Vehicle Tip

Old 11-13-2023, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Another tip, change your oil don’t wait on light to come on. That could take couple years if you don’t put enough mile to trip it. If you got turbo charged engine I wouldn’t go over 5000 miles or 6 months. Non turbo engine year maybe, but that’s pushing it. You don’t want VVT or piston rings coking up and sticking. Now if you trade every three years don’t matter it will be the next person’s problems.
I always buy top grade synthetic and change my oil every 10,000 miles. With one car, that's an oil change around every 8-10 months, with my other car, that's an oil change every two years. Never, ever had a problem doing that.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:11 AM
Default Rtfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yesterday, my SUV started acting up. The vehicle kept trying to relock every few seconds while driving and when I turned off the vehicle, the horn started beeping. I finally figured out that I needed to replace the battery in the key FOB. Problem solved.

A key FOB battery may last 3 years or so, but eventually it needs to be replaced. Also, it is a good idea to read the manual and learn how to unlock and start the vehicle when the key FOB battery fails.
And your reading comprehension had better be on high alert with these kinds of operations. Ask me how I know. :-)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The antithesis of a well maintained mechanical device, upon which you depend for most of your significant / important activities in life, such as medical appointments, vacations, trips to airport for vacation, family holidays.

This strategy is very inconvenient if the car dies on these particular days, and crapping out on some of those days are a lot more expensive than other days, ie, a missed vacation flight. Obviously this poster has never worked in operations, where the whole operation shuts down for maintenance issues is a big net loss for the organization.

Personally, the dumbest operational strategy i have ever read. Also reads like an academic / consulting financial strategy to save money, like the railroads deferring regular track maintenance, until the tracks give way and the accident rail cars contain very poisonous / flammable contents. .
hi coach I would add to that strategy the new Boston transit green line which cost 2.3 billion and opened in 2022 and has to have over 50% of the track widened which they knew in 2021 and went forward with anyway ,There are parts of line where the cars go so slow that people actually could walk faster
Old 11-13-2023, 10:42 AM

Always a good idea to have a regular maintenance schedule for batteries and such.

Put a reminder on your calendar (or phone). Good to know about the fob - but I change the batteries in my smoke alarm every year on my b'day, and I reseal my granite countertops on July 4th.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I always buy top grade synthetic and change my oil every 10,000 miles. With one car, that's an oil change around every 8-10 months, with my other car, that's an oil change every two years. Never, ever had a problem doing that.

Yet. Must be one who trades every couple years. If you have turbo 10K way too long.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:10 AM

The key fob battery on my 2018 CRV died in just over 3 years in the middle of a long trip. I now replace the battery annually and carry a new one in my glove box. Overkill? Yes, but no more trying to find a replacement battery on I-77 in the West Virginia mountains for me.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
The antithesis of a well maintained mechanical device, upon which you depend for most of your significant / important activities in life, such as medical appointments, vacations, trips to airport for vacation, family holidays.

This strategy is very inconvenient if the car dies on these particular days, and crapping out on some of those days are a lot more expensive than other days, ie, a missed vacation flight. Obviously this poster has never worked in operations, where the whole operation shuts down for maintenance issues is a big net loss for the organization.

Personally, the dumbest operational strategy i have ever read. Also reads like a academic / consulting financial strategy to save money, like the railroads deferring regular track maintenance, until the tracks give way and the accident rail cars contain very poisonous / flammable contents. .
The day you start paying for my vehicle's maintenance and repair is the day I'll take your diatribe for anything other than a pompous, self-serving response.

I've gotten along pretty well all these years without your sage advice. Would I replace a $250 battery just because it reached a certain age? Absolutely not. But hey, if this is something you do, by all means have at it.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Would I replace a $250 battery just because it reached a certain age? Absolutely not. But hey, if this is something you do, by all means have at it.
Yes, my F250 batteries, (2) are now 4.5 years old and am replacing them as winter is approaching, each cost approximately $190. Having led a transportation operations unit for several years in a highly regulated industry, maintenance for dependability is very high on the list of continued success. . waiting until items fail for maintenance is the antithesis of a proper operational strategy.

So as with everything, it works until it doesn't work.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, my F250 batteries, (2) are now 4.5 years old and am replacing them as winter is approaching, each cost approximately $190. Having led a transportation operations unit for several years in a highly regulated industry, maintenance for dependability is very high on the list of continued success. . waiting until items fail for maintenance is the antithesis of a proper operational strategy.

So as with everything, it works until it doesn't work.
I don’t lead a “transportation operations unit”. Just my wife’s vehicle and mine. Quite frankly there’s not a soul I’ve ever known in all my years that has ever proactively replaced a battery. Maybe I’m the anomaly!

