Dentists that take United Healthcare?

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2022, 03:36 PM
Talking Dentists that take United Healthcare?

We are new to the Villages and are loving it! When we moved, I signed up with United Healthcare and need to find a dentist who has some good references. Every time I think I have found one, I look at reveiws and change my mind. Please help!
Old 03-11-2022, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Does the dental insurance really save you money? I have never had dental insurance, but I thought they just increase their price so they can charge you the maximum amount of the insurance. But, if you pay out of pocket, you will pay a lot less.

I use Dr. Lunsford in Leesburg. I don't think he takes dental insurance, but he charges way less than most of The Villages dentists.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

We went through the same thing last year. We finally gave up and switched to Humana in January, because of the dentist problem. The Villages Healthcare had actually sent us a card last year announcing that they were taking Humana for 2022. But then, in January, we discovered that they were only accepting one specific HMO plan, so obscure it didn't even appear as an option on Humana's web site. Not only did they refuse to see us with OUR Humana, they even locked us out of our health records so we couldn't even transfer our own records to a new doctor!

Oh, well... we never got to see our Villages doctor anyway -- they always shuttled us off to some nurse practitioner. So at first I wasn't too upset about moving. But the alternative is even worse. Now I can see my new doctor anytime I want, but I can't understand a word he says!

And Humana for dentists isn't any better than United. They give you $1000 to spend, and when you look at their network, they make it look like there are hundreds of dentists to choose from. It's a lie. They're all dentists that at some point worked for Aspen, and Aspen is just a corporate outfit that new dentists use as their first job. A grand total of six actually still practice in the Villages. But I guess if you like Aspen, Humana and Aspen's six dentists might be your solution.

We waited months for an appointment in late March with Liza Hall at Smile Design, who was supposedly the only Smile Design dentist in-network for Humana. This week they called and gave me a cock-and-bull story about how they messed up their scheduling and now they can't fit us in until LATE JULY. It was obviously just their chickens--- way to run off the last Humana patient. I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Between Covid and moving, we are now going on two years since either of us have had our teeth cleaned. I guess we're going to have to get on a plane and go back to Houston to find a dentist. I wouldn't mind paying out of pocket if I could find one who would give you the price up-front. Good luck with that!

The healthcare options in The Villages are abysmal. I think you need to get outside the bubble -- way outside. Like maybe Jacksonville. Whatever you do, don't take an HMO plan. If you get really sick you're going to need to go out of network. You need a PPO.

Sorry for the long post. You hit a nerve.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Dental plans.com. Get highly discounted rates and better choice of dentists. Less than 10 bucks a month. Pays for itself quickly
Old 03-11-2022, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
We went through the same thing last year. We finally gave up and switched to Humana in January, because of the dentist problem. The Villages Healthcare had actually sent us a card last year announcing that they were taking Humana for 2022. But then, in January, we discovered that they were only accepting one specific HMO plan, so obscure it didn't even appear as an option on Humana's web site. Not only did they refuse to see us with OUR Humana, they even locked us out of our health records so we couldn't even transfer our own records to a new doctor!

Oh, well... we never got to see our Villages doctor anyway -- they always shuttled us off to some nurse practitioner. So at first I wasn't too upset about moving. But the alternative is even worse. Now I can see my new doctor anytime I want, but I can't understand a word he says!

And Humana for dentists isn't any better than United. They give you $1000 to spend, and when you look at their network, they make it look like there are hundreds of dentists to choose from. It's a lie. They're all dentists that at some point worked for Aspen, and Aspen is just a corporate outfit that new dentists use as their first job. A grand total of six actually still practice in the Villages. But I guess if you like Aspen, Humana and Aspen's six dentists might be your solution.

