Palmetto closing

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2023, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I make executive golf tee times for two groups and the increasing difficulty in getting tee times each year would suggest that a lot of people are playing golf and the number of houses per executive course keeps increasing. Demand on the executive courses seems to independent of location; the courses south of 44 are just as busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I think people that are retiring now don't play golf as much or at all. The South is built for that along with more walking trails, dog parks etc. I think the sweet spot for golf is between 466 and 466a and if you like golf, you should buy in this area.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Where do you suggest that they could have added more executive courses in the areas that have been built out south of 44?

Please be specific...
What I think they were trying to say was that they sacrificed executive courses for pitch and putts so that they could maximize the number of houses.

Looking at the tee times each day those pitch and putts are sitting mostly idle whereas if they were executive courses they would be packed and relieve the stress on the other executive courses.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
What I think they were trying to say was that they sacrificed executive courses for pitch and putts so that they could maximize the number of houses.

Looking at the tee times each day those pitch and putts are sitting mostly idle whereas if they were executive courses they would be packed and relieve the stress on the other executive courses.
And they would be wrong...

There was simply not enough land to put in a full executive course where they put the pitch & putts... Especially south of St Catherine's...

They could have possibly squeezed one into Richmond, but that area already had 5 executive courses nearby...

Now that they've started building on the wide swath of land on the other side of the Bexley Bridge, they have already started construction on one (of 5) new exec courses and a new championship course (with 2-3 more already planned)...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I make executive golf tee times for two groups and the increasing difficulty in getting tee times each year would suggest that a lot of people are playing golf and the number of houses per executive course keeps increasing. Demand on the executive courses seems to independent of location; the courses south of 44 are just as busy.
It must be all of the new people who are moving in who have no interest in playing golf... Wait, what?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-22-2023, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
The courses that are maintained by people that know what they are doing are in great shape all year long. Lopez and Glenview, and the four execs are all in great shape. It is NOT because nobody plays them, it is because they have a crew of professionals that know their job. The courses that are suffering are because they have grass cutters trying to maintain a golf course.....you can see the result. The shame of it all is that they will rebuild a course for a year then not maintain it, and two years later it is garbage again??? Why??
You probably answered your own question!
Old 03-22-2023, 01:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Only 13 posts until it became the developers fault for a course they built 10-15 years ago, and have no responsibility to maintain.

Yes, there’s lot of play on the executives. But i think the problem is the maintenance contractors.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Palmetto Executive Golf Course

In our efforts to provide optimum conditions on the Executive Golf Courses, the Palmetto Executive Golf Course will be closed Friday, March 24, 2023 for several weeks to undergo necessary maintenance work. This closure will give the maintenance team time to execute cultural practices on the greens and tees such as aerification and sand topdressing to aid with drainage, relieve compaction and provide oxygen to the root zone. Additionally, the maintenance team will work on eradicating disturbing winter weeds like Poa annua grass. We thank you for your patience during this closure.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Only 13 posts until it became the developers fault for a course they built 10-15 years ago, and have no responsibility to maintain.

Yes, there’s lot of play on the executives. But i think the problem is the maintenance contractors.
So who has the responsibility to insure that the contractor responsible for course maintenance is performing their duties according to the scope of work outlined in the contract ? That individual is ultimately responsible.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:21 AM

I believe the OP was saying they should have planned for more courses before it was built out!
Old 03-23-2023, 07:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post

I looked at the area between 44 and turnpike on Google maps. There’s not much space. Lake Okahumpka and continental are on the north east side, takes up a lot of space.
The only spot was where southern oaks is. They may have been able to get 3 executives in vs 1 championship, but there are a lot of executives south of turnpike.

And yes, the developer has to build homes, that’s their business.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:37 AM

Stop cutting the grass so short. It takes more water, burns out easily, takes more fertilizer, NOTHING TO CHIP OFF OF. It's not supposed to be like the top of a billiards table. Greens yes, the rough and fairways NO.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:41 AM

I wonder what our neighborhood yards would look like with a continuous flow of Golf Cart traffic and foot traffic day in and day out all day long in a drought conditions.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I looked at the area between 44 and turnpike on Google maps. There’s not much space. Lake Okahumpka and continental are on the north east side, takes up a lot of space.
The only spot was where southern oaks is. They may have been able to get 3 executives in vs 1 championship, but there are a lot of executives south of turnpike.

And yes, the developer has to build homes, that’s their business.
I've repeated this exact thing, multiple times...

It seems like wasted breath...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-23-2023, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Not unusual to see a well maintained practice putting green next to an exec course with horrible greens. Maybe no ball marks on the practice green, but same weather and plenty of foot traffic.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

As complaints grow over the condition of golf courses in The Villages, bids are being received this week for improvements at two more courses.

Bids are due by 4 p.m. Friday, March 24 for planned improvements at Hilltop Executive Golf Course on the Historic Side of The Villages and the Briarwood Executive Golf Course in the Village of Briar Meadow in the Marion County section of The Villages. Both of the improvements would be funded through the Amenity Authority Committee.

A mandatory pre-bid meeting was held last week.

Estimates are the work could top $300,000.
Closed Thread

Tags
closing, team, maintenance, palmetto, aid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.