But back to RG123’s post, he has some good advice

Last edited by photo1902; 11-13-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
No sense replacing it until it’s shot. Get a jump start and drive to one of the many auto parts stores in the area. They’ll install a new one for free (a tip is also nice).
????? That’s your advice? I believe in Preventative maintenance. Cheap money in the long run.

So perhaps run the tires bald, put on a spare when one goes flat then go to the tire shop.

So perhaps run the car until the engine oil is thick and black. When the engine starts to tick, plan for that oil change.

I could go on, but….
Old 11-13-2023, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
????? That’s your advice? I believe in Preventative maintenance. Cheap money in the long run.

So perhaps run the tires bald, put on a spare when one goes flat then go to the tire shop.

So perhaps run the car until the engine oil is thick and black. When the engine starts to tick, plan for that oil change.

I could go on, but….
Easy there. I was referring to proactively replacing your car battery after so many years. No one said anything about oil changes, tire replacement etc.

Last edited by photo1902; 11-14-2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:58 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

[QUOTE=mtdjed;2274042]Also important to do when it does fail. Things change by model and year. My 2013 VW Golf only is necessary to open and close the door locks. The key fob has a key which is always used to start the car.

However, it is also used to unlock the door once you locate the hidden key slot under a cap on the door handle. Not a big deal unless you don't know about the hidden slot.

Each car has its own technique. Learn yours now. Learn where the spare key is located in some FOBs. Learn what kind of battery is used and how to replace . Learn by changing now and then keep an accessible spare.

Oh what great advice. I learned ALL of this "the hard way" (a phrase my dad always used) one COLD early morning in a hotel garage on my way "up north" in my Volvo XC 90. The next Volvo SUV I had was completely different, different process, different "blank key" (the one hidden in the fob), so you certainly did many a favor by telling them they have to learn all this for EACH auto they buy !
Old 11-13-2023, 10:08 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Easy there, princess. I was referring to proactively replacing your car battery after so many years. No one said anything about oil changes, tire replacement etc.
Wow, glad you commented. I was reading this strand and I almost thought some adult was trying to lecture a small child. Went from the "task" of opening a key fob (often using a coin from your pocket", to talking about driving on BALD tires, and then a lecture on not replacing only the bad tire but all four ($800 to $1200 minimum, obviously oblivious that there are young families and seniors who can not replace all tires when some have tread time left ! I didn't know what all that lecture type talking down to meant, but "WOW" was my first reaction. Someone needs to calm down for sure, and respect that others probably do not do exactly as they do. Seemed more like a "dressing down" or a "lecture or rant" of the "I know best" type. Strange post if it was actually written by a mature adult. Notice it did not start out with something like, "that's one way to look at it, I personally like to practice preventative maintenance by changing my oil often even if not needed, getting rid of tires even if still have some miles left, but I realize many people do like, or need, to get every hour of use out of anything they have to purchase".....nope, nothing in that post seemed to have any understanding that all adults have their own opinions and way of doing things. It's a mystery how some people "think" in such narrow perimeters ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 11-13-2023 at 10:15 PM. Reason: omitted word
Old 11-14-2023, 06:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Easy there, princess. I was referring to proactively replacing your car battery after so many years. No one said anything about oil changes, tire replacement etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Wow, glad you commented. I was reading this strand and I almost thought some adult was trying to lecture a small child. Went from the "task" of opening a key fob (often using a coin from your pocket", to talking about driving on BALD tires, and then a lecture on not replacing only the bad tire but all four ($800 to $1200 minimum, obviously oblivious that there are young families and seniors who can not replace all tires when some have tread time left ! I didn't know what all that lecture type talking down to meant, but "WOW" was my first reaction. Someone needs to calm down for sure, and respect that others probably do not do exactly as they do. Seemed more like a "dressing down" or a "lecture or rant" of the "I know best" type. Strange post if it was actually written by a mature adult. Notice it did not start out with something like, "that's one way to look at it, I personally like to practice preventative maintenance by changing my oil often even if not needed, getting rid of tires even if still have some miles left, but I realize many people do like, or need, to get every hour of use out of anything they have to purchase".....nope, nothing in that post seemed to have any understanding that all adults have their own opinions and way of doing things. It's a mystery how some people "think" in such narrow perimeters ?
Ain’t that the truth!
Old 11-14-2023, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
I don’t lead a “transportation operations unit”. Just my wife’s vehicle and mine. Quite frankly there’s not a soul I’ve ever known in all my years that has ever proactively replaced a battery. Maybe I’m the anomaly!

But back to RG123’s post, he has some good advice

I highly doubt few actually replace their batteries, the call someone?

Tags
vehicle, battery, fob, key, started

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.