Golf Courses-What do we do?

Old 03-04-2024, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
There is a meeting on Wednesday March 6 at 9:00am at the Savannah Rec Center. Some people are going there to talk to the AAC governing group about the bad condition of the Executive courses. They don't want to cause trouble; just make their opinions known. The more people that attend, the better the message will be!
Here is the information on an upcoming meeting. This gives Villagers a chance to express their concerns.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
For the executive courses, make your feelings known at a PWAC or AAC meeting and possibly also at a SLCDD or VCCDD meeting.

PWAC and AAC are advisory boards with resident members.
SLCDD and VCCDD are developer-elected boards which actually control the amenities

Any necessary actions need to be taken by the SLCDD or VCCDD but the PWAC and AAC can advise the xxCDD to take those actions.

TOOO many acronyms.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Want to improve conditions on the executive courses ? Decrease demand :
1 - Build more executive courses in the south
2 - Have them lower the high season prices on the championship courses !
Lower prices on the championship courses= less money for maintenance and switch over to newest grasses.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The Arnold Palmer Invitational begins this week, in Orlando.

It will be televised. It will be interesting to see how El Nino affected that golf course, 40 miles away. I bet El Nino spared Bay Hill.
We can also compare night and day
Old 03-04-2024, 06:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1mack View Post
A simple sign at the starters shack and on the Ambassador's cart stating:

'Reparing All Divots and Ball Marks Is Expected'.

Simple and little cost.
Agree but repairing ball marks and fixing divots is a very small part of the problems. They will cause bad spots but do not kill the grass. 90% of problems is poor maintenance, over watering(causes fungus) no regular weed killing(weeds seem to get killed after they have completely takeover)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:44 PM
Gold member

Two very good ideas:

Quote:
There is a meeting on Wednesday March 6 at 9:00am at the Savannah Rec Center. Some people are going there to talk to the AAC governing group about the bad condition of the Executive courses. They don't want to cause trouble; just make their opinions known. The more people that attend, the better the message will be!
Those who can, should show up. Perhaps someone can broach the next idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Which brings up another point I've made before. Florida law may prevent communities from regulating short term rentals, but The Villages are under no obligation whatsoever to give guest passes to STRs. Would reduce the problem in a hurry. (Yes, I realize that it is technically not a guest pass but a transfer of owner ID, but no reason that couldn't be changed to exclude rentals of less than 1 month)
Who do we lobby to enact this change? How do we go about getting this done? It is a fabulous idea, & NEEDS traction.
Perhaps, an exception would be made for the developer's 'life style visits', they would be allowed full access.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
You people doing the most complaining about the conditions are probably the ones that never fix ball marks, never sand divots, never rake traps, drive through wet areas, pull right up next to the greens, drive between the traps and the greens, pull off the cart path pulling up to the tee box - anyone want to add anything else?
Yes, dragging feet on the greens when walking. Pick your feet up.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Maybe a little trouble should be expected, seeing as how this golf course "death spiral" has actually been talked about many times for a long time and no one that could have made a real difference seems to have given a flying rats, now, what is the word I'm looking for?
What I figure "they" will do is give us a lot of lip service about how " it couldn't be helped." And, how hard they have been working on it, and the weather is to blame, etc, ect, etc. Meanwhile, amenity rates have risen, raises have probably been given, all for failing to do what was needed and failing to recognize what was needed, and just failing , PERIOD! In spite of supposed credentials and experience. We support their complete and utter failure.
"This situation" (which they created by failing to take action when they should have) "is" (of course) "going to require a lot of money" (our money) "we have no option but to raise amenity fees." (again).
Grab your ankles, friends and neighbors.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Which brings up another point I've made before. Florida law may prevent communities from regulating short term rentals, but The Villages are under no obligation whatsoever to give guest passes to STRs. Would reduce the problem in a hurry. (Yes, I realize that it is technically not a guest pass but a transfer of owner ID, but no reason that couldn't be changed to exclude rentals of less than 1 month)
Or if a visitor pass is for less than 30 days, owner must be present when pass is issued and guest must be staying in owners unit, not a rental. Limit number of passes outstanding (owner is in town and has more guests coming they can turn in a pass and get another). Florida condo I lived in had minimum rentals of two weeks and complied with law. Governments could not prevent STR but could require inspections and charge fees for inspections. Many condos in Clearwater had minimum rentals in their covenants.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:48 AM
Default Where to make yourself heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Those in control know the situation. Key to get results is to be calm and always start public comments with "In my opinion....." Avoids legal threat. Post comments on facebook pages as replays, not new topics and post photos. Search as one considering the villages would on the internet and comment on those sites, again... with your opinion.

Sounds like the goal is not to get the CDD's to spend our money and raise our fees but to get the developer to change their procedures... in the areas being developed now. That will allow those in the deep south to play on new courses instead of making the trek north... on the multi modal paths.

Don't show outrage. Show disappointment.... In my opinion, this is not the Villages I expected......It is a shame how things, like the conditions of the golf courses and the shift to pitch and putts has changed the Villages. I never expected to not be able to get a tee time during the week or get a tee time on a course where, in my opinion, greens are worst than municipal courses I use to pay 35 dollars for before I moved here.....

Give those looking the questions to ask... what are my changes of getting a tee time on a Saturday during January? If I were looking at the villages I would ask for a tour of the courses (name them) before buying.... the new course by the turnpike is not the one you will be playing most weeks.....

Behavior changes when the pocket book is impacted.

Have you looked in to Sun City Center outside of Tampa? Courses were sold to a third party and now many have closed... the new owner wants to build more homes on the old courses. Very sad. Also the reason I did not consider that development. I found out via comments left on sites.

We have purchased our homes. Our leverage is near zero. But if our opinion starts to cause buyers to ask specific questions of their Villages realtor....Boom... changes will happen.
If you’re upset when you get poor service in a car dealership, don’t complain in the service area. Go into the showroom and complain there. That gets attention and sometimes action
Old 03-05-2024, 06:10 AM

Would be interested in an organized event showing that we are fed up with conditions.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
My suggestion is to start yet another thread on the very same topic as the other half a dozen threads that will do absolutely noting to fix the problem...
Yep.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
There have been many threads this spring about the deplorable exec and champ course conditions. In my experience, the executives are worse than they’ve been in the last few years, the champs are as bad as the have been historically (albeit not good, just about the same as the last few years). For example, Havana has been bad the last few years.

WHAT DO WE (as residents) DO?
email the paper?
Email someone in the developer’s org?
Email someone in the districts org (or some other home owner org)?

We should be coordinated;; i.e. the same message to the same group of people.

Any ideas?
Ask for a reduction of amenity fees
Old 03-05-2024, 08:21 AM

I understand there is a meeting on Wednesday morning at Savanna. Executive maintenance management will be there to discuss what they are doing. Maybe attend and offer examples of bad conditions would help!!
Old 03-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,536 Times in 2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
TOOO many acronyms.
Four is too many?

In any case, districtgov.org is very useful for understanding your local government. For example, acronyms.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Tags
email, years, org, bad, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.