Water heater and water softener problems

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Default Water heater and water softener problems

My house is 8 years old. I bought it 2 years ago. I have a whole house water softener that uses salt pellets, and I have a gas water heater.
I noticed the T&P valve dripping on my water heater, so I replaced it. The original T&P valve seemed to be corroded when I removed it.
I decided to drain the water heater first, but when I opened the drain, nothing came out. I used a thin wire to unclog the drain, then a lot of salt pellet pieces came out. There was at east a gallon of salt pellet pieces in the water heater. I flushed as much out as I could, and refilled the water heater.
Now the water heater does not get the water hot enough. It comes on and seems to be working OK, but the water heat is not very hot. I have it set to a higher temperature than I had it set before, but still too cool. Very warm but not hot. I am wondering if my water heater is bad.
Also, the water softener does not seem to be using any salt. I performed a manual reset, but I am not sure if it did anything. I am wondering if the drain line that goes out to my side yard and then underground, is blocked.
I can probably figure out the water softener, but I am not sure about the water heater.
Does anyone have an idea of what is happening with my water heater?
Thanks

Last edited by royr; 01-15-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

I just found a video on YouTube that explains how a bad dip tube could cause loss of hot water. It showed how to replace it.
My plan is to check and replace the dip tube if necessary.
I will post the result.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by royr View Post
My house is 6 years old. I bought it 2 years ago. I have a whole house water softener that uses salt pellets, and I have a gas water heater.
I noticed the T&P valve dripping on my water heater, so I replaced it. The original T&P valve seemed to be corroded when I removed it.
I decided to drain the water heater first, but when I opened the drain, nothing came out. I used a thin wire to unclog the drain, then a lot of salt pellet pieces came out. There was at east a gallon of salt pellet pieces in the water heater. I flushed as much out as I could, and refilled the water heater.
Now the water heater does not get the water hot enough. It comes on and seems to be working OK, but the water heat is not very hot. I have it set to a higher temperature than I had it set before, but still too cool. Very warm but not hot. I am wondering if my water heater is bad.
Also, the water softener does not seem to be using any salt. I performed a manual reset, but I am not sure if it did anything. I am wondering if the drain line that goes out to my side yard and then underground, is blocked.
I can probably figure out the water softener, but I am not sure about the water heater.
Does anyone have an idea of what is happening with my water heater?
Thanks
There should not be salt pellets in your hot water heater. The softner uses salt brine to regenerate the resin pellets. Drawing salt pellets into the take is not correct. You would always have a salty taste to your water with the pellets in the hot water tank. I suggest you call the softner repair man.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There should not be salt pellets in your hot water heater. The softner uses salt brine to regenerate the resin pellets. Drawing salt pellets into the take is not correct. You would always have a salty taste to your water with the pellets in the hot water tank. I suggest you call the softner repair man.
I agree. I do not understand how the salt crystals can get from the softener to the water heater. I would a call a plumber to see if he can check it out. I always use Kiley an Sons for my plumbing problems.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Sage

It is likely not salt in the water heater. In my previous home, I was told to periodically drain the hot water tank to remove the accumulation of those whitish deposits. They blamed it on the softener. I drained the tank every six months and got a lot of those deposits out. But, for me, the heater worked better afterwards because the flame didn't have to heat through the debris in the bottom of the tank.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 PM

What do you think those deposits are, if not salt from the softener?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
What do you think those deposits are, if not salt from the softener?
I would say lime buildup from the water.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Water softeners do no NOT clean the water, you likely have built up sediment in there that gets heated and creates those deposits.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I just found a video on YouTube that explains how a bad dip tube could cause loss of hot water. It showed how to replace it.
My plan is to check and replace the dip tube if necessary.
I will post the result.
You're spot on!
That should do it...good news because it's a cheap fix.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.