How do we stop the addition of Pitch and Putt courses?

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2023, 04:30 AM
Default P & P’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcurrie911 View Post
Three pitch and putt courses south of 44. These courses are the last to get booked which is a clear indicator that they are least desirable for home owners. This activity of building non-desirable pitch and putt courses south of 44 continues to put pressure on executive courses north of 44. How do we stop this bad behavior? I sent a mail to villages.com but wonder if there is a better way.

Dan
How did you arrive at the conclusion that they are the last to be booked? What was your source of info?
Old 01-22-2023, 04:30 AM

Such an odd take. It's not like The Villages invented the game for selfish reasons. Pitch N Putt is an internationally recognized game.

For those of us that moved to The Villages and have no golfing experience, we're finding the PNP's to be really enjoyable and helpful to ease us into the game.

I'll bet the same people complaining about the PNP's would be REALLY complaining if they had me in from of them on an executive course holding them up as I learn what the heck I'm doing.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:40 AM

So golfers hit every green from 90 yards in... Therefore, we don't need pitch and putts and green tees on exec courses. Okay. There are beginners out there. The courses are built for all levels.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Short game

PNPs assist many with their short game. Wedges, 9s and putters are used the for the majority of the shots on a course or in a game. I guess you could ask, “ Why are all the driving ranges north of 466 A? “ too, and people would still complain.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-22-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I don’t know why they built Richmond as a pitch & putt instead of as an executive. It is 18 holes and the total length is about 1300 yards. You could easily put a nine hole executive on the piece of land.
I've played it. I don't really like them. I don't think that 3 regular tee boxes and even a short fairway for each hole and cart paths could have been put in that area though.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:42 AM

I love the pitch/putts and play them at least 3-4 times per week. It’s at these types of courses where you really improve your short golf game, get great exercise, and meet new people. I have not observed these courses to be the last ones booked. Sometimes I call the morning of play looking for an open tee time…usually, it’s just before dusk before I get a time. So glad to see MickeyLee open…I’ve played it twice, and love it!
Old 01-22-2023, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Three pitch and putt courses south of 44. These courses are the last to get booked which is a clear indicator that they are least desirable for home owners. This activity of building non-desirable pitch and putt courses south of 44 continues to put pressure on executive courses north of 44. How do we stop this bad behavior? I sent a mail to villages.com but wonder if there is a better way.

Dan
1 put it in the suggestion box at your postal station
2 write it in the yearly residents survey
3 then go to Katie Belle's and wait while sipping a tall glass of water with lemon

Old 01-22-2023, 06:59 AM

My source of information is the tee time reservation system. Simply try booking a tee time for 2 people two days out or for the next day. You will see that the vast majority if not only open tee times between 9:00 and 4:00 are on pitch and putt courses. The same was true last winter when we only had Marsh Bend. It was always the last course with open time slots.

Of course there is value in pitch and putt courses. I played Marsh Bend last year and enjoyed it. However prefer playing longer holes with grass tee boxes. And based on the reservation system the majority of other golfers within the villages feel the same way.

The last two executive courses built by T&V have been pitch and putt. If you want to see the trend continue then fine. Personally though I have sent a note to the villages.com and asked them to stop building new pitch and putt based on the information I shared above.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Swanson View Post
How did you arrive at the conclusion that they are the last to be booked? What was your source of info?
You can easily confirm that what Swanson says is true .

Log on to the tee times system and look for open tee times . Select the option to look courses by time .

What you’ll see repeatedly is that most of the executives are not available during mid morning through late afternoon. In other words , these most desirable tee times are gone.

However , you’ll see that there will be many, many tee times an available through most of the day on the Pitch and Putt courses.

Conclusion ? Yes, they ARE last to be booked if booked at all !
Old 01-22-2023, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
My source of information is the tee time reservation system. Simply try booking a tee time for 2 people two days out or for the next day. You will see that the vast majority if not only open tee times between 9:00 and 4:00 are on pitch and putt courses. The same was true last winter when we only had Marsh Bend. It was always the last course with open time slots.

Of course there is value in pitch and putt courses. I played Marsh Bend last year and enjoyed it. However prefer playing longer holes with grass tee boxes. And based on the reservation system the majority of other golfers within the villages feel the same way.

The last two executive courses built by T&V have been pitch and putt. If you want to see the trend continue then fine. Personally though I have sent a note to the villages.com and asked them to stop building new pitch and putt based on the information I shared above.
Totally agree. Glad we have PNPs, but we have enough of them (maybe 1 too many). We do need more executive 9 hole courses. But unfortunately TV is not a democracy.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:11 AM

It's all about land use..be happy or move.. trying to keep everyone happy is really hard these days..wanting more...
Old 01-22-2023, 07:24 AM
Default pitch and putt courses south of 44

Be Thankful "The Morse Clan" has given you a few activities South of CR-44.
As you well know by now living South of CR-44 definitely does not have the number of activities as up North. Do you?
Perhaps your Village Sales person did not tell you everything. For some reason, they are told WHAT TO SAY and what not to MENTION.
People will buy South of CR-44 and do not know what they are in for.
Just how many Publix stores do you have to shop in in the South?
Might you have more than one shopping center for how many people?
You need to drive North to Shop, and Dine, and to a Town Square overloading them. When they were designed it was for the number of homes being developed near them. Seems the Morse Clan does not care other than selling homes for huge profits.
Before buying South of CR-44 do yourself a favor and talk to Real Estate Brokers not affiliated with The Villages as there are many for thier views.

Quote:

Dan
Old 01-22-2023, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

A few pitch and putt courses are okay. The number is becoming excessive. Bottom line, cheaper to build a pitch and put then an executive course. Also, more houses can be squeezed in.

Not everyone can walk a pitch and putt course. They exclude many people from playing.

The number of courses south of 44 is simply concerning despite the map showing future courses.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

There is one more P&P in the planning, Live Oak. just south of Monarch Grove. Laural Oak, A new executive of planned just south of that.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Yep…. If people don’t stand up they will go to virtual golf. What could be cheaper? I have contacted them, is there batter suggestions?
Yep, kinda like the beautiful Brownwood theater is a building most likely collecting mold in the duct work now. The Developer has left the building...
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, pitch, putt, south, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.