Water in GE side by side will not work

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Default Water in GE side by side will not work

I installed a new water filter in my GE side by side door refrigerator, and all of a sudden the water will not dispense from the door. The ice maker is still working, but will not. Anyone have any advice on how to fix the problem before I have to call a plumber?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Sage

I'm not a plumber but I wonder if maybe the new filter is not seated correctly? Happened to me the first time I changed the filter - I thought it was in and it wasn't, I had to take it out and put it back again.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I'm not a plumber but I wonder if maybe the new filter is not seated correctly? Happened to me the first time I changed the filter - I thought it was in and it wasn't, I had to take it out and put it back again.
Happened to me also..Make sure you don't force the filter when installing..Just turn and it should seat itself..
Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 AM

I bought another new filter, but still do not have water. I even lowered the freezer temp a couple of degrees thinking maybe the water line to the water dispenser was frozen, but no luck. Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

If the water line is frozen, which has happened to us afew times, I put a clamp-on desk light directly in the dispenser area of the door as close to the outlet as possible without it touching any parts of the door. It took about 2 hour for the line to defrost.

That should work.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Water frozen (1).jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	15081   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Water frozen (2).jpg
Views:	552
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	15082  

Last edited by Biker Dog; 06-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
I installed a new water filter in my GE side by side door refrigerator, and all of a sudden the water will not dispense from the door. The ice maker is still working, but will not. Anyone have any advice on how to fix the problem before I have to call a plumber?
Worse case scenario would be that the water supply line or shutoff valve is clogged, water filter is clogged, filter cartridge not installed properly....

We have the French door GE with the icemaker on the right side door.
We just had to put in a new water filter ourselves......
I always keep the door control set at 0 37 degrees.
Do you have a place to set that control on the door???
That is the optimum temp. for freezer/frig. zero / 37

You can also try holding down the "reset filter" pad on door for three seconds..or more. You are supposed to do that after you install the new filter (every six months).......and also remove the one and a half gallons of water from the dispenser on the door.......but since you have no water???

Or, pull out the filter and put it back in again. That often works.

Last week we had no ice at all.........but did have water.
We also had ICE / FROST building up in the freezer......

I'll look in my GE owners manual.........

You could have air trapped in the system????

Did you remove the one and a half gallons of water to "clear the system"?
I would try to pulling out the filter.......and according to the directions, re install the filter........RE SET door setting to 0 /37. Press reset filter 3 seconds. GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
The same thing happened to our refrigerator about two years ago. I went on-line looking for known problems and found that it is common enough that a line heater kit has been developed to rectify the problem. I called Two Brothers Appliance Repair and they came over the same day and installed a kit. After they finished it took a few hours to unthaw the line and it has worked well since. I'm pretty sure Two Brothers will give you a cost over the phone.

Xavier
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage

P.S. TO MY EARLIER POST.......and don't feel bad; my husband has the same exact problems each and every time he has to install a new filter into our GE......
He hates GE now......not made like they used to be, even you pay a small fortune.

O.K.

In general, the filter cartridge should be replaced every six months. Mark on your calendar. If you wait, you will hear the "chirping" sounds........

The filter may need to be replaced earlier if the flow of water to the dispenser or ice maker decreases.

To remove the old cartridge, open the cartridge cover by pushing in where indicated.

Remove the cartridge by slowly rotating it to the LEFT.
A small amount of water may drip down.

If air has been trapped in the system, the filter cartridge may be ejected as it is removed. Use caution when removing it.

Remove the protective foil from the end of the cartridge.

Position the cartridge inside the cartridge holder and slowly rotate the the cartridge to the RIGHT until it stops.

When the cartridge is properly installed, you will feel it "click" as it locks into place.

The blade on the end of the cartridge should be positioned VERTICALLY.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

Close the cartridge cover.

On models with a replacement indicator light, press and hold the RESET WATER FILTER PAD FOR THREE SECONDS.

RUN WATER FROM THE WATER DISPENSER ON THE DOOR FR 3 MINUTES, ABOUT ONE AND A HALF GALLONS......use a big container and keep throwing out into sink.

Again, good luck.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM

I too hate GE products after having to have many repairs made to my side by side and finally getting the company to acknowledge that it was a lemon and sent us a new side by side.

Even in the new side by side we had the problem with the water not dispensing. I ended up having to turn down the temp on the freezer and after SEVERAL days, the line finally thawed out and the water worked again.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
We just installed a new filter this week and upon reading the directions it said that there may be a small adapter at the top of the filter and said if there is take it off before installing. Ours didn't have one, but just in case yours does. Good luck to you.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Do you have a filter bypass plug?
If yes remove the filter and insert the bypass plug. Then see if you get water. If yes then then that would indicated the problem is filter related.
If no it means there is something else creating the problem.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.