Tip - Faucet Aerator Tool

Old 01-11-2024, 08:12 AM

I needed to replace my clogged aerator about a year ago. It was not just calcium deposits; it seemed like there were tiny pieces of stuff in it.

I could not figure out how to remove it. I went to Lowe’s and they sold me a set of four key-like tools and the correct one easily removed the aerator. I went back to Lowe’s to buy a new one once I knew what it looked like and they wanted something like $75 for it. The Lowe’s employee asked me if I had a Delta faucet, which I do have. He said that Delta would send me a new one for free if I called them. I did. They sent me a new one and it included the removal tool.

Check with Delta first before you spend money!
Old 01-11-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you haven't removed your faucet aerators in a long time, good luck, especially if you have a plastic "hidden" recessed aerator. These come with a round plastic tool for removal, but I spent several days trying unsuccessfully to remove two aerators. I had a plumber at my house doing another project and I asked him to remove it. He couldn't and suggested that I buy a new kitchen faucet. Today, I received this Danco tool from Amazon, and the aerator came right off.

Amazon.com
Thanks for the info. Can we all just borrow yours?? 😇
Old 01-11-2024, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you haven't removed your faucet aerators in a long time, good luck, especially if you have a plastic "hidden" recessed aerator. These come with a round plastic tool for removal, but I spent several days trying unsuccessfully to remove two aerators. I had a plumber at my house doing another project and I asked him to remove it. He couldn't and suggested that I buy a new kitchen faucet. Today, I received this Danco tool from Amazon, and the aerator came right off.

Amazon.com
I just use my old Channellock pliers with a wash cloth around the aerator to avoid scraping the finish. Never fails.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
On the same subject I soak our shower head over night in vinegar
and what a difference it made.
It made the stream so much softer then before.
Me too. Great plumbing hack. Works very well for kitchen sink sprayers too.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:45 AM

Helpful post, thank you.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
I just use my old Channellock pliers with a wash cloth around the aerator to avoid scraping the finish. Never fails.
That's only for external threaded aerators. The OP has the 'new' style with internal threads.

Last edited by dougawhite; 01-11-2024 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:

Amazon.com
Sometimes they can’t be removed due to galvanic corrosion? Most all of mine were pot metal, seems plastic has replaced them.

Pair of vise grips alway worked for me. Fine line from being too loose or too tight and sometimes requires little working back and forth?
Old 01-11-2024, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
On the same subject I soak our shower head over night in vinegar
and what a difference it made.
It made the stream so much softer then before.
IMO CLR works the best.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

For the record, before I used the Danco tool, I tried vinegar, CLR, Lime Away, two types of WD-40, and Goof Off. The aerator wouldn't budge.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:24 PM

If clogged, tie a bag with vinegar around the faucet opening to dissolve deposits.

Contacted Delta, the manufacturer, who said tool was provided with the faucet. Installer probably tossed it. Delta agreed to send another and did. Plastic tool. Good luck. I did the vinegar which worked.

Tags
faucet, aerator, tool, plastic, remove

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.