Whole house water filters

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
It really isn't needed to filter the whole house, as was stated in an eariler post. As the water from the water company is fine for general use. However if concerned about drinking just get one at your sink. We went to Home Depot and got the undersink 2 stage filter with the upgraded fliters which cost us $49 every six months. Works great and if you read what they filter it is just as good as most bottled water you buy. The only other thing better is reverse osmosis which both costs more to run and wastes more water then it produces.
Army Guy
Thanks for the info, Army Guy. We have a Brita in the fridge, a Pur on the kitchen sink, and filters on the shower heads. I thought a whole-house filter might make life easier.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Thank for the info, Bill & Carolyn!
Just to update you on this. I've been walking the ragged edge of insanity researching water softeners, water softener technologies, water filters, etc. I've looked at/talked to EcoWater ($2900), kinectico (~ $2000), Nuvoh20, Kenmore ($800), and a host of others. After much research (and tearing out what little hair I have left on top) here is what I have decided to do.

Background

Our house water (in Pennecamp) tested out at 14 grains hardness, 5ppm Chlorine. My better half has a sodium restricted diet requirement. the 5PPM chlorine will destroy my wife's hair coloring pretty quickly (apparently the pools can only have 1.5 PPM) so we will need to have a whole house carbon filter.

We're going to purchase and have installed the Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener (that includes a carbon filter) and we will be using Potassium Chloride salt instead of sodium chloride. KCl is more expensive than NaCL but it is better for the environment and we don't have the worry about Sodium levels in the water. Given the cost differential between the Kenmore unit and Ecowater/Kinectico I figure I can replace the Kenmore unit entirely three times. Given the water quality/usage I'm expecting the Kenmore unit to last 7-10 years before I need to replace the medium and carbon.

We'll wait after the Kenmore is installed to see if we need to also install a Reverse Osmosis filter in the kitchen. If we do, I'd favor the Kinectico K5 - Consumer research tests rated it the highest by a good margin (and the most expensive too!).

Last edited by Bill & Carolyn; 01-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Carolyn View Post
I looked at the Sears site and they have a unit called a Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener that claims to do both for $800.
I see you have to add salt. How often do you need to do this and what do you estimate your annual cost is for the salt.
thanks!!!
Bob
Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Bill & Carolyn, does the cost of the Sears unit include installation?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM

I had my filter system installed over a year ago, I bought & had it installed by a village resident.
NOVA Water Filtration I am very happy with the system and service.
Whole house triple cartridge filter
$369 for Unit Only
$495 for Unit and Installation

Money Back Guarantee!!

631-338-1048

Bob
Village Resident

Last edited by tag460; 03-07-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Sage
Arrow

Water softeners do not purifity the water all you get soft dirty water.

Further hard water has many misconceptions, see this link

THose of that think the water is fine look at one of the cartridges from the Nova filter after a year.

The Villages Florida

Do you want to drink, cook or bath in that dirt?

Get a serious Nova filter, live healthier.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM

There are many dealers online as well as local that sell water treatment equipment. Most local dealers have higher overhead than the online dealers so the cost will be more. The disavantage of the online dealers is that when the system breaks down, you must hire a service tech or mail the valve to the online dealer for repair. Either way, it will cost you more money. There are some dealer that not only have better prices, but are a full service company so repairs are completed with no additional cost if the system is under warranty.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

We have the Pegasus full home filtration system. It cleans, softens, filters, removes chlorine, chemicals and bacteria and makes the water taste good. I like the feel of the soft water, my dishes and utensils are nice and shiney from the d/w. I no longer use fabric softener, and use considerably less lotions to keep my skin soft. I have replaced the potassium 2X in one year...to the tune of $20 each bag. I have removed the expensive filter from the fridge...don't need it. While it was a little more expensive than prices being quoted here from Sears, etc. they installed the unit (no plumber) and I feel comfortable that should I ever have a problem they will be here for me to rectify it. I know I get on here a lot about this filter, and to each their own, but I was the big naysayer on this purchase...it was my husband that wanted it...and I couldn't be happier. The washer repairman even commented that it was good for the appliances and pipes. Showers, laundry and no spots, residue, etc. on my faucets...I'm a believer. If you are interested, if only to get some info, call Robert at 352-748-7873. Several neighbors have gotten it on our recommendation also, and are very happy with the system.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.