Surface Cleaner

Maybe send them an email and ask their advice.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Paint your patio with the Rust-Oleum epoxy paint. First pressure wash the patio which will remove a lot of the Thompsons water seal. The acid etching mix that is the second step will remove the rest. Then pressure wash again and the paint will adhere.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i would just call the guy, and let him fix it...but that's just me
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. As it turned out, I washed the patio down real good using muratic acid/water mix. Then rinsed it down real good. I then used baking soda and water to cover the patio, which neutralized the acid. As soon as it dries now, I am going to put two good coats of latex exterior concrete paint on it.

Thanks Again Folks!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Sage

With latex, plan on re-coating yearly. The sun is not your friend.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've not had good luck with epoxy paints, be careful. Like Mulligan says, you'll be doing it again - and again, and again. Talk to Amy Newsome (her name and number are on this board). I've done it both ways, you're best off leaving this to a pro. Water sealer is bad news, sorry friend.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.