Executive Golf Course Conditions

Old 03-02-2024, 09:29 AM

I don't know if new course Super is compitant or not, but the budget doesn't seem to be there for the extreme number of executive golf courses that are unplayable. The greens in the trio Bonita, Red Fish Run and Tarpon Boil all discusting condition. Can't put a ball along any line chosen without it moving left & right and imposible to figure out the speed with spots of grass and most areas rolled dirt.Really terrible. Many fo the Championship nines are in poor condition as well. Some that just had their greens replaced in the last few years. $70 -$75 is rediculous and you use your own golf cart.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:11 AM
Default Consult the USGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
We play the courses between 44 and 466 (but including Saddlebrook and Hawkes Bay).
The greens on almost all of these courses are in extremely very poor condition.
Not only that, as of this date there are now 6 courses that are closed, in that area.
It seems totally counterproductive to have 6 courses closed during what is the "Highest Use Season".
The ability to have decent executive golfing available was one of the specific reasons for locating to T.V.
It now seems to be an after-thought for T.V. management.
Really needs attention from a professional golf course maintenance co.
Also, many golfers are coming from the areas South of 44.
Let's all agree that the greens at all the courses, championship as well as executive, are not good. In some instances, they are horrible. I don't know who to blame; instead, I'm more interested in fixing the problems than fixing the blame.

Before I moved to TV, if someone had told me that there is a problem in growing grass in central Florida, I would have laughed. However, we clearly have a problem in TV.

The USGA has a group of experienced professionals that are available for golf courses to consult with and to make recommendations which range from the variety of grasses, irrigations systems, to maintenance. The Villages would do well to hire the USGA.

I bemoan the disregard many golfers in TV have for the courses, including not filling divots, fixing ball marks, and driving carts where they do not belong. As troubling as the practices of many golfers is, the fact is that these things do not completely destroy greens as is currently happening.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Default You Think Its Bad Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
I don't know if new course Super is compitant or not, but the budget doesn't seem to be there for the extreme number of executive golf courses that are unplayable. The greens in the trio Bonita, Red Fish Run and Tarpon Boil all discusting condition. Can't put a ball along any line chosen without it moving left & right and imposible to figure out the speed with spots of grass and most areas rolled dirt.Really terrible. Many fo the Championship nines are in poor condition as well. Some that just had their greens replaced in the last few years. $70 -$75 is rediculous and you use your own golf cart.
What will the conditions of the courses be like in 3 to 5 years? TV are not keeping up with home and golf course construction. There were 12 championship and 40 Executive courses before the building boom south of 44 started. How many new families have moved in since then. How many new courses have been built in that time. Don't count the pitch 'n putts & putt putt. They are not real courses and should not be counted in the total holes that TV like to brag about.

I have had to give up golf due to medical reasons. In the past 20 months, the course conditions have deteriorated, course closures have increased, and tee times are becoming harder to get according what I read on TOTV.

Maybe the powers that be should slow down the new home construction and let the GC construction catch up to the needs of golfing community, both in new courses and in the the conditions of the existing courses. Word will get out that TV's golf is having issues.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFoot78 View Post
What will the conditions of the courses be like in 3 to 5 years? TV are not keeping up with home and golf course construction. There were 12 championship and 40 Executive courses before the building boom south of 44 started. How many new families have moved in since then. How many new courses have been built in that time. Don't count the pitch 'n putts & putt putt. They are not real courses and should not be counted in the total holes that TV like to brag about.

I have had to give up golf due to medical reasons. In the past 20 months, the course conditions have deteriorated, course closures have increased, and tee times are becoming harder to get according what I read on TOTV.

Maybe the powers that be should slow down the new home construction and let the GC construction catch up to the needs of golfing community, both in new courses and in the the conditions of the existing courses. Word will get out that TV's golf is having issues.
I think it's even worse than you suggest. It seems there are always courses being "renovated", which seems to mean, torn up and the grass replaced and bunkers re-worked.