We waited months for an appointment in late March with Liza Hall at Smile Design, who was supposedly the only Smile Design dentist in-network for Humana. This week they called and gave me a cock-and-bull story about how they messed up their scheduling and now they can't fit us in until LATE JULY. It was obviously just their chickens--- way to run off the last Humana patient. I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Between Covid and moving, we are now going on two years since either of us have had our teeth cleaned. I guess we're going to have to get on a plane and go back to Houston to find a dentist. I wouldn't mind paying out of pocket if I could find one who would give you the price up-front. Good luck with that!

The healthcare options in The Villages are abysmal. I think you need to get outside the bubble -- way outside. Like maybe Jacksonville. Whatever you do, don't take an HMO plan. If you get really sick you're going to need to go out of network. You need a PPO.

We have a Humana gold plan and see a group of doctors in lakeview medical and generally happy. However for dentist the plan is useless.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Does the dental insurance really save you money? I have never had dental insurance, but I thought they just increase their price so they can charge you the maximum amount of the insurance. But, if you pay out of pocket, you will pay a lot less.

I use Dr. Lunsford in Leesburg. I don't think he takes dental insurance, but he charges way less than most of The Villages dentists.

IMO (yes I’ve had dental insurance for 20 plus years) ( I can guarantee I paid for every procedure and put money in CEOs bonus). Basically it’s reverse insurance. You pay for two years with little coverage (yep, they pay for cleaning and that it) then after two years they might pay 20 cents on dollar for high dollar procedures if you’re lucky.

So at end of day you pay and the collect you’re monthly payment.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Dental plans.com. Get highly discounted rates and better choice of dentists. Less than 10 bucks a month. Pays for itself quickly
Laughing out loud, no insurance company operates like that IMO.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:11 AM

Lake Advanced Denistry in Lady Lake. My Advantage plan only pays for cleanings. They have the best hygienist I’ve been to in FL. I trust the dentist.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:18 AM
Default Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbowlus View Post
We are new to the Villages and are loving it! When we moved, I signed up with United Healthcare and need to find a dentist who has some good references. Every time I think I have found one, I look at reveiws and change my mind. Please help!
We use Dentist on the Square at Lake Sumter Landing. We pay upfront but they submit the bills to our MetLife plan so we get reimbursed.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
You may want to do a google and make a call to find out!
Old 03-12-2022, 07:24 AM

We use Dr. Davis at A Touch of Art Dental Studio. She takes UnitedHealthcare and doesn't do the Aspen Dental crap.

(352) 405 6500 | 4110 E SR 44, STE 503, Wildwood, FL 34785 | atouchofartdentalstudio.com/
Old 03-12-2022, 08:35 AM
Default We found the answer "Off Campus"

Quote:
We have United for dental coverage, and after going through the typical upsell-pallooza of the dentists in and around the Bubble, we ventured out to Leesburg and found Dr Herb Bennett. What we found in Dr Bennett was a traditional dentist that does what is needed at the time, offers common sense advice on procedures that you may or may not need, and does NOT do the upsell thing. It was so refreshing to get back to traditional dental care, we are very pleased customers (I hate the term patient).
Old 03-12-2022, 08:58 AM
Default Answer the question!

Quote:
I don’t think it helps the poster a whole lot to hear people's preferences in insurance providers. They are looking for a good dentist who takes UHC.

We like Dr. Patel at First Choice Dentistry
10969 SE 175th Place, Suite 100
Summerfield,FL 34491
352-693-2788

They are just north of the Walmart on 441 and they take UHC.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:18 AM
Smile

Quote:
Smile Dentistry, 441, just outside on the left across from Walmart. excellent
Old 03-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Default Dentists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post

lPlease consider using Marion Dental group, they don't accept UHC, BUT, they'll tell you the cost ahead of time, they are caring,professional and honest. No upselling, no pressure. We spend money on our cars and homes to keep them in tip top shape. Do the same for your teeth. It's a lot more expensive to let them get bad and deal with crowns, extractions, bridges.
Closed Thread

Tags
united, healthcare, dentists, references, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.