Who has the best Greens in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2023, 07:17 AM
Default Who has the best Greens in The Villages?

The Survey results are in. Villages Golf Maintenance Survey is a Google Form and hosted by Google. 900 responses were recorded prior to a recent change in the questions. The survey results were cleared out to make room for new and additional questions. I changed the focus from "tell me what is wrong" to "tell me what is right". The old survey focused on only Tee Boxes, Bunkers and Greens. A new section was added for a group called Fairways, Collars and Rough. The survey can be located at "https://forms.gle/r1KiDohrECcowcRS6". The survey covers 41 executive, 13 championship and 3 pitch & putt golf courses. After submitting your results you will have an option to review all of the results to date. Results can also be found on my Google Blog which will be posted from time to time. The location of my Google Blog is "executivegolfmaintenance.blogspot.com".

So who has the best Greens in the Villages? This answer comes from the question "How would you rank the overall quality of the Greens? Select one." You then select from a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is "Poor Quality" and 10 is "Looks Great".

Nancy Lopez scored 7.7 out of 10 to take the top prize.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Bait and switch. Thought this was about going to be about vegetables.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Many friends tell me Continental Country Club has the best greens. They are new ”Champion” ultra -dwarf and the variety of Bermuda is much different than in The Villages.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post

So who has the best Greens in the Villages? This answer comes from the question "How would you rank the overall quality of the Greens? Select one." You then select from a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is "Poor Quality" and 10 is "Looks Great".

Nancy Lopez scored 7.7 out of 10 to take the top prize.
"Looks Great" is not a valid criteria for "good greens".

& how anyone can suggest that Lopez Greens are better than TDS, is beyond me.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:12 AM

My bride ..... she makes a dynamite salad!
Old 06-24-2023, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
"Looks Great" is not a valid criteria for "good greens".

& how anyone can suggest that Lopez Greens are better than TDS, is beyond me.
Any course with the new type of hybrid greens are very close, including Tierra, Lopez, Southern Oaks, and Riley Grove at Palmer. Tierra is probably the best because they have the oldest new type of greens. The greens soften up over time and accept approach shots better after being aerated several times. Golf on : )
Old 06-24-2023, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Many friends tell me Continental Country Club has the best greens. They are new ”Champion” ultra -dwarf and the variety of Bermuda is much different than in The Villages.
CCC is not in The Villages. I played it once and felt that the greens were better than almost everything else in TV.

The best that I recall in TV were Lopez and believe it or not, Silver Lake.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Any course with the new type of hybrid greens are very close, including Tierra, Lopez, Southern Oaks, and Riley Grove at Palmer. Tierra is probably the best because they have the oldest new type of greens. The greens soften up over time and accept approach shots better after being aerated several times. Golf on : )
Until today, I would have said Tierra. However, today, 20 days after aeration they absolutely sucked. Slow, bumpy, putts would not track and very hard to reach the hole. I'm sure they will recover just in time for the next aeration in 1 week or 2, and then again a month after that. I'm not stating that greens don't need aeration---but June, July, then August? Have never seen that anywhere. Perhaps late March, July and early October would be better, at least then some of the snowbirds could share in the joy
Old 06-24-2023, 04:20 PM

1800 sounded very appropriate. Then
Old 06-26-2023, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Until today, I would have said Tierra. However, today, 20 days after aeration they absolutely sucked. Slow, bumpy, putts would not track and very hard to reach the hole. I'm sure they will recover just in time for the next aeration in 1 week or 2, and then again a month after that. I'm not stating that greens don't need aeration---but June, July, then August? Have never seen that anywhere. Perhaps late March, July and early October would be better, at least then some of the snowbirds could share in the joy
Thank you thank you thank you. We all pay the same fees and the snow birds should share in some of the misery of trying to putt on the obstacle course repeatedly aerated greens. Fair is fair and right now the year arounders are being screwed
Old 06-26-2023, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Thank you thank you thank you. We all pay the same fees and the snow birds should share in some of the misery of trying to putt on the obstacle course repeatedly aerated greens. Fair is fair and right now the year arounders are being screwed
They don’t want to scare away golfers, and the associated revenue, aerating greens before June 1st on the Championship courses when they are charging full winter rates. I think they also don’t want to aerate during dry season, they wait until the months of the year that typically get the most rain. And lastly, snowbirds do share in the misery. The have to pay the highest green fees of the year, play during the shortest days of the year, when the courses are the most crowded, the rounds are the slowest, and when the conditions are typically the worst (January through mid March).

Last edited by tophcfa; 06-26-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:34 AM

All Greens (anywhere) are punched in their specific growing season. Bermuda greens grow best in the heat of summer.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:40 AM

Hmm...I was going to vote for the Cob Salad at Arnold Palmer (10) followed by Fenny Grill (9.9).
Old 07-20-2023, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
CCC is not in The Villages. I played it once and felt that the greens were better than almost everything else in TV.

The best that I recall in TV were Lopez and believe it or not, Silver Lake.
Since they've redone the greens at CCC, I find them to be unfair. It is true that they run true and are fast, but every green is built as a domed green, and since they are new, they are hard. Nearly impossible to keep an approach shot on the green, including a high flying wedge. Shots can hit in center and roll of green in any direction.

To top it off, when I played it, the area around the green was hardpan, so difficult to chip from as well. In a couple of years, these greens may be great, but for now, I'll stay away.

Best greens in The Villages (from a consistently good perspective) are at Tierra del Sol. I have never played them when they are anything but fast and true (compared to all other courses). Lopez and Riley come close once in a while, but not consistently.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post

Best greens in The Villages (from a consistently good perspective) are at Tierra del Sol. I have never played them when they are anything but fast and true (compared to all other courses). Lopez and Riley come close once in a while, but not consistently.

I don't play Lopez, because I think it's an awful design. You're 100% right about TDS. Always the best in TV. Riley is generally close to TDS in my opinion. I'm hoping the redo of Laurel yields similar results.
Closed Thread

Tags
survey, results, greens, google, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.