TV on Lanai (not enclosed by glass)

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Default TV on Lanai (not enclosed by glass)

Does anyone have a TV mounted in their Lanai that is not enclosed? If so, would humidity harm it so long as it remains protected from rain/sprinklers, etc? We are thinking of mounting one to watch outside but we have a birdcage around our pool rather than a Lanai and are concerned that the humidity could pose a problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM

As was suggested on the Talk, I purchased an inexpensive 32" TV at Best Buy and bought the five (5) year warranty that covers moisture. I put the TV on my Lanai and so far no problems. The Warranty was about $40. on a TV that cost $169.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Our lanai is now glassed but we had our wall mounted flat screen tv out there for over a year with no problems. Our lanai is only 11 feet wide so sometimes rain blew in but never caused a problem to the tv.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodatsaywhodat View Post
As was suggested on the Talk, I purchased an inexpensive 32" TV at Best Buy and bought the five (5) year warranty that covers moisture. I put the TV on my Lanai and so far no problems. The Warranty was about $40. on a TV that cost $169.
Doesn't it bother your neighbors? I mean music is one thing but a Tv going 10 ft from where I am sitting would sure bother me.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Default TV on Lanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Doesn't it bother your neighbors? I mean music is one thing but a Tv going 10 ft from where I am sitting would sure bother me.
We have a large yard and our closest neighbor to the right of us would be about 50 ft away.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTY Sparky View Post
We have a large yard and our closest neighbor to the right of us would be about 50 ft away.
Good to hear you are so considerate. We've had problems in the past with a neighbor's tv that is much closer.. I think some people don't realize how the concrete lanais magnify the sound..
Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Our lanai TV has Bluetooth capability. We bought a Bluetooth speaker that handles the TV sound and place it next to us facing toward the house. That way we are not streaming sound out toward our neighbors and we can hear everything well.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,857 Times in 3,691 Posts

Have one mounted outside, but it does have a quick release and take it in if I we are gone for a period of time. No issues.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Gold member

They make TV sets for the out doors but I have friends who have had a set outside mounted high for years with no problems. I would not leave it there if you are gone for the summer though.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
We live on a pond so there are no neighbors behind us.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Gold member

Have a TV on our screened lanai for several years and never have had a problem with the TV or my neighbors!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Sage

Two years plus in an open lanai with no issues so far. It is up away from any direct rain.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,307 Posts

I actually built an enclosure for the TV and mounted both to the block wall. This protects the TV from humidity, and it keeps it out of sight, unless it is being used. Been out there for a few months so far no problems.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I envy all of you who back on water or are far enough away from your neighbors to be able to do this. I plan on getting one of those blue tooth speakers for inside my house so I can have a louder volume next my chair and not bother other people and avoid running speaker wire glad to hear they work well.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Someone's music is as irritating as a tv, in my opinion, as we don't all like the same music. It's being respectful and considerate to your neighbors when making the decision to install a tv on a screened-in lanai or deciding to play music.

We have no neighbors behind us. Our neighbors on one side have no lanai as they turned their lanai into an enclosed Florida room. Our neighbor on the other side has also enclosed his lanai into a Florida room. So when we decided to add a tv to our screened-in lanai, we were certain it wouldn't bother anyone. To make sure, we asked our neighbors, after a while, and they said NO...they couldn't hear a thing.

Then we decided to glass in our lanai so we now know all is well, for sure.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.