Executive Golf Course Conditions

Old 03-21-2024, 10:44 AM
Sage

It looks like it is a 2-year certification program and not a degree. They have a list of graduates on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
According to his interview last week, with one of the Developer's spokesmen, Mitch has upgraded his "Certificate". Now he claims he has a "Degree in Turf Management" from Penn State (as you said, the premier Turf Management school in the country, if not the world).

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WWDaoUK_s)

Funny how his LinkedIn doesn't say he has a "Degree in Turf Management" from Penn State. Maybe he forgot to include that? Or perhaps "misspoke" in the interview?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitchell...nger-74a7426a/

Hey Mitch! Give me a call. I'll meet you at Sumter Landing & buy you lunch. You show me a letter from Penn State that you have a Degree in Turf Management, I'll give you $500 for your time.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
It looks like it is a 2-year certification program and not a degree. They have a list of graduates on their website.
I can't find his name, did you?

His resume on LinkedIn says he has a "Certificate".

In his interview, he says he has a "Degree in Turf Management from Penn State".

An "online Certificate" is a world apart from a Penn State Degree in Turf Management.

If he worked for Joe Smith's Hacker's Paradise in Oxford, FL ... it's no one's business if he's fudging his resume. In this case, he's a public employee or certainly getting paid with public dollars. Call me crazy, but I like to know what I'm getting for my dollars and based on the conditions of the Executive Golf courses, none of us seem to be getting very much these days.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-21-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:01 PM
Sage

I could not find his name either. Without seeing his CV, it is hard to say what credentials he has. I would generally assume that those sorts of positions require a BS degree in some area of plant science. Regarding the certification program, it wasn't clear to me that it could be done on-line.

Quote:
I can't find his name, did you?

His resume on LinkedIn says he has a "Certificate".

In his interview, he says he has a "Degree in Turf Management from Penn State".

An "online Certificate" is a world apart from a Penn State Degree in Turf Management.

Last edited by biker1; 03-21-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I could not find his name either. Without seeing his CV, it is hard to say what credentials he has. I would generally assume that those sorts of positions require a BS degree in some area of plant science.
One would think. If it was a job at a typical local golf course, I could see them going for "practical experience". Being responsible for 400+ holes of golf, is a pretty big job.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:19 PM
Sage

You could ask for his CV but I doubt it would be forthcoming.

Quote:
One would think. If it was a job at a typical local golf course, I could see them going for "practical experience". Being responsible for 400+ holes of golf, is a pretty big job.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Have you played any of the courses in The Villages over the last 3 months?

The Greens are atrocious, on most every Championship Golf Course. EP doesn't have a bit of grass on their greens, nor does Havana. All (3) 9's at Palmer have been devoid of grass, until this past week when Laurel started to improve. Riley Grove is horrendous. Cane Garden's greens are atrocious. Mallory's greens are putting ok, but they don't have much grass either.
Greens are beautiful on Southern Oaks. Also on Bonifay-at least on 2 of the 3 9's I've played. As well Tierra Del Sol, and Hacienda have solid greens. I've also heard (althought not played recently) that Lopez and Glenview are still in good shape.(and Mallory as you pointed out) I think that's at least half of them that are still in decent shape-Doesn't excuse the one's that aren't-but 'most every' championship is a stretch statement.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:14 AM

Not a problem, but a statement of fact.

Per capita there are fewer courses south of 44, putting more pressure on courses further north.

They claim a survey of new owners told the developers they preferred nature trails and areas to golf courses, so the new areas reflect that. Once people are here for a while many take up the game, and it takes a while to get plans changed to meet demand.

It’s a common complaint, not against the residents, but about the developers.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesNT View Post

Per capita there are fewer courses south of 44, putting more pressure on courses further north.

They claim a survey of new owners told the developers they preferred nature trails and areas to golf courses, so the new areas reflect that. Once people are here for a while many take up the game, and it takes a while to get plans changed to meet demand.

I'm confused...

For some time, we've heard (mostly from the southern residents) that golf is a dying game and that they prefer the nature trails and the bike paths...

The developer seems to have responded to those preferences. But it's still their fault?

-Tom Petty
Old 04-13-2024, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:

Yes, I think first, many who come here don’t yet know how to play golf so they say they prefer nature trails since they can’t go on the golf courses. Then, they walked the same nature trail and natural areas so often that they get bored but the neighbors keep getting together for golf. They learn to play golf. They can finally enjoy the golf courses and they never get tired of golf because it is game that you can always learn more. And they bought this golf cart which finally makes a lot of sense to have. So their taste changes as they live here.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, I think first, many who come here don’t yet know how to play golf so they say they prefer nature trails since they can’t go on the golf courses. Then, they walked the same nature trail and natural areas so often that they get bored but the neighbors keep getting together for golf. They learn to play golf. They can finally enjoy the golf courses and they never get tired of golf because it is game that you can always learn more. And they bought this golf cart which finally makes a lot of sense to have. So their taste changes as they live here.
Hasn’t this been thoroughly discussed on a more CURRENT thread?
Old 04-13-2024, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Yes, it is a recurrent issue.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I play as a single fitting in as a 4th wheel. There are so many golfers that venture north to play. They/we need more choices to the south.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:53 AM
Default Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Interesting question. Caused me some ponderage over why it might have arisen. Guessing that the way that *I* access this forum ain't the "standard" means. I basically only think to look at TOTV because of the daily (usually) reminder in my email "in box", and I guess I don't actually look at all of the forum (fora?), but rather only "Yesterdays Hot Topics" as listed in that daily email update.

OTOH, the reason I saw the recent comments from *this* thread was due to a separate email to me pointing out that there had been a new comment - apparently due to the fact that I am somehow "subscribed" to said thread. Don't really have all that good an understanding of how that works, either.

So, what I now have to wonder is whether my daily access technique (via email reminder) is substandard and drops me to a lower forum status level. And, are less timely posts considered something like "littering"? I try to be a good citizen. What are the (unwritten?) rules over which such a question has been raised?

Or, was it the perceived "thoroughness" of the discussion that is the issue? And how does one keep up with "CURRENT"ness? What are the proper and accepted expiration dates? Guess I'm trying to figure out why bringing up the points under discussion "here and now" don't seem to bother me. Is it a mere lack of sophistication on my part? TIA

Tags
courses, t.v, golf, closed, executive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.