Executive Golf Course Conditions

Old 03-01-2024, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Coming to The Villages, was a huge step up in his career. He hadn't been a superintendent for very long and never for something approaching the complexity of The Villages.
Mitch Leininger spent the first eleven plus years after college in logistics for the airline industry, not using his turf management degree. He has recent superintendent experience at a resort course with most likely a big budget and lots of experienced folks to rely on. IMO, it was a stretch to hire him to oversee our execs. And now, he is being supervised by someone with thirty years Coast Guard experience. Something seems amiss in the decision making process. Again, just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
DALE....so not true!! Hawkes Bay greens were great. Saddlebrook was not as good, but better than the courses further south
I played Hawks Bay on the 29th. The greens were in poor shape, as bad as Evans Prairie
Old 03-01-2024, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Just got back from a round at Hilltop. Greens in excellent shape; fairways a bit spotty here and there but overall not too bad.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Mitch Leininger spent the first eleven plus years after college in logistics for the airline industry, not using his turf management degree. He has recent superintendent experience at a resort course with most likely a big budget and lots of experienced folks to rely on. IMO, it was a stretch to hire him to oversee our execs. And now, he is being supervised by someone with thirty years Coast Guard experience. Something seems amiss in the decision making process. Again, just my opinion.
I obviously haven't seen a resume, only his LinkedIn.

I don't think he has a college degree and if he does, I doubt it's in Turf Management. His LinkedIn says he has a "Certificate" in Turf Manaagement from Penn State.

The Certificate Program at Penn State is offered to Golf Superintendents around the country. It's a "course", not a program. If I'm not mistaken, it's an online course that costs about $5000.

If that's indeed what he has, it's a long way away from a Turf Management Degree, from the #1 Agronomy program in the world.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

I don't think he has a college degree and if he does, I doubt it's in Turf Management. His LinkedIn says he has a "Certificate" in Turf Manaagement from Penn State.

The Certificate Program at Penn State is offered to Golf Superintendents around the country. It's a "course", not a program. If I'm not mistaken, it's an online course that costs about $5000.

If that's indeed what he has, it's a long way away from a Turf Management Degree, from the #1 Agronomy program in the world.
I rarely play execs, but had a few hours today and played gray fox for the first time. Not a bad layout as these course go and I liked the fact that there were adjacent homes on only 2 holes. The greens actually ran fairly true and fast, but......as the old saying goes, you can paint dirt green, but in the end, it's still dirt.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:

Penn State Dow hav e 2 year program, that results in a certificate form the turf grass program.
Golf Course Turfgrass Management Program — Undergraduate — Department of Plant Science
Old 03-01-2024, 03:05 PM
Default Walnut Grove

Just played Walnut Grove. Greens great, real grass, however kind of slow. Not dirt!!!
Old 03-01-2024, 05:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I rarely play execs, but had a few hours today and played gray fox for the first time. Not a bad layout as these course go and I liked the fact that there were adjacent homes on only 2 holes. The greens actually ran fairly true and fast, but......as the old saying goes, you can paint dirt green, but in the end, it's still dirt.
I played Palmer. Laurel is still improving, but the greens aren't very fast.

Riley's been Top Dressed and running about 7.5. Generally, Top Dressing on Bermuda is done in the summer or if done in cooler months, only a very light application is made. I suspect the point of the Top Dressing this week, was to level out and smooth the greens, where they've lost grass.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Penn State Dow hav e 2 year program, that results in a certificate form the turf grass program.
Golf Course Turfgrass Management Program — Undergraduate — Department of Plant Science

I guessed it was this one: Turfgrass Management, Basic Undergraduate Certificate Online - Penn State World Campus

If he went to Penn State got a legitimate in-house Certificate/Degree from Penn State School of Agronomy, he should see if he can get his money back. I wouldn't be so harsh if he was new to the job, but after 4 years of deteriorating conditions, it's too long running to be blamed on the last guy.

So someone here knows the answer to this question. The pay rate of public employees (CDD) are public information. I understand (sort of) that the relationship of the CDD's and various outside contractors is confusing and convoluted. Who exactly does Ricky Craig and/or Mitch Leininger actually work for and what do they get paid?