I take it from your name, you were probably a member of Winged Foot? If I'm not mistaken, Winged Foot went over 90 years, without a major renovation (other than some greens/bunker work). Day after day, week after week, winter or summer, those golf courses have been maintained. "Deferred maintenance" or lack of daily attention, is the road to ruination in the golf course business.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:19 PM
Default FB Greenm condition page

Quote:
We play the courses between 44 and 466 (but including Saddlebrook and Hawkes Bay).
Not only that, as of this date there are now 6 courses that are closed, in that area.
It seems totally counterproductive to have 6 courses closed during what is the "Highest Use Season".
The ability to have decent executive golfing available was one of the specific reasons for locating to T.V.
Has anyone started a FB page for green conditions in TV? Seems to be way overdue. Would like to enjoy the rounds I pay for but Ill go to Continental if need be.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:43 PM
Default Accurate diagnoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
Let's all agree that the greens at all the courses, championship as well as executive, are not good. In some instances, they are horrible. I don't know who to blame; instead, I'm more interested in fixing the problems than fixing the blame.

Before I moved to TV, if someone had told me that there is a problem in growing grass in central Florida, I would have laughed. However, we clearly have a problem in TV.

The USGA has a group of experienced professionals that are available for golf courses to consult with and to make recommendations which range from the variety of grasses, irrigations systems, to maintenance. The Villages would do well to hire the USGA.

I bemoan the disregard many golfers in TV have for the courses, including not filling divots, fixing ball marks, and driving carts where they do not belong. As troubling as the practices of many golfers is, the fact is that these things do not completely destroy greens as is currently happening.
I wrote to a couple of the email addresses posted here, primarily wondering if a fungus had been the culprit as had been speculated here. Got a surprisingly long response from one of them. The interesting part was this:

"As for Tarpon we are not sure why some of the greens are in worse conditions than others. We have sent soil samples out to check it there is a disease and we have not gotten the results back". I then suggested that sharing his info in a public forum might be a good idea. . .

I lived for many years in a golf community in Savannah. It was standard practice there to overseed those Bermuda greens (and sometimes the fairways) during the dormant periods. I think I just read somewhere that at least some tee boxes here get at least some degree of rye overseeding.

I have no idea whether that is done here on the championships' greens, but pretty certain it isn't on the executives. When I first saw the remaining green patches on those Tarpon Boil greens, it brought to mind overseeded rye, and my initial assumption was that this was a case of overseeding "failing to completely take". IIRC, it looked like those bright green, rye grass-looking patches hadn't been recently mown, either. Pondered some possible reasons for why that might be, but by the time I finished that nine I was mostly just confused.

Are the championship course greens here overseeded in the winter? TIA
Old 03-02-2024, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I was wondering that too. Sometimes those DA statements need to be called out.
I think the OP was referred to golfers who live south of 44 where all of the new homes are being built now coming up north to golf because the lack of courses yet to be built. I have noticed that the courses in the far north of the villages are actually being underutilized. Several weeks now I've golfed Walnut Grove and others up north. Every single time we've gotten off early. The starter told me almost every day there is a significant amount of open teetimes in the north golf courses… For some of you it may be It may be worth the drive
Old 03-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Default Video

Have been enjoying this fellow's videos of his play of our courses. This one shows the Redfish Run greens from a week or so back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4ExzVQLj0
Old 03-02-2024, 03:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
I wrote to a couple of the email addresses posted here, primarily wondering if a fungus had been the culprit as had been speculated here. Got a surprisingly long response from one of them. The interesting part was this:

"As for Tarpon we are not sure why some of the greens are in worse conditions than others. We have sent soil samples out to check it there is a disease and we have not gotten the results back". I then suggested that sharing his info in a public forum might be a good idea. . .

I lived for many years in a golf community in Savannah. It was standard practice there to overseed those Bermuda greens (and sometimes the fairways) during the dormant periods. I think I just read somewhere that at least some tee boxes here get at least some degree of rye overseeding.

I have no idea whether that is done here on the championships' greens, but pretty certain it isn't on the executives. When I first saw the remaining green patches on those Tarpon Boil greens, it brought to mind overseeded rye, and my initial assumption was that this was a case of overseeding "failing to completely take". IIRC, it looked like those bright green, rye grass-looking patches hadn't been recently mown, either. Pondered some possible reasons for why that might be, but by the time I finished that nine I was mostly just confused.

