Tip - Hunter Irrigation Controller

Old 02-23-2024, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

I got rid of the POS hunter system with the wand (which worked 1/2 the time) and went with the orbit b-hyve controller for about $60 and it takes 5 mins to install and 30 mins to program. I’ve had this in my other houses and I’ve converted a dozen friends from various controllers to the b-hyve. You can control this right from your iPhone/ipad/siri. Plus the b-hyve will sync to your nearest government weather station or you can connect it to a close by personal weather station.

For around $150, I installed my own personal weather station and the b-hyve is connected to it. With the rain so spotty here in the villages, I want to know how much rain I received not how much somebody got a mile from here. The people that I got converted over to the b-hyve near me point to my personal weather station.

My weather station data gets updated to weather underground and to weathercloud every 10 seconds so I can check out my weather stats online.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:16 AM

I’m on the other side of this. I love my Hunter with wifi. I can control it from wherever I am. It’s been working great for 3 years.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 AM
Default Seasonal is a setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
automatically changed my watering times to 10 percent of the times that I had programmed.
It sounds like the software setting for seasonal is not "sticking" to the value you chose...so your solution is a good one...

Seasonal override is indeed adjustable per the manual "Seasonal adjust can be increased so that the stations will run longer than the programmed time. Conversely, as Fall approaches, the seasonal adjust can be reduced to allow for short watering durations. Turn the dial to the SEASONAL ADJUST position. Press the or buttons to set the percentage desired from 5% to 300%."
Old 02-23-2024, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmcbriz View Post
Solar sync makes the system seasonal smart. It recognizes its winter and you don’t need the same amount of water on the lawn as July. It automatically adjusts so you don’t have to go in periodically and make seasonal adjustments (based on sunlight). Right now my system is watering 30% less than July and I don’t have to do anything. Technology is a good thing.
My system never seemed to operate that way. The manual says to set the watering times and then set the seasonal adjust setting to 100 percent. But, my system always lowered the seasonal adjust setting to substantially lower than 100 regardless of the season, even though the manual says that the setting can go up to as high as 300 percent. I also noticed that other houses on my street had different Region settings, either 2, 3, or 4, even though they were all installed by the same irrigation company. I think the solar sync is overly complicated, and I would rather make manual adjustments to the watering schedule based on the season and the appearance of my lawn.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
It sounds like the software setting for seasonal is not "sticking" to the value you chose...so your solution is a good one...

Seasonal override is indeed adjustable per the manual "Seasonal adjust can be increased so that the stations will run longer than the programmed time. Conversely, as Fall approaches, the seasonal adjust can be reduced to allow for short watering durations. Turn the dial to the SEASONAL ADJUST position. Press the or buttons to set the percentage desired from 5% to 300%."
I believe you will find that manual seasonal adjust is overridden by the software if you have a Solar Sync installed. Retiredguy solved this "problem" by disconnecting the Solar Sync.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-23-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Sensor for sunlight & temperature.

"Solar Sync measures sunlight and temperature, and uses ET to determine the correct seasonal adjustment percentage value to send to the controller. The controller then uses its programmed run time and adjusts to Solar Sync's seasonal adjustment value to modify the actual irrigation run time for that day."
Agreed! It’s especially important when temperatures are expected to be within freezing range. It will keep your landscape from becoming a winter wonderland covered with a coating of ice.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post

As others have said, the seasonal adjust setting is controlled by the solar sync sensor. It is designed that way. You may think you are watering for 30 minutes, but the solar sync sensor can change it. So, it is important to check the seasonal adjust setting peroiodically to determine how long you are actually watering your lawn.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I only use automatic when not at home for weeks. Otherwise I manually run it. I don’t have grass only tropicals and bushes. The other day with at least 2” or more rain during my walk I seen water irrigation running. Every on dry days I see irrigation water running down street for 20 minutes or more. Lots of people like wasting water and higher water bills in my neck of woods.
South of 466, watering in the rain does not waste water. What is not used by soil is collected by the ponds for reuse.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
South of 466, watering in the rain does not waste water. What is not used by soil is collected by the ponds for reuse.
Even when the rain sensor works as designed, it is not very effective, especially when you are only watering 2 times per week. If it rains for 2 or 3 days, I just turn the system off.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I have a Hunter with WiFi on my Massachusetts home and I hate the app. Not user friendly. I just replaced my Villages controller with Rachio and I love it. I removed the rain sensor and just use the weather forecast capability of the Rachio.
Our Hydrawise app is very user-friendly. It uses the ‘local’ rainfall in Leesburg airport (the nearest source) I can adjust up or down from there.
I will comment that I occasionally run mine an extra cycle here and there to ensure the potted plants get adequate watering since they do dry out quicker than the ground plants.
We are part time and in a courtyard villa.

Last edited by Summerhouse; 02-23-2024 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 02-23-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I got rid of the POS hunter system with the wand (which worked 1/2 the time) and went with the orbit b-hyve controller for about $60 and it takes 5 mins to install and 30 mins to program. I’ve had this in my other houses and I’ve converted a dozen friends from various controllers to the b-hyve. You can control this right from your iPhone/ipad/siri. Plus the b-hyve will sync to your nearest government weather station or you can connect it to a close by personal weather station.

For around $150, I installed my own personal weather station and the b-hyve is connected to it. With the rain so spotty here in the villages, I want to know how much rain I received not how much somebody got a mile from here. The people that I got converted over to the b-hyve near me point to my personal weather station.

My weather station data gets updated to weather underground and to weathercloud every 10 seconds so I can check out my weather stats online.
But do you have water running down street watering the storm drain for 20 plus minutes?
Old 02-23-2024, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
/////

Last edited by Topspinmo; 02-23-2024 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 02-23-2024, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
What if ponds are low? Are wasting money? Not everybody lives south of 466.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
Better tip: remove and replace with a Rachio.
I agree completely. You can set it to use Rachio's standard weather information or set it to a nearby weather station in your village.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
Better tip: remove and replace with a Rachio.

And I had a personal weather station at my previous home and wanted one here. Getting the Rachio gave me the extra push to set up a station here. I have the Rachio looking at my personal weather station and no longer have to rely on a "rain sensor" that is known for being unreliable. Several neighbors have also gotten a Rachio and connect it to my station. I've been using it for about 3 1/2 months and so far have saved almost $45 in irrigation costs. I expect greater savings as time goes on as I expect I was overwatering last spring and summer.

Tags
setting, percent, sensor, controller, seasonal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.