brown age spots

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Default brown age spots

Has anyone found anything really effective in removing the age spots that appear on faces-I can cover them up some with makeup, but I want a permanent remover - laser therapy???
Old 04-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Sage
Default Re: brown age spots

Conn, good topic, I'm sure we've all got some brown spots!

I've tried laser and since it basically burns off layers of skin, you are left with patches of pink or white skin. And if you happen to ever expose them to sun again, they will burn like a baby's bum.

There are creams available at drug stores, haven't tried them, can anyone make a suggestion?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Tried creams, they don't work.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Here are some links which may provide some information.

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90829.php
www.drugs.com/cdi/hydroquinone-cream.html
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beau...age-spots-1007

The thing about creams with Hydroquinone is that they take a long time to work and you must apply them religiously several times a day in addition it is paramount to protect your skin from the sun. Daily use of hats and sunscreen with a minimum of 30 SPF should become second nature.

That being said.... do I do these things every day. No, that's why the dark stains on my face have not diminished as much as I'd like. My dermatologist said she'd give me a prescription for stronger Hydroquinone cream but I haven't been back to see her yet.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Dancing Thyme

Good info, Pup, thanks.

I had the derm freeze the brown spots off recently and some times it worked and other times, it had to be done more than once. The over-the-counter Hydroquinone is not strong enough to accomplish anything and the stronger, prescription version, only worked on small freckles on my face, not much more than that. Not only that, you must be dedicated to use it once or twice a day, and I'm not that dedicated, unfortunately.

Haven't tried the laser but not sure I'd like pink spots on my face, wouldn't look much better than the brown spots. I agree with Pup, the key is to wear hats and use SPF 30+ every day, even if the sun is not out, and that will be the best preventative way to deter these little devils. I have also found that using face makeup with SPF of 25+ is also good as this will again be a deterrent.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Sage

Hey, we're aging. We get spots, fat, droopiness, senility, wrinkles. It's tough to stop the ravages of time. Maybe it's time to look beyond all that and see how wonderful we are as people.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Samhass

But I must say that I do use moisturizers, wrinkle reducers, sunscreen, and whatever else I can to help reverse some signs of aging.

Brown spots...oh heck...they just blend in with all the freckles I have!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
Hey, we're aging. We get spots, fat, droopiness, senility, wrinkles. It's tough to stop the ravages of time. Maybe it's time to look beyond all that and see how wonderful we are as people.
Samhass - I agree we should look beyond our aging exteriors! However may I point out that you have to wait ten years to post an opinion since you are still cute and perky, not droopy and wrinkled!!

There are many days when I look in the mirror and my mother looks back. The cosmetics industry makes millions of dollars off Boomers trying to look younger. But as the old saying goes ... there's no sense in closing the barn door after the horse is gone. Or the old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be. Or something. I'm sleep deprived, can you tell.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Sage

Barefoot, you just say that cuz you are my friend. I look in the mirror and see my Father..when he was old. Guess you didn't notice in that huge picture of me that my chin/neck have become as one. I know the droop when I see it. I also look in the mirror and think " Who in the world is that person wrapped around my soul?"
Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Gold member

First we are hot and then we are not...and we are supposed to take that lying down????

I'm so glad I am not alone on this. Maybe instead of searching for creams and treatments and diets and physical tortures to reconstruct the outside, we should form a support group to seek out self-acceptance and appreciation of our inner self!!!
:: :: ::
Okay that's the only time you will hear that coming from me. Now where did you say you could buy that cream???
1rnfl
Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Sage

Susan, you are hysterical!

Actually I like the idea of the self-acceptance support group, because if all the creams and potions fail ,we can fall back on logic and self acceptance, mabe that will help the suicidal tendencies. LOL

Question: Where do these lovely brown spots come from and why? Is this similiar to an old bruised peach??? Oh Lord, this topic is depressing.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Gold member

Well Nonie if you really want that I think I can definitely help with that.

Even though my training and career were in architectural design, for the last few year I have been teaching self-esteem to drug and alcohol addicted prostitutes...for real.

If I can help them with their self worth I can certainly shine a little light into the lives of the beautiful women who hang out on this forum.

Self-deprecating humor can be funny, so I use it. But bottom line I think we all know down deep that we are worthwhile women who are aging quite nicely.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
But bottom line I think we all know down deep that we are worthwhile women who are aging quite nicely.
Susan, how deep do I have to go?? OMG, do I need help!??? Pleaseeeee, help me!!

Kath :redface:

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Well Kathie probably not that deep...LA is pretty close to the "Valley" and we Californians know how deep they are. 1rnfl 1rnfl

I'd say your beauty is probably pretty close to the surface.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Well Kathie probably not that deep...LA is pretty close to the "Valley" and we Californians know how deep they are. 1rnfl 1rnfl I'd say your beauty is probably pretty close to the surface.
Susan, I was a "valley girl" for the first 25 out of 30 years living in L.A. How do you think I got the "brown spots", all that hot, dry, sunny weather. Kath

P.S. thanks for the compliment "I'd say your beauty is probably pretty close to the surface."

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.