I understand The Villages used to over-seed at least the Championship Courses, but have been told it's no longer done, anywhere in TV. What you're probably seeing, is small patches of annual rye, that's come in from someone's shoes or the wind or whatever. (I have seen some Tee Boxes on the Championship courses, that there seems to more than an incidental amount of Annual Rye and maybe some Bluegrass mixed in.)

Were you at The Landings? I almost bought there. Plenty of good golf to be had.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-02-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:41 PM
Default Ryes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I understand The Villages used to over-seed at least the Championship Courses, but have been told it's no longer done, anywhere in TV. What you're probably seeing, is small patches of annual rye, that's come in from someone's shoes or the wind or whatever. (I have seen some Tee Boxes on the Championship courses, that there seems to more than an incidental amount of Annual Rye and maybe some Bluegrass mixed in.)

Were you at The Landings? I almost bought there. Plenty of good golf to be had.
Had no idea there were "annual" ryes, and hadn't considered the possibility that the greens here might have other grasses mixed in with the Bermuda. But, that could make a lot of sense, now that I think about it. I'm also learning that I'm not that good at identifying different grass species.

Got here last May and presumed that our new yard was nothing but a wonderful version of zoysia. It's since become clear that there's tons of Bermuda mixed in. Did some home grown "plugging" from another part of the yard after a successful treatment for mole crickets (excellent diagnosis and treatment by Dean's). It "appears" that this zoysia doesn't go dormant (it's still bright green) - at least not in a manner that resembles what the Bermuda does. My plugs seem to have filled in nicely, at least laterally, but it looks like it could be years before it reaches mowing height. :-)

Lived at The Landings for 36 years. Our builder let me experiment with a finer blade zoysia. One of my many failed experiments. :-) The Club did try a wider blade zoysia around the bunkers and tee boxes for a couple of the new courses, but it apparently just doesn't grow back fast enough to be suitable, at least in that area. Have researched getting rid of the Bermuda in the lawn, but it's looking like a no-go.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Answer to your last question. NO. ++s and ----s on over seeding. when they are growing in and dying off there are 2 months of BAD greens but pretty and smooth during the cold months(time of most play) This year on the Champ courses they have been in good condition except for Havana and Evans
Old 03-02-2024, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Answer to your last question. NO. ++s and ----s on over seeding. when they are growing in and dying off there are 2 months of BAD greens but pretty and smooth during the cold months(time of most play) This year on the Champ courses they have been in good condition except for Havana and Evans
Have you played any of the courses in The Villages over the last 3 months?

The Greens are atrocious, on most every Championship Golf Course. EP doesn't have a bit of grass on their greens, nor does Havana. All (3) 9's at Palmer have been devoid of grass, until this past week when Laurel started to improve. Riley Grove is horrendous. Cane Garden's greens are atrocious. Mallory's greens are putting ok, but they don't have much grass either.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Lived at The Landings for 36 years. Our builder let me experiment with a finer blade zoysia. One of my many failed experiments. :-) The Club did try a wider blade zoysia around the bunkers and tee boxes for a couple of the new courses, but it apparently just doesn't grow back fast enough to be suitable, at least in that area. Have researched getting rid of the Bermuda in the lawn, but it's looking like a no-go.
Savannah is the coolest city I've ever been too and I loved The Landings. I've been there for a couple of Korn-Ferry events. When I first came to FL 15 years ago, I was commuting from Boston every month, so I wanted to be sure to have warm golf weather. If it wasn't for the 15 degree difference in the winter, I'd still be at The Landings.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Greens

Quote:
It is my understanding that the greens in this area have a fungus that is being spread by everyone’s golf shoes. It was recommended to me that I not go home and walk on my lawn with my golf shoes. That being said there are now too many golfers for the number of available holes of golf.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:40 AM
Default Transitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Thank you. Couldn't remember how long it took for the rye to grow in but do remember being surprised by how large - and abundant - the seeds were. :-)

Trying to now picture whether to expect a transition period when Bermuda greens come out of dormancy. Is it necessary to mow the greens at all during the winter? They're painted, right?

Tags
courses, t.v, golf, closed, executive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.