The USGA to the rescue?

Old 03-31-2024, 07:06 AM

I am amazed that we have so many golf course experts in the villages. Most bring vast knowledge from ‘back home’. There is always a course nearby in pristine condition and every course should be that way. Kinda sounds like farmers complaining about poor crops.
Soils vary, conditions vary, personel vary, and agronomy varies.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,037 Times in 1,752 Posts

The USGA apparently found that El Niño weather “is at least 50% responsible” for the conditions on 4 executive courses. But apparently not for the other golf courses around in our area which were found in good condition. Hmmm? I was here and I don’t remember cloud bursts, or cold, strictly on certain specific locations all winter?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
I am amazed that we have so many golf course experts in the villages. Most bring vast knowledge from ‘back home’. There is always a course nearby in pristine condition and every course should be that way. Kinda sounds like farmers complaining about poor crops.
I agree. I'm a gardening "expert" from "up north". The soils and growing conditions of almost everything in Florida is a different world from every other state. Maintaining courses on sandy soil can be more challenging and the weed pressure in Florida is greatly amplified due to the warm humid weather here and lack of a winter die-off for most weeds.

That being said, there's plenty of courses in Florida that have remained well maintained for decades, so I'm sure they just have the right people managing those and an appropriate budget to execute their maintenance program.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
Coming from "farm country" (Iowa) farmers may complain about poor crops, but not because one section had too much rain and cloud cover and the adjacent one did not. It usually comes down to planting too early or too late, using the wrong fertilizer or fertilizing too soon or too late or failing to cultivate in a timely manner. In other words, operator error.

Tags
villages, usga, greens, cover, cloud

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.