Vehicle Maintenance

Old 03-20-2024, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,741 Times in 5,255 Posts
Default Vehicle Maintenance

Call me crazy, but, for the last 40 years or so, I have ignored the manufacturer's recommended routine maintenance schedule for the vehicles I have owned, except for motor oil changes. Also, I never use a dealer for anything except a warranty issue. I always buy new vehicles and never drive them more than 80-100K miles. I have not had any significant repair problems. Do you adhere to the maintenance schedule, and do you think that it is money well spent?
Old 03-20-2024, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Call me crazy, but, for the last 40 years or so, I have ignored the manufacturer's recommended routine maintenance schedule for the vehicles I have owned, except for motor oil changes. Also, I never use a dealer for anything except a warranty issue. I always buy new vehicles and never drive them more than 80-100K miles. I have not had any significant repair problems. Do you adhere to the maintenance schedule, and do you think that it is money well spent?
You know more than I do about engines but for me, I pretty much go by the maintenance schedule especially for changing oil as I want a mechanic to give my car a good look so as to prevent problems in the future
Old 03-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

First, Crazy.

Second, I do not follow very closely.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

I have two FREE services per year, for five years so I have no problem taking my car to the dealer, even though I have very low mileage. That way, I make sure it gets washed at least twice a year, ha,ha.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,461 Posts

I do all my maintenance based on conditions. I never every exceeded the oil change intervals. As far as scheduling recommendations I determine based conditions of fluid and environment the vehicle in. On my present car with 71K miles and 12 years old, I’ve changed antifreeze, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid not based on miles but time and condition.

I change my battery here in Florida around 5 year mark if it last that long based on evaluation of battery with Ancel BST200 analyze and I can hear the car winding slower when starting knowing the battery getting week.

I worked on cars, heavy equipment, tractors, aircraft engines, lawnmowers, motorcycles, I seen it all.
IMO you HAVE to At least check oil monthly and change oil every year regardless of miles, but that me, I know what it does to insides of engines. If you plan on keeping car for well over the average I suggest you don’t follow maintenance schedules or oil manufacturers recommendations, but base it on conditions. I have to ask why do you trade at 80K? Most vehicles now days will go over 300K miles with limited preventative maintenance? Once most new vehicle leaves lot it drops dramatically in valve every year for first 5 years after that it levels off IMO.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:07 AM

2 items I check and maintain properly, blinker fuid and knuter valve replacement.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,741 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I do all my maintenance based on conditions. I never every exceeded the oil change intervals. As far as scheduling recommendations I determine based conditions of fluid and environment the vehicle in. On my present car with 71K miles and 12 years old, I’ve changed antifreeze, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid not based on miles but time and condition.

I change my battery here in Florida around 5 year mark if it last that long based on evaluation of battery with Ancel BST200 analyze and I can hear the car winding slower when starting knowing the battery getting week.

I worked on cars, heavy equipment, tractors, aircraft engines, lawnmowers, motorcycles, I seen it all.
IMO you HAVE to At least check oil monthly and change oil every year regardless of miles, but that me, I know what it does to insides of engines. If you plan on keeping car for well over the average I suggest you don’t follow maintenance schedules or oil manufacturers recommendations, but base it on conditions. I have to ask why do you trade at 80K? Most vehicles now days will go over 300K miles with limited preventative maintenance? Once most new vehicle leaves lot it drops dramatically in valve every year for first 5 years after that it levels off IMO.
300,000 miles? At 7,500 miles per year, I would be driving a 40-year old vehicle. I think it makes more sense to replace a car more often to take advantage of the newer safety features.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
2 items I check and maintain properly, blinker fuid and knuter valve replacement.
I had my car knutered.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post

Better check your muffler bearing due from lack of lubrication and change that old air in your tires.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I had my car knutered.
My dog got out and spent the night away from home. When he returned my wife took him to the vet to get him fixed. I told her I thought that was kinda extreme and that he was just sowing his seed as nature intended.

She looked me square in the eyes and said if I go running around she'd do the same to me.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:28 PM

It all depends on the routine maintenance that I would consider as“needed”. Fuel injector cleaning, no. Coolant flush, yes. Just saying.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:14 PM

When my daughter got married, I did not lose a daughter. I gained a mechanic. Win! Win!

Tags
maintenance, schedule, vehicles, 80-100k, miles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.