Yankee Clipper

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2023, 11:31 AM
Smile Yankee Clipper

Played Yankee Clipper this morning. Overall, the course is in good shape. Greens are fast but the Tee boxes are really beat up. They need some rest and TLC.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:49 PM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Such a shame this time of year.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Such a shame this time of year.
Yes, probably from all that fall rain we never got!
Old 10-30-2023, 08:46 AM
Default Variations amongst greens

Reminds me that a couple of questions have come to mind about our local greens.

First, played a couple of the nines at Bonifay about a week ago. The greens putted *wonderfully*! They *felt* pretty to walk across. We've mostly played the same few executives and pitch and putts since getting here less than six months ago.

I'm curious about what "obvious" differences there could be amongst the various greens. None were "bad", as compared to, say, the local munis I occasionally got to play as a kid - not counting the "recently aerated versions". :-) I don't get any sense that mowing height is significantly different, but suspect that this is more my lack of "sensibility" in that area of understanding/observation.

But, what really has me flummoxed is when I carry an iron onto a green, the variation that I find in ball mark production is mind boggling. Using ProV1's so the marks (if present) tend to be only a few feet away. *But*, many greens show *no ball mark at all*! And, this would be on the same course on the same day!

Have now started noticing that many greens on the executive courses that we play the most will have zero un-repaired ball marks, whilst a few of the holes will have many. I initially made the assumption that this was likely due to the length of the holes - with shorter holes being both hit on the fly more often, as well as being more like to be hit by higher flying, more steeply descending short irons. *But*, I *will* occasionally carry a nice, high 4 iron onto a green, and I've found the same variable result on those occasions - there may or may not be a ball mark to be found, and that seems to correlate with whether there are other, unrepaired marks extant on that green.

So, why do some greens - on the same nine holes - yield ball marks, while others don't?? BTW, I found the same to be true on those fine, Bonifay nines' greens.

Oh, and I find it all but impossible to walk by an unrepaired ball mark without stopping and repairing it. Think "Monk". :-) Oh, and *all* of the greens which failed to show ball marks *still* felt nice and "soft" to my feet as I trod across them. TIA
Closed Thread

Tags
yankee, clipper, morning, tee, rest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.