Name:	IMG_0645.jpg
Views:	3894
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	102887   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg
Views:	3920
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	102888  

Last edited by Sonny2024; 02-23-2024 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Sanding spiking, etc. is part of regular maintenance.
Whether the course should be closed during the work is another question.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:13 AM

We played Churchill, Lowlands,and Mickey Lee this past week. Greens were great. Reddish, Tarpon, and Bonita are terrible. They should be closed impossible to putt on
Old 02-17-2024, 08:45 AM

Play on!
Old 02-17-2024, 08:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Sanding spiking, etc. is part of regular maintenance.
Whether the course should be closed during the work is another question.
If you mean aeration & top dressing, that doesn't look like what was done to that Green.

I've never played an Executive Course, so my knowledge is only anecdotal and mostly from this site.

If I moved to TV with the understanding I'd be able to play "free golf" to my heart's content and I assumed that the courses would be maintained to the quality I saw when I bought my home, I'd be pretty damn PO'd with what I see of the Exec courses.

Why isn't anyone do anything about it? Doesn't the CDD have the obligation to continue to provide what you were sold in the first place?

If "free" golf was why you agreed to buy in TV and assume that Amenity Fee ... why aren't there picket lines at the CDD offices and people withholding their Amenity fee? Why all the complaining, but a lack of action on behalf of the "tax (fee) paying public"?
Old 02-17-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hamilton View Post
My wife and I played golf on Tarpon Boil Executive golf course yesterday and the course was horrific. EVERY GREEN were like the pictures attached. Whoever is in charge of making the decision if a course should be open, should be replaced. Better yet, make them waste 2 hrs of their day trying to putt on them, and then remove them. They should be ashamed. I was told from a fellow golfer playing that the sister course RedFish Run was just as bad. What's going on here in the villages? It's so sad.
First world problems

Last edited by sheena0904; 02-18-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage

Withholding their amenity fee? That won't work out well ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
If you mean aeration & top dressing, that doesn't look like what was done to that Green.

I've never played an Executive Course, so my knowledge is only anecdotal and mostly from this site.

If I moved to TV with the understanding I'd be able to play "free golf" to my heart's content and I assumed that the courses would be maintained to the quality I saw when I bought my home, I'd be pretty damn PO'd with what I see of the Exec courses.

Why isn't anyone do anything about it? Doesn't the CDD have the obligation to continue to provide what you were sold in the first place?

If "free" golf was why you agreed to buy in TV and assume that Amenity Fee ... why aren't there picket lines at the CDD offices and people withholding their Amenity fee? Why all the complaining, but a lack of action on behalf of the "tax (fee) paying public"?
Old 02-17-2024, 09:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Withholding their amenity fee? That won't work out well ;-)
Probably not. But with all the complaining, why not do something?

Maybe ... bring 1000 of your like minded friends to the Golf/CDD Office, line up around the corner ... complain in person, one by one and wait for the press to show up?

Maybe a golf cart parade, with slogans and signs?

I'm the first to admit that the Championship courses are in abysmal condition, but that's a different story. They're privately owned and the owner is entitled to maintain them as he feels necessary and he's entitled to not serve the folks who don't like it.

The Executives are a whole different story. "Government" is not providing what they promised and charge for.

.... or perhaps some folks are complaining because they're not playing well?
Old 02-17-2024, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:

If I moved to TV …..
So basically talk as fact, based on what you read on the internet.

The executives are fine, some are worse than others, but it’s lots of holes of golf all winter, no snow, with great people.
The amenity fee is spread among a lot of things, it’s not like it only pays for executive golf.
I think the contractors who maintain the courses aren’t monitored or held to the standard in the contract as close as they should.

I played Evans Prairie today. It was fine, not great, and certainly not in as good shape as my country club at home (which is under 6” of snow). But I didn’t have to write a 6 figure check for access to Evans prairie plus thousands of dollars of dues every year.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:

No, I did not mean aeration and top dressing.
Seen sanded greens and tee boxes, as in pictures, on many occasions on courses, some they spike, others just sanded.
I even spike and sand my lawn at home once a year.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage

First of all, I don't complain about the executives and I have zero desire to participate in a golf cart parade and make signs. That is just silly talk. There is a large variance in the quality of the executives. Why this is so, I don't know. I am reasonable sure the folks responsible for the maintenance aren't happy with the situation on some of the courses. The conditions on the courses with issues probably won't improve until the weather warms up. I suspect the management would like to shut down some of the courses (Bonita Pass comes to mind) but the high demand for tee times may prevent that from happening.

Quote:
Probably not. But with all the complaining, why not do something?

Maybe ... bring 1000 of your like minded friends to the Golf/CDD Office, line up around the corner ... complain in person, one by one and wait for the press to show up?

Maybe a golf cart parade, with slogans and signs?

I'm the first to admit that the Championship courses are in abysmal condition, but that's a different story. They're privately owned and the owner is entitled to maintain them as he feels necessary and he's entitled to not serve the folks who don't like it.

The Executives are a whole different story. "Government" is not providing what they promised and charge for.

.... or perhaps some folks are complaining because they're not playing well?
Old 02-17-2024, 10:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
My wife and I played golf on Tarpon Boil Executive golf course yesterday and the course was horrific. EVERY GREEN were like the pictures attached. Whoever is in charge of making the decision if a course should be open, should be replaced. Better yet, make them waste 2 hrs of their day trying to putt on them, and then remove them. They should be ashamed. I was told from a fellow golfer playing that the sister course RedFish Run was just as bad. What's going on here in the villages? It's so sad.
Is that sand on the greens. If so, that is normal maintenance. Unfortunately, due to colder temps in Central Florida it is needed in the winter.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Is that sand on the greens. If so, that is normal maintenance. Unfortunately, due to colder temps in Central Florida it is needed in the winter.
Yes, that's sand on those greens, filling in all the dead areas killed by fungus. It is not the time of year to aerate and top dress the greens. But it is the only thing you can do when all else fails. Likely the mowers carrying the disease from one green to the next on those three courses.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:07 AM

I have found playing golf in and around TV at this time of year is a bit dicey in that you don’t always know what you’re going to get in terms of course conditions. Online course reviews can be helpful if you can find them and they are recent. I always try to do some homework lest risk having a bad experience.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:33 AM
Default tarpon boil

Quote:
there is a posted maint. schedule,tells you when they sand !!!!

Tags
tarpon, boil, golf, executive, ashamed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.