Gray Hair -- Fight It or Give In?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Girls, I am 49 and my hair is silver/white with a little dark blended in and it's all natural. I got my first gray hair at 17, colored for years but gave up about a year or two ago. My hair grows fast and it seemed like I was coloring every 2nd or 3rd week and even though I had gone lighter it was still obvious I was coloring. So, at the nudging of my husband, I quit coloring. I was very insecure at first...I felt like it made me look so much older than I am. But...it's growing on me (pun intended! ) and the compliments I receive help me feel better about it all!

I wear it like Paula Dean wears hers and, honestly, I love the freedom of not coloring...not to mention the expense and mess of it all. My hair is naturally curly/wavey and layered all over so it styles this way very easily.

But...since my husband is quite a bit older than me and I used to be mistaken for his daughter...I'm a bit suspicious of his motives in wanting me to give up on coloring!

Whatever the reason...the gray is mine...I own it and the thought of going back to the mess and expense of it all just wears me out so...I'll keep my gray!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

I know you asked for input from the ladies, but if I may hijack the thread for a minute, please allow me to answer from the men's perspective. You know what the good thing about gray hair is? It's hair!

B.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
I know you asked for input from the ladies, but if I may hijack the thread for a minute, please allow me to answer from the men's perspective. You know what the good thing about gray hair is? It's hair!

B.
LOL! Good point!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
In the past year, I've been noticing quite a bit more gray hair. I get it colored about every 7 weeks (I've tried the home coloring route, but I'm hand challenged and getting it colored professionally looks better for me). When I'm up to the 7 week mark the gray hair is getting pretty noticeable -- at least it is to me.

So for the ladies of TOTV -- do most of you fight the gray hair or embrace it? And if you did eventually embrace the gray hair at what age did you start embracing it?

Looking at photos of a few prominent women in politics: Nancy Pelosi age71, Hillary Rodham Clinton age 64, Michele Bachman age 55, Jan Brewer age 67, I don't see a lot of gray hair on these ladies. Do you think they are coloring their hair or just very fortunate? And at the age of 65+ does a head of entirely dark brown hair or golden blond hair look realistic/natural?

Just wondering what the ladies of TOTV think about this.
Go gray look 80, dye it and look 50. Whats the question save a few bucks or feel great inside.
Bev
Wanabee future TVer

Last edited by diskman; 02-11-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Go gray look 80, dye it and look 50
Are you really serious? I'm sure you're kidding.....right??
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to KateTut

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanormalgirl View Post
LOL! Good point!
Justanormalgirl said:
Whatever the reason...the gray is mine...I own it

Me too! I earned every one of them and don't mind them showing! Now the wrinkly neck stuff ... Not so fond of that!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM

Interesting topic for us women. A few years ago I didn't want to do highlighting or coloring so I gave it up. My hair was short so it didn't take long for the natural color to appear. My daughter was 36 at the time and one day she mentioned she liked my hair dark. When I told her it was my natural color she was shocked, so was I, seems like for 36 years she had never seen my natural color.
When I went back to my former stylist last week as soon as I saw her I mentioned that I had let my hair go natural since I saw her last ( I figured she would try to talk me into color). Her response was that she loved going ORGANIC !!!!
My husband will ask when I am going to get rid of the gray (I really don't have that much) so I will tell him as soon as he gets rid of his grey nose and chest hair !!!!!!!!!!! End of conversation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post

B.
Exactly!! My wife's dad, who died about 10 years ago used to kid me about having gray hair. What hair he had was still brown when died at 85. I would always tell him "At least I have hair".

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.