Village rip off no 1

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2023, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

I have rebuilt several in our neighborhood several years ago after a hard freeze cracked them. Simple job and parts readily available. One valve housing was cracked and the whole unit was replaced. The rest of them just had damaged internals. Now, I drain the valves when a freeze is forecast.

Last edited by rhood; 08-13-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Are there any concerns about that freezing in the winter when there is a few days in a row below freezing?
If yes, then what do you do?

Got down to 24 degree two nights in row last year and had no freezing problems. The day time temps warm up to at least high 30s on those days. Normally winter low temps may dip into high twenties couple time in January or feb. in 8 plus years I’m been here. As precaution usually disconnect outside hose and put towel over the irrigation pipes sticking up by house.

Also there are two relief valves on valve. You could close the inlet valve and open these valves to relieve any chance If ice swelling, I solve few do that down here? Further north I would that would be must thing to do to prevent housing from splitting?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 08-13-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:08 AM
Default Back flow device

In areas where portable water is used for irrigation, it is common to see what is called a backflow device. It prevents irrigation water from mixing with portable water in the house. It would not be necessary in areas where your irrigation water is separately piped to your house by the developer . ] so I think this post applies to areas north of 466.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
That may not be possible with way valve arranged in upside down U shape?

Supply to and through valve 3/4” looking at picture it does have threaded connections on right side to wind valve on and off.

Guess could put it down the outlet pipe to manifolds? But the female connection would have turn? But the failure rate in decades for most. Unless the valve gets frozen and crack IMO no need to replace the assembly, All that does is drive it bill up down here in sunshine state IMO of course.
No, you can't put it down with the manifolds. It must be higher than any sprinkler head in the yard.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Ok, why is it Villages rip off #1?

You know, you have choices; you can move back to where you came from (and you probably bad mouthed that place all the time also) or you can stay here. Don’t blame everything on The Villages; I sometimes have to repair an an irrigation issue - I do it myself; maybe you need to learn how to repair things instead of complain.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Ok, why is it Villages rip off #1?

You know, you have choices; you can move back to where you came from (and you probably bad mouthed that place all the time also) or you can stay here. Don’t blame everything on The Villages; I sometimes have to repair an an irrigation issue - I do it myself; maybe you need to learn how to repair things instead of complain.
Well that surprise you can do it yourself.

So done with your rant, take pill, comprehension might Be helping hand, but I doubt it. It’s not the villages it’s the contractor’s. IMO it was rip off, and yes I can have opinion.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
No, you can't put it down with the manifolds. It must be higher than any sprinkler head in the yard.
He was taking about threaded connection so you don’t have cut pipes not the valve.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:03 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
AH! That makes sense, that our entire area has separate irrigation water and potable water supplies. I appreciate the original post, as the quoted price was ridiculous.
Yes, $700 is mind boggling figure. Lived in many communities, this is absolutely THE most "dangerous", cut throat, environment we've ever lived in. Not limited to, but have noticed in our neighborhood females are especially targeted. Just had two neighbor have ice makers replaced for very similar GE refrigerators. Had different repair "services", our recently widowed neighbor paid... wait for it.... $230 MORE than the other neighbor for the same repair/replacement. Another was told $16 THOUSAND dollars for the same capacity/SEER AC/gas furnace for same model home, as the another paid $6,480 for. It's like an "open season" and it's very sad that while the usual thinking is, "buyer beware", a community should have some kind of ethically based trades people and businesses. The Villages seems especially over run with "anything goes" for even very simple services which are made to sound dangerous, or very complicated.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:19 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Well that surprise you can do it yourself.

So done with your rant, take pill, comprehension might Be helping hand, but I doubt it. It’s not the villages it’s the contractor’s. IMO it was rip off, and yes I can have opinion.
This is so typical of WAY too many "kind" peoples' response on here to anything ! It's always "get out", "move" for some variation of this. I wonder what makes people so tone deaf to others ? It's almost like some politicians are, just not in the same world. " Just move" is not an easy thing for so many people. For a few, of course it's a snap, but at the age of Villagers, and having to manage that fixed income to cover costs that rise daily, "just moving" is COSTLY and according to many medical studies, is one of the most stressful events a person can go through. The "dismissive" phrase, "just move", often comes from those who have very little ability to relate to others on any meaningful level... I've met many of them through out life, you probably have to, "just buy a new car, just move to a new house, just take a vacation... like I DO they think. In my thoughts, when I meet one like that, I have a name in my head I don't say out loud. I think of them as "surface people", they live on the surface of life, never consider others are not in the same position as they are. This once was a place one could rely on where neighbors looked out for each other and reported the exact type of thing like the $700 excessive charge of the original post.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Irrigation vacuum break replacement. Quoted 700 bucks plus for replacement of the assembly. Assembly price $125 bucks for most, rebuild kit $5 to 30 bucks with most brands. Takes maybe 20 mins to do simple rebuild if you have some skills. If not hope know nice neighbor or pay the piper.
Where is the vacuum breaker located????
Old 08-14-2023, 06:39 AM

Why not just get a second estimate if you are not comfortable replacing it yourself ?
Old 08-14-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
He was taking about threaded connection so you don’t have cut pipes not the valve.
If that was his intent, I stand corrected. Thanks
Old 08-14-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Where is the vacuum breaker located????
You may or may not have one depending on where you live. If you can see the pictures it shows irrigation shut off close to you house wall somewhere. If you are on pond water for irrigation you don’t have one and you irrigation shut off may in ground usually under the green cover on the rectangular box usually in front yard or side. Where ever water supply comes in.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:53 AM
Default Warning

Just a quick warning to all those who have these valves. Lizards will get inside and get trapped and die. They can jam and damage them. It happened to me. Wrap the valve in light screening to save yourself some future problems.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20230814_094638.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	99742  
Old 08-15-2023, 09:15 AM

I recently had one installed and it was $300. Testing was an additional $25. My water is a single source for both potable and irrigation.

Portion of a letter from my water company. "Florida Dept of Environmental Protection (FDEP) administrative code, subsection 62-555-630. Backflow assemblies shall be installed and certified by code. The assembly shall be installed by a licensed contractor certified in the State of Florida to install and test backflow assemblies."

I think repairs have to be done by a licensed contractor as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
bucks, rebuild, assembly, replacement, neighbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.