Gray Hair -- Fight It or Give In?

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Default Found Freedom

I stopped coloring my hair in my early 50s. I never got compliments about my hair while I was coloring it but get so many compliments since I stopped. My hair looks and feels healthier. I earned these grays and wear them with pride. Check out
Your Photos « « Anne Kreamer Anne Kreamer
to see some before and after looks.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

Kathy Bates looks great in "Harry's Law"!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Default Photos

Thanks for the pictures - I love viewing the differences - it such an incentive!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I stopped coloring my hair in my early 50s. I never got compliments about my hair while I was coloring it but get so many compliments since I stopped. My hair looks and feels healthier. I earned these grays and wear them with pride. Check out
Your Photos « « Anne Kreamer Anne Kreamer
to see some before and after looks.
Thanks for the photos. I think gray hair looks spectacular on anyone, any age, if they have a youthful -looking face. As we age and our skin fades, we definitely need to abandon the darker, harsher colours.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
In the past year, I've been noticing quite a bit more gray hair. I get it colored about every 7 weeks (I've tried the home coloring route, but I'm hand challenged and getting it colored professionally looks better for me). When I'm up to the 7 week mark the gray hair is getting pretty noticeable -- at least it is to me.

So for the ladies of TOTV -- do most of you fight the gray hair or embrace it? And if you did eventually embrace the gray hair at what age did you start embracing it?

Looking at photos of a few prominent women in politics: Nancy Pelosi age71, Hillary Rodham Clinton age 64, Michele Bachman age 55, Jan Brewer age 67, I don't see a lot of gray hair on these ladies. Do you think they are coloring their hair or just very fortunate? And at the age of 65+ does a head of entirely dark brown hair or golden blond hair look realistic/natural?

Just wondering what the ladies of TOTV think about this.

Do you like grey hair?

Do you want grey hair?

If No, Color it.

Learn to do it yourself.

Everyone will know. Nobody will care.

If you dont need to color your hair, everyone will think you do, anyway.

Just some thoughts.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM

I have done the highlites occasionally and do like it, but the gray is coming in silver and is already starting to highlight the curls ... so when people ask who colors my hair I tell them Mother Nature!!! She has also given me the curls - they are curly in GA and bet they will be tighter in FL!!! Love humidity!!! So eventually you will see a silver, curly headed frog in Charlotte!!!!

Gracie, thanks for sharing - love your posts and as it has been said, you are inspirational....
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Love the gray hair after many years of coloring. Now find, however, letting it grow a little longer has resulted in "yellowing". Now doing numerous things downloaded from the internet to try to get rid of the yellow, which is worse than when I was coloring it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM

bevlaur,
Use a shampoo or conditioner with blue in it. Clairol has a product called Shimmering Lights that I use. KC
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevlaur View Post
Love the gray hair after many years of coloring. Now find, however, letting it grow a little longer has resulted in "yellowing". Now doing numerous things downloaded from the internet to try to get rid of the yellow, which is worse than when I was coloring it. Any suggestions?
I have let my hair go natural for at least 5 years. I also always kept it short. Maybe 5 months ago I decided to let it grow in a bit. I have also noticed a yellowing. Everone likes it longer and no one has mentioned the yellow, but I still see it. Suggestions?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 PM

My Mom never died her hair and my Dad never asked her to dye it. She was so beautiful that going gray never seemed like a negative thing to me. I'v never had a perm and never had my hair colored. Guess I have "virgin hair" and my stylist just told me my hair is very health. Ladies, you are all beautiful however you wear your hair. We are all born in the image and likeness of God our creator and that is all we need. You are beautiful!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

My hair started turning gray when I was 15. Became a blonde and have been ever since. As I get older, I've gone from golden blonde to an ash blonde and will continue to do it. I often get compliments on my "natural" hair. Mr.Mac9 and I get a real chuckle from it. My hairdresser tells me that my hair is very healthy. She doesn't colour it; I do it myself. I say to each his own.
Life is too short to worry if your socks match...do what you want and makes you happy!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Yes a touch of blue or a clean shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevlaur View Post
I either use a shampoo with a touch of blue as suggested but I also find that some of the anti build up cleansing shampoos (nutrigina or swave) work now but I am now in the Pacific Northwest. I had a real trouble with the yellow when I lived in areas that had sulfur in the water I don't remember is there sulfur in TVs water like alot of fla?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Thank you ladies. I have been trying to decide whether to let my hair go natural or not. I've started going blonde a few yrs ago and I am tired of the every 5 wks dye job but I'm also a tad nervous about being a "dingy" grey. I'm 58 but have decided that when I turn the big 60 I'm going natural. Your comments make me eager to get there.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Sage

When I was in my teens, my dark brown hair took on auburn highlights each summer. In my teens and early 20's, I'd color my hair to get that color year round, not to cover the gray. Got tired of that and stopped. Haven't colored my hair for what seems like forever, but one of my faborite hair colors is the salt and pepper look....and right now, I have that, well, maybe a bit more salt than pepper. When hair is curled, the dark color shows more, when I don't curl it the gray shows up more.
I've been blessed with shiny hair and still have that so coloring isn't something I want to do...hair never had quite the sheen it normally has when I colored it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post

I'm 58 but have decided that when I turn the big 60 I'm going natural. Your comments make me eager to get there.
Bravely done, good for you. Sadly, I'll probably be subsidizing Miss Clairol until I'm 100.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.