Bone density at age 85

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,334 Posts

Was the test done at the doctors office or elsewhere
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Sage

asianthree - test hasn't been done yet - just recommended - that is the op's question - is it needed?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
just my opinion but I feel it is totally not necessary. At 85 my guess is the test will show bone loss and then the Dr can push some crazy new drug and get his kickback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
I also vote NO. Even if she has compression fractures, there is nothing they can do about it so I'd wait until (if) she has fracture and treat it then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
I also vote for NO. If needed, the medication has horrible side effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My grandmother lived to be 96. That's 11 years of broken bones and pain if she had osteo left untreated.

A friend from church, in her 80s, snapped a femur standing up. In rehab, they had to turn a screw in her leg every day for months, making her scream with pain. It took a year for her to recover.

It's a simple test and medication. I hope nobody gives up on me when I'm 85. I know a few very active 85-year-olds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I didn't read anyone saying the test or remedies wouldn't be appropriate if her health and general state of well being substantiated treatment. Calm down and understand there are those of us that have experienced tests being suggested for our parents that were ridiculous to say the least and I am glad the daughter is questioning the validity of the doctor's suggestion.
Calm down? No, not when I read the posts quoted above, which are of the same nature that have dominated the question in the past. I DID "read anyone saying the test or remedies wouldn't be appropriate".

And as I read, I saw that CFrance's post was the one that hit the nail on the head.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.