Water Pressure

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2022, 08:01 AM
Default Water Pressure

Hey folks! Hoping someone could give advice regarding the water pressure in our showers. Is there a way to increase the pressure? I already changed out the shower head but the difference was only minimal. Sure would appreciate any tips. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Is it just the shower and not the sink faucet? What is the water pressure in your house? If you don't know, buy a 10 dollar pressure gauge from Amazon and attach it to an outside hose bibb. Mine is 60 psi and I have a 2.5 GPM shower head and the pressure is fine.

The maximum legal flow rate for shower heads is 2.5 GPM. Don't buy one with a lower flow rate. Some people will modify the shower head to allow more flow, but you shouldn't need to. If these things seem okay, you may have a problem with your shower mixing valve. That would probably require a plumber.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvlpatty View Post
Hey folks! Hoping someone could give advice regarding the water pressure in our showers. Is there a way to increase the pressure? I already changed out the shower head but the difference was only minimal. Sure would appreciate any tips. Thanks.
What I've discovered in my year in The Villages, at least in my home, when it was built, the plumbers used "reduced pressure" feeds everywhere. Those devices get clogged up. At least once every month or two, I have to take the feeds off my vanity sinks & toilet, to clean out the screens. I assume the Showerheads are the same, but mine isn't too bad.

Keep in mind, any showerhead installed prior to 1992, is limited to 2.5 gallons/minute.

I'm sure there are plumbers on here, who know way more about it, than I.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Most shower heads have restrictors in them. You used to be able to remove them with a screwdriver but the ones in our new home needed to be drilled out.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-09-2022, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
To answer your question, it is not practical to increase the water pressure, you may be able to increase the flow rate as previously mentioned. Depending on the age of your house you may have a buildup of calcium in the plumbing. I have seen houses with no water softener or other filters have significant buildup. Since you have already changed the spray head, I agree the mixing valve would be the next place to look. NOTE: if your house is like ours, you will need to turn off the water to the entire house before you work on this valve.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

I'd check your pressure before doing anything radical. We live in a relatively new house and my shower pressure in both showers has always been marginal. I think it's just the way it is here. My place up north has a well pump that lets me set/change the water pressure and I have it set higher so my shower is magnificent.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I'd check your pressure before doing anything radical. We live in a relatively new house and my shower pressure in both showers has always been marginal. I think it's just the way it is here. My place up north has a well pump that lets me set/change the water pressure and I have it set higher so my shower is magnificent.
We also live in a new area. Our water pressure is a near constant 75psi. Even with that our showers were pretty anemic until I removed the restrictors.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-09-2022, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

You need to purchase the "Commando 450" shower head...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 12-09-2022, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You need to purchase the "Commando 450" shower head...

The Villages Florida
For a slight upcharge you can get the commando 621 that will really blow you away.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:49 AM

50psi is the best water pressure to run through out the house. Anything above that wears out flush valves, ice maker valves and some dishwasher valves. I started out with 70psi coming into the house so I installed a PRV and cut it back to 50psi. Get a different shower head!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 12-10-2022, 07:04 AM

I removed the flow restrictors on mine. Works great now. There are many YouTube videos that show you how to do it if you’re unfamiliar with it.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:43 AM
Default Shower valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
To answer your question, it is not practical to increase the water pressure, you may be able to increase the flow rate as previously mentioned. Depending on the age of your house you may have a buildup of calcium in the plumbing. I have seen houses with no water softener or other filters have significant buildup. Since you have already changed the spray head, I agree the mixing valve would be the next place to look. NOTE: if your house is like ours, you will need to turn off the water to the entire house before you work on this valve.
The shower valves have been made more restrictive. 🤨
Old 12-10-2022, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
The shower valves have been made more restrictive. 🤨
Can you explain what you mean? As far as I know, shower mixing valves have not been made differently to restrict water flow.
There is a Federal law that has required all shower heads made since 1992 to restrict the water flow rate to a maximum of 2.5 gallons per minute.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:11 AM
Default Flow rate

Quote:
In the hose that connects the shower head, there will be a washer with a small hole. This is a flow regulator to keep the flow rate to 2.5 gpm. If that regulator washer is removed, the flow rate will be whatever the hose, shower head, water pressure allows. It's illegal to sell shower heads that deliver more than 2.5 gpm; however, as far as I know there is no law that prevents you from removing the flow regulator.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Take the Water saver out of the shower head.
Closed Thread

Tags
pressure, water, minimal, tips, difference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.