Gentle Exercise Classes for Women Who Hate to Jump Around

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Sage
Default Gentle Exercise Classes for Women Who Hate to Jump Around

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some gentle exercise options? Unfortunately I don't like getting cold and wet which lets out swimming. And I am definitely not a morning person, which rules out a lot of stuff. I don't want to jump around with weights. Oh yeah, my memory is shot, which rules out line dancing and tai chi. 040

Currently I do Qigong, gentle Yoga, stretch and tone and synergetics (but I found body sculpting too taxing). I do walk every day when I'm at the Dog park. I've love to know about anything else I've missed.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Default Re: Gentle Exercise Classes for Women Who Hate to Jump Around

BF,
Don't know if you ever saw the information for Bodyflex, but it's wonderful!!
I started doing it before partly for migraines as it brings so much oxygen in to your body.
But also lost a ton of inches!
It incorporates beep breathing with isotonic and isometric exercises and you do most of it sitting in a chair. And takes less than 20. mins.,,, in you PJ's or whatever. Different from yoga tho.
Also helps increase flexibility.

I LOVED it, don't know what happened that I slipped out of doing it, but have just started back.

www.bodyflex.com
Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Gold member

Mint:
Does it really work?

I am always doubtful of the advertisements that claim weigh loss and inch loss.

All done while sitting down? Wow! Sounds to good to be true, is it?

:dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Beady,
I have to say, for me at least, it was the best exercise thing I've ever done for myself.
I was doubtful too, and I've tried em all, (I was the informercial QUEEN!).

The breathing is the key tho, never seen anything like it.
Hilarious the first time you watch the video. But Wow,,, does it make you feel good!

The Bodyflex lady (Greer Childress) also has a book called "Be a Loser' , which goes into more detail about why her program works. I also enjoyed the book alot. Fun reading.

GOOD GRIEF!!! I sound like a commericial!! :yikes:

Actually, I kind of expected to see a Bodyflex class or group here at TV.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Gold member

Okay, great. Thanks , Mintjulip, for the clarification. I am going to find the book and see if it's something I'd like to try.
Like Barefoot said ,I am beyond the jumping and bouncing but still need some form of exercise that will be effective. I am going to go back to walking and your program along with Yoga seems like it might be a good mix.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

On the topic of exercise, I've been meaning to ask this question but I suspect the answer is no (?) Is there any INDOOR heated swimming pool in TV?

With a bad back and weak knees, I don't play golf or tennis or aerobics etc. but one of my best options for exercising is at my local fitness center. It has ALL the amenities available at the best gyms, including two heated indoor swimming pools, one is 80 degrees, and hot spa at 103 degrees. The entire wall of the facility is made of glass which overlooks the mountains and in the winter, one can be swimming indoors and looking at the snow falling !! However, I think I'd rather be looking at palm trees LOL.

So, when the weather is cool and rainy......... is there an option to swim indoors at TV ???????
Old 02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Sage

Coney,

The only indoor pool is at the wellness center....you can search for other posts on the costs to join.

However, all the outdoor pools are heated to 82-85 degrees; with the rare cool, rainy day exceptions, you can swim in the outdoor pools all year round and get your palm tree view fix at the same time. I would advise using the outdoor pools for a year first and if you don't feel you're getting enough pool time, check out the wellness center.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Sage

Wow Mintjulep, that is quite a testimonial! Usually I don't believe any commercials I see on TV, but I may just try Bodyflex. Except I guess I need a DVD player. > There must be some activities offered in The Villages which are gentle and effective.

Coney: As V7 said, outdoor pools are heated. Our neighbourhood pool is heated to 83 degrees and many people swim daily. Unfortunately I hate being cold and wet, so I only swim on really hot days.

Beady, perhaps we should try the Springdale Walking Trail. It is up in your area. Dogs can go on a leash, tho I don't know if Bosun would be up for it.

At the dog park, 3 times around the back field equals one mile (I am told). Since I'm there every day anyway, guess that is my best bet. I could replace gabbing and socializing with walking!!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Gold member

Barefoot, something you may want to try is Fit Tv...a channel on the tv. These two classes are a combination of yoga/pilates movements. Cathe Friedrich has three different levels to these classes. Level 1 is great for me even level 2. Haven't seen 3 yet. I am Tivo-ing them and will then make DVD's of them to use at home. You might like these classes. I know I do.
The Villages Florida

FitTV :: TV Listings :: Core Max : Cathe Friedrich
Series TV Schedule
fittv.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=56.14645.112271.29212.x

FitTV :: TV Listings :: Stretch Max : Cathe Friedrich
Series TV Schedule
fittv.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=56.14645.112270.29211.x
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Time for Tee

Check out Girltalk. I gave a few prices for the Wellness Center on classes. Only problem --Lots of physical people there all of the time.Makes me feel like a wimp that I am not on a machine.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Time For Tee....... I'm already sold on joining the Wellness Center because it sounds much like the one I belong to; and I don't use all those machines either - only a few favorite easy ones LOL . Do you know if Wellness Center has its own website?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Gold member

I thought in one of the centers they had exercise equipment and classes that was free to village residents.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 AM
Time for Tee

I cannot find a Website :dontknow:but have a information phone number for the Wellness center. It is 753-6910 This is next to the hospital but from my understanding is a completely separate business. The hospital has its own cardio department and Physical Therapy. You can sign for a class each month or for three or six months. They love to give tours!
All of the regional centers have sessions that are free --Giggles and Shakes, low impact, line dancing, etc. In the paper every day in Lifestyle under Recreation. Every local and regional are listed. Big days seem to be Tues. and Thurs. morn. Very crowded Feb. and March so have to arrive early. For some reason I am always late when I arrive on time??
Old 03-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Sage

Hyacinth,

The following regional rec centers have fitness centers: Laurel Manor, Mulberry Grove, and Colony Cottage. However, they are not free to use....you can use by the day ($5 per day) or join by month, semi annual, or year. These are basically unsupervised rooms...no personal trainers or organized classes. For the 'full' gym experience, the wellness center is it.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Gold member

07, thanks for the info. I just assumed there would be a club here that was supported from the amenity fees. Seemed like they had so much to offer and that is why I assumed this.

See ya.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.