Vehicle Tip

Old 11-12-2023, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts
Default Vehicle Tip

Yesterday, my SUV started acting up. The vehicle kept trying to relock every few seconds while driving and when I turned off the vehicle, the horn started beeping. I finally figured out that I needed to replace the battery in the key FOB. Problem solved.

A key FOB battery may last 3 years or so, but eventually it needs to be replaced. Also, it is a good idea to read the manual and learn how to unlock and start the vehicle when the key FOB battery fails.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yesterday, my SUV started acting up. The vehicle kept trying to relock every few seconds while driving and when I turned off the vehicle, the horn started beeping. I finally figured out that I needed to replace the battery in the key FOB. Problem solved.

A key FOB battery may last 3 years or so, but eventually it needs to be replaced. Also, it is a good idea to read the manual and learn how to unlock and start the vehicle when the key FOB battery fails.
I probably should replace mine. I bought my car new in 2010, and haven't ever changed the battery on either key that came with it.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Mine needs replacing more often. I suspect keeping it my pocket results in higher battery usage due to buttons being pressed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 11-12-2023, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Another tip, change your oil don’t wait on light to come on. That could take couple years if you don’t put enough mile to trip it. If you got turbo charged engine I wouldn’t go over 5000 miles or 6 months. Non turbo engine year maybe, but that’s pushing it. You don’t want VVT or piston rings coking up and sticking. Now if you trade every three years don’t matter it will be the next person’s problems.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I probably should replace mine. I bought my car new in 2010, and haven't ever changed the battery on either key that came with it.

Probably depends on how much you use it and make model? My key fob only sends out singles when I push the bottom, my ancient 2012 still has actual key and I haven’t replaced battery yet. Key Fob carrying around in your pocket using battery power majority of time. So naturally the batteries will go dead quicker.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 11-14-2023 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

We had a 2008 Honda CRV and replaced the battery a couple of months ago, not because it went bad, but because we gave the car to our daughter.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Also important to do when it does fail. Things change by model and year. My 2013 VW Golf only is necessary to open and close the door locks. The key fob has a key which is always used to start the car.

However, it is also used to unlock the door once you locate the hidden key slot under a cap on the door handle. Not a big deal unless you don't know about the hidden slot.

Each car has its own technique. Learn yours now. Learn where the spare key is located in some FOBs. Learn what kind of battery is used and how to replace . Learn by changing now and then keep an accessible spare.

Don't read this and then wait until it happens.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

And. Replace the vehicle battery itself. Our hot weather does a job on the 12v battery. The original battery of our 2015 died in our garage a few years ago. No indication of an issue at all. So it was about 6 years old and one morning the car was dead in our garage. Our only car.

I had to have remote service come out to our house to install a new battery. At twice the cost it would have if I brought it to a service center.

Lesson learned. Replace your battery at least every 4-5 years to be safe. Fair warning folks.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
And. Replace the vehicle battery itself. Our hot weather does a job on the 12v battery. The original battery of our 2015 died in our garage a few years ago. No indication of an issue at all. So it was about 6 years old and one morning the car was dead in our garage. Our only car.

I had to have remote service come out to our house to install a new battery. At twice the cost it would have if I brought it to a service center.

Lesson learned. Replace your battery at least every 4-5 years to be safe. Fair warning folks.
No sense replacing it until it’s shot. Get a jump start and drive to one of the many auto parts stores in the area. They’ll install a new one for free (a tip is also nice).

Old 11-12-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
No sense replacing it until it’s shot. Get a jump start and drive to one of the many auto parts stores in the area. They’ll install a new one for free (a tip is also nice).
I have met a lot of Villagers who think Tipping is a city in China.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:11 AM
Default Carabiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Mine needs replacing more often. I suspect keeping it my pocket results in higher battery usage due to buttons being pressed.
I keep my key fob on a carabiner and attach it to my belt loop, so there is no unintentional button pressing. I have however activated the car alarm getting out of the car a couple of times. I leaned on the alarm button while getting out, but at least I know it works 😜

Old 11-13-2023, 07:10 AM
Default tesla?

heard of Teslas having lockout problems

Old 11-13-2023, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The antithesis of a well maintained mechanical device, upon which you depend for most of your significant / important activities in life, such as medical appointments, vacations, trips to airport for vacation, family holidays.

This strategy is very inconvenient if the car dies on these particular days, and crapping out on some of those days are a lot more expensive than other days, ie, a missed vacation flight. Obviously this poster has never worked in operations, where the whole operation shuts down for maintenance issues is a big net loss for the organization.

Personally, the dumbest operational strategy i have ever read. Also reads like a academic / consulting financial strategy to save money, like the railroads deferring regular track maintenance, until the tracks give way and the accident rail cars contain very poisonous / flammable contents. .

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 11-13-2023 at 07:34 AM.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,374 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Déjà vu.
Changed both my wife's and my own only two weeks ago.
Car messages me every 2-3 years, so change both each time.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
heard of Teslas having lockout problems
Yes I have. They actually issued a service bulletin about opening the door in cold weather and the door would freeze shut in cold weather. Luckily we don't have that problem here but my friend had it happen a few times in Michigan.

Tags
vehicle, battery, fob, key, started

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.