Buying a Swimsuit

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Default Buying a Swimsuit

I can't believe what I went through this weekend looking for that ONE bathsuit to fit the right way. I've always been my own worse critic when looking for anything... but this time all I want it was a simple, quite flattering top with skirted bottom, not too flashy, not too provocative and very comfortable swimsuit. Well, instead I found many slim looking; tight body suits which exposed body parts I didn't even know I had to show.... I should say, I had forgotten once was looked at. Unbelievable...

After looking for many hours, hubby restless, very hungry.... I did buy and finally settled for a two piece swimsuit, quite comfortable, minimizing my upper body structure, while hips and thighs went "undercover" ... oh, complemented with a large sigh of relief from the BIG man that finally we could head home.

Still not sure and I don't feel right when I look at myself but what the heck one way or the other this one body was going to get into something no matter what.... Since summer is finally here I'm going to enjoy every minute of it... of course in the privacy of my own pool!

I just wondered how many of us out there have gone through the same situation this season buying what we consider "the right bathsuit" ....

Where around TV land can you buy not so sexy, comfortable to move in, with some sort of extra coverage, for mature ladies who just want to have fun in a Makini? :dontknow:

I came across the following article and I didn't feel so bad after all.

AARP reader Barbara Costa shares her humorous slant on shopping for—and wearing—a bathing suit at age 74.

Read her essay for a good giggle.

http://bulletin.aarp.org/opinions/kn...L&DET=F2-70308

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Buying a Swimsuit

I think it's a female thing. Although I was always a size 10, buying a new swimsuit each year was just about equal to having a root-canal. It's really not our bodies...... blame the manufacturers for designing swimsuits that look great on a ten-year-old :

Still a size 10 but I have better luck with the more expensive one-piece suits made with industrial-strength spandex. 8)
Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Platinum member

There are many quality bathing suits at Darlene's on 441 near Winn Dixie. They are all 29.99!!!! There are many styles and sizes for the mature woman. I can usually go in and come out with a new suit! :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Gold member

I know what you mean about trying to find a suit that fits all over. Last year I bought one from a catalog called "As We Change". They have a web site also. Best suit I've bought in a long time. Their catalog has a lot of things besides bathing suits. Check out the web site and order a catalog. First suit that fit my top and bottom in a long time and it is a one piece.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Well, I've got to hijack this thread just a little cause I went looking for a nice dress to wear to a wedding in August. It's the same experience as trying to find the right bathing suit. Aaaargh!

Have any of you tried to find a somewhat sexy dress that was also flattering and hid the parts that needed to be hidden?

Well, last week I spent 3 days in deep depression (not really but I want you to understand how frustrated I was) because all I could find were dresses made for 16 year olds! My body does not like clingy dresses that stores carry now!

I'd try on a dress, look in the mirror and see a mature woman in a clingy, thin polyester dress that hugged every bulge and roll, spaghetti straps that brought attention to broad shoulders and fat arms, and an empire waistline that made me look pregnant.

I finally decided The Villages's stores had nothing for me so I trekked to Macy's in Ocala yesterday. Lo and behold, I found a dress...in fact, the first one I tried on.

I wasn't concerned about price tags and was willing to pay whatever for the perfect dress...$100, $200, $300...I didn't care as long as I found a dress I felt comfortable.

Well, what a shock when I went to the cash register (nope, I never looked at the tag cause, remember, I didn't care) and it rang up at $12.99 marked down from $70.00!

Mind you it needs shortened and the hips taken in a bit but I'm finally happy! And, my neighbor 2 doors down offered to alter it for me.

But one more thing...I made up (and then some) for the savings on my dress when I found the "perfect" shoes to wear with it!

Next comes the jewelry...lol

Now, don't get me started on bathing suits...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Sage

Bright,

The clothing Gods were with you! Wow! what a deal, you must have skipped all the way home. :bigthumbsup:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Nonie

I was whistling a happy tune all the way home...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Veteran member

mikark........ thanks for the recommendation of that catalog. I looked at the web site and they have some gorgeous bathing suits and some unusual items. I love the roll-up visor. ;D
Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

My Speedo is just fine thank you, :bigthumbsup: funny thing though, I don't fill it out like i used too , and I'm not referring to the hip size :redface:
Handie :joke:
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Platinum member

Last year I was in Bealls Outlet. I saw a very pretty royal blue, 1 piece modest cut bathing suit, with a royal blue sheer attached hip length cover-up. Get this, it was marked down from $99.00 to $39.00, then the cashier rings it 95% off. That will be 1.99! It fits perfect and is my favorite right now. You just get lucky sometimes! BTW, Bright, I love Macys and will go next time! I need a dress for our sons wedding next May. Most likely it will be a cold wedding ceremony on the beach in RI, then moved inside overlooking the ocean. Haven't found the right dress yet! GGRRRRRRRR.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Rok

Dillards has recently opened in Ocala, too..

Don't forget to check it out along with Macy's.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Platinum member

Thanks for all the info today!! :-*
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 AM

I hadn't purchased a new swimsuit in years in an effort to avoid that ever tortuous experience. However, since the old one has finally seen better days, I did find 2 very nice ones at Anthony's in Colony Plaza.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Ladies -

Just want to thank everyone for their store/catalog suggestions and their wonderful stories. I'll look again for the heck of it.... just to get my fustrations out of the way .... GGRRRRR

Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.