Help me understand this please!

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Sage

Apparently, some people do not know their perfume is overpowering and what to do? If 12 people told you....? maybe we CAN do something about it...but not if we are all too wussy.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 11-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM

As we get older some people lose their sense of smell. Most of the time, people don't realize that they lose their sense of smell because it happens gradually.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

I wear perfume every single solitary day and will continue to do as long as I live. I do not wear the cheap stuff but rather better brands. If my perfume offends you, I have no problem with you not bothering with me.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM

I am also allergic to strong perfume or cologne. But if I am beside someone with an overdose of perfume or after shave or cologne. I say in a voice that the person hears, man she....he ... or it smells like a skunk. They usually disappear in a hurry.

Maybe they have strong body odors they have to cover up!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Your "better brands" are made from flowers, to which many are allergic. I hope the people who are rendered breathless from that will actually be in a position to get away from you before their throat closes up or they get a migraine.

A second-hand scent problem!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

At duplicate bridge games in TV, the directors now make an announcement before the start of every game to please not wear any type of scents because they adversely affect some players, especially those with COPD.

I've always been sensitive to scents -- at the very least, they give me headaches; when worn heavily, I start wheezing and can barely breath. Not a pleasant sensation.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

As long as cologne is not over doused, I much prefer that to the fragrance of armpit.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Platinum member

When did we become a nation where we penalize all for the issues of a few? Not being able to wear fragrance because one person is "sensitive" is ridiculous. If someone is that susceptible then they should be seeing a doctor for help combating the problem. We have taken issues to the extreme. I will sound callous I know but quite honestly, your issue is not mine.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Sage

guote: As long as cologne is not over doused, I much prefer that to the fragrance of armpit.

LOL, diane, I so prefer armpits.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
guote: As long as cologne is not over doused, I much prefer that to the fragrance of armpit.

LOL, diane, I so prefer armpits.
Kitty - EWWWW - nasty - LOL
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
When did we become a nation where we penalize all for the issues of a few? Not being able to wear fragrance because one person is "sensitive" is ridiculous. If someone is that susceptible then they should be seeing a doctor for help combating the problem. We have taken issues to the extreme. I will sound callous I know but quite honestly, your issue is not mine.
It's not just one person, and some conditions cannot be treated. A little less self-absorption when out in a group in an enclosed situation (church comes to mind; rec center functions, and the like) is helpful.

If a person wants to douse herself with perfume and go take a walk in the park, that's one thing; but please don't sit next to me at church or that Christmas party with 200 people. And don't hug me, either!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's not just one person, and some conditions cannot be treated. A little less self-absorption when out in a group in an enclosed situation (church comes to mind; rec center functions, and the like) is helpful.

If a person wants to douse herself with perfume and go take a walk in the park, that's one thing; but please don't sit next to me at church or that Christmas party with 200 people. And don't hug me, either!
Ummm - you're not gonna like this but quite frankly, I don't care. I have reached the stage in my life where I don't give a rat's behind what other people like and don't like. I will damned well do as I please aside from something illegal. Don't sit next to me - thank you !
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Ummm - you're not gonna like this but quite frankly, I don't care. I have reached the stage in my life where I don't give a rat's behind what other people like and don't like. This stage is all about me and what makes me happy and contented. I will damned well do as I please aside from something illegal. Don't sit next to me - thank you !
Wow, maybe NY would be better for you! There's quite a few million more there that you could not care about.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Wow, maybe NY would be better for you!
I understand what you're saying, DougB, but having lived in North Jersey and spent a ton of time in NYC, this is not a normal attitude from that area. Maybe honest to a fault, but people really care about each other out there.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

I used to work with a girl who claimed she would go into anaphylactic shock with floral based perfumes. Don't know if it was true or not, but we all tried never to wear floral scents. Instead I bought mildly scented lotions and diluted them with unscented lotions. The result was a very mild scent that didn't bother her. Now I can't stand full strength scents of any kind. I guess it's all a matter of conditioning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.