I'm guessing they're vastly under-paid for the marketplace at large. Quality Superintendents make good money these days. Not like it was 10 years ago, but a good super at a private course in the Northeast is at least $125K-$175K. The nationwide average for private courses is over $115,000. I doubt TV is paying anywhere near that kind of money.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-01-2024 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I guessed it was this one: Turfgrass Management, Basic Undergraduate Certificate Online - Penn State World Campus

If he went to Penn State got a legitimate in-house Certificate/Degree from Penn State School of Agronomy, he should see if he can get his money back. I wouldn't be so harsh if he was new to the job, but after 4 years of deteriorating conditions, it's too long running to be blamed on the last guy.

So someone here knows the answer to this question. The pay rate of public employees (CDD) are public information. I understand (sort of) that the relationship of the CDD's and various outside contractors is confusing and convoluted. Who exactly does Ricky Craig and/or Mitch Leininger actually work for and what do they get paid?

I'm guessing they're vastly under-paid for the marketplace at large. Quality Superintendents make good money these days. Not like it was 10 years ago, but a good super at a private course in the Northeast is at least $125K-$175K. The nationwide average for private courses is over $115,000. I doubt TV is paying anywhere near that kind of money.
I have to disagree with your statement blaming Mitch. If you notice all the courses that are NOT being complained about all have a common theme. Those courses have been renovated since Mitch has come on board in 2019.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena0904 View Post
I have to disagree with your statement blaming Mitch. If you notice all the courses that are NOT being complained about all have a common theme. Those courses have been renovated since Mitch has come on board in 2019.
I guess I would see it as the opposite. There shouldn't be as much complaining about recently renovated courses. They should be in decent shape. To say nothing of the fact, that courses shouldn't have to go through a major renovated every 10-15 years.

If he's the guy in charge and the courses aren't in acceptable condition, who should get blamed? The Ambassadors? The Starters? The guys mowing the grass?

Edit:

The Amenities Authority Committee (AAC) budgeted $1.9M for the renovation of Chula Vista and Amberwood [https://www.**************.com/2024/...golf-courses/]

The low bidder, came in at $1.4M ... the AAC is considering it.

The low bidder was a company called Landirr Inc, out of Sanford.

Likely in anticipation of this contract, Landirr Inc is advertising for a Project Manager / Superintendent Golf Course Construction.

IMO, the Job Description is ridiculous. They want to hire a Project Manager, who's also an on-site Job Superintendent, as well as a heavy equipment operator. []Just a moment.... Curiously, the Job Posting doesn't require the applicant to have experience with Project Management/Scheduling Software.

I can't imagine doing $1.4M public bid, construction job, without a Project Manager at least 1/2 time and I would want a full-time, on-site Superintendent ... who's not spending time, operating equipment and installing irrigation. Will the AAC hire a "Clerk of the Works" to oversee the job? I suspect not, but I don't know.

In the inflationary market we're in right now, how does a labor intensive bid, come in at 25% under budget?

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-02-2024 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Is there a problem with south of 44 golfers playing north or are only north of 44 golfers allowed to play up there?
The problem isn’t the golfers going north to play, they have to go where the courses are. Who can fault that? The problem is that they continue to build a crap load of houses without adding nearly enough golf, resulting in a free fall of the ratio of available golf holes per rooftop.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Golfers complaints are now almost exceeding dog poop complaints
Forgot about the road conditions on Morse north of 466 and Costco
Old 03-01-2024, 08:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Just got back from a round at Hilltop. Greens in excellent shape; fairways a bit spotty here and there but overall not too bad.
Hilltop was completely re grassed in 2023
Old 03-01-2024, 10:48 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
We play the courses between 44 and 466 (but including Saddlebrook and Hawkes Bay).
The greens on almost all of these courses are in extremely very poor condition.
Not only that, as of this date there are now 6 courses that are closed, in that area.
It seems totally counterproductive to have 6 courses closed during what is the "Highest Use Season".
The ability to have decent executive golfing available was one of the specific reasons for locating to T.V.
It now seems to be an after-thought for T.V. management.
Really needs attention from a professional golf course maintenance co.
Also, many golfers are coming from the areas South of 44.
Why don't you golfers file a class action lawsuit against TV? You are paying for an amenity that TV promotes to prospective buyers but in reality is failing to provide for current residents. Complaining and writing letters will only get you hollow promises.

Tags
courses, t.v, golf, closed, executive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.