The USGA to the rescue?

Old 03-30-2024, 07:37 AM
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
So Steve, what is your solution? Does everyone honestly believe that every greens keeper in the villages from end to end all forgot how to maintain their respective courses all at the same time? Please start coming with positive suggestions instead of constant complaints. Be part of the solution. We appear to have thousands of "experts" but few come forward with ways to help improve the situation. First everyone must acknowledge that the golfing model in The Villages is unlike any other in the world from a pure usage perspective. We are not like " my club" back home. Start there and come up with suggestions.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Read in today's (3/29/24) Daily Sun the USGA cavalry is being called in to rescue The Villages executive golf courses devastated by El Nino's excess rain and cloud cover(!). It may be quicker and less expensive to check out who is doing the greens keeping at Continental Country Club or The Links of Spruce Creek South, both basically within The Villages, and ask them for advice.

Played The Links for the first time in several months yesterday and was shocked at the near-pristine conditions. The greens were magnificent and the fairways green and lush. A couple of tees could use some work but that's small potatoes compared to the conditions of a number of Villages courses, both Executive and Championship. And for $38.00 after 1:00 PM! Same El Nino. Same cloud cover.
The Villages should be ashamed!
An ambassador told us there are 2 companies currently who manage course maintenance. One in the north and south and one central. The ‘firm’ has fired the central company. Once they were told their contract would not be renewed other bad things began to happen. One thing they’re supposed to do and did NOT do, is clean their blades before going to the next course. Hence, the fungus problem we’ve seen. Word is, the ‘firm’ will be taking over the maintenance. Makes sense with the USGA visiting.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,718 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
So Steve, what is your solution? Does everyone honestly believe that every greens keeper in the villages from end to end all forgot how to maintain their respective courses all at the same time? Please start coming with positive suggestions instead of constant complaints. Be part of the solution. We appear to have thousands of "experts" but few come forward with ways to help improve the situation. First everyone must acknowledge that the golfing model in The Villages is unlike any other in the world from a pure usage perspective. We are not like " my club" back home. Start there and come up with suggestions.
Sorry, but you don't need to be a master gardener to recognize that the "professionals" you hired have failed. You don't need to be a master mechanic to know that your car is running worse after it came out of the shop. In both scenarios you don't have to know what needs to be done to know the professionals have screwed up and didn't or couldn't maintain your investment in the manner they should have. Your job, is to hire professionals. And if the "pro" doesn't do what they were hired to do, fire them and interview the next applicants for the job.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,718 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerlady View Post
An ambassador told us there are 2 companies currently who manage course maintenance. One in the north and south and one central. The ‘firm’ has fired the central company. Once they were told their contract would not be renewed other bad things began to happen. One thing they’re supposed to do and did NOT do, is clean their blades before going to the next course. Hence, the fungus problem we’ve seen. Word is, the ‘firm’ will be taking over the maintenance. Makes sense with the USGA visiting.
Sounds like conspiracy to sabotage by central company. They were hired to do certain jobs and intentionally failed to do the jobs, but took the money. Fraud?
Old 03-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Angry

One glaring omission ... no mention of what's in store for Championship Courses!
Old 03-30-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I don't run The Villages golf courses. I am not a professional greenskeeper. I just play. But I have noticed that golf courses outside The Villages are in better condition than many of the golf courses inside The Villages. I don't have the answers. What I'm saying is apparently the people who are being paid to have the answers don't have the answers. If you're good with that...well, you are in the right place. Tee it up!
Old 03-30-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemotay View Post
I believe that Steve offered a potentially less expensive solution. He suggested asking two other golf courses that have very good greens conditions and are in the same general vicinity for advice rather than the USGA. Those courses also receive a lot of play.
Don't even need to go to Continental or Spruce Creek.....we have proven experience at Glenview, Lopez, & Southern Oaks..(now at Hacienda & OB). I believe the TV would be better having it's own maintenance crews for all golf courses. The cross sharing of equiptment (core & veritcut aeration & rollers) and same direction and experience being sent to all crews. Having separte contracted crews is not working....so change that before any more damage is encured.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Default Golf Courses

Cudo's, Cudo's,Cudo's to whoever bit their pride and called in the USGA. They will get more definitive answers than El Nino, Sunspots, or the Eclipse.

The question is whether or not that report will be passed along to Villagers who are interested.

The troublesome part is whether or not greens were originally built to USGA Specifications. Loam sand mix, proper drainage, proper grass. If not, then these issue will persist over time. You can only polish a sneaker for so long.

Greens don't go bad in one day. They show early warning signs, UNLESS, no one is watching. Or doesn't know what to watch for.

Glad to see they called in the storm troopers. And they may learn that too few persons taking care of too many courses will not always work. Hopefully, its not a construction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
Don't even need to go to Continental or Spruce Creek.....we have proven experience at Glenview, Lopez, & Southern Oaks..(now at Hacienda & OB). I believe the TV would be better having it's own maintenance crews for all golf courses. The cross sharing of equiptment (core & veritcut aeration & rollers) and same direction and experience being sent to all crews. Having separte contracted crews is not working....so change that before any more damage is encured.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,123 Times in 5,366 Posts

How come nobody is saying global warming is causing the deterioration of our courses?
Old 03-30-2024, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Read in today's (3/29/24) Daily Sun the USGA cavalry is being called in to rescue The Villages executive golf courses devastated by El Nino's excess rain and cloud cover(!). It may be quicker and less expensive to check out who is doing the greens keeping at Continental Country Club or The Links of Spruce Creek South, both basically within The Villages, and ask them for advice.

Played The Links for the first time in several months yesterday and was shocked at the near-pristine conditions. The greens were magnificent and the fairways green and lush. A couple of tees could use some work but that's small potatoes compared to the conditions of a number of Villages courses, both Executive and Championship. And for $38.00 after 1:00 PM! Same El Nino. Same cloud cover.
The Villages should be ashamed!
April first in couple days
Old 03-30-2024, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,123 Times in 2,765 Posts

USGA, what does that stand for after you make a bad put on crappy greens? U suck, go again : )
Old 03-30-2024, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,287 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
How come nobody is saying global warming is causing the deterioration of our courses?
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 03-30-2024, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,123 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The Villages Florida
WHY NOT
Old 03-30-2024, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,287 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
WHY NOT
Because if you do that enough, this is what happens!

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 03-31-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
The dog ate my homework....el nino made the golf courses bad.....i have a bridge in nyc to sell you....pick one!
Baltimore could use a new bridge

Tags
villages, usga, greens, cover, cloud

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.