Help me understand this please!

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Where was all this "sensitivity" when we were growing up in the 30's, 40's and 50's?

How are the fragrances of the dish soaps, laundry detergents, bar soaps, sun tan lotion, incense in church(!!!!!), etc, etc......handle in this modern day?

btk
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Where was all this "sensitivity" when we were growing up in the 30's, 40's and 50's?

How are the fragrances of the dish soaps, laundry detergents, bar soaps, sun tan lotion, incense in church(!!!!!), etc, etc......handle in this modern day?

btk
don't know about others, but we use fragrance free in our house. don't sit in the sun so i don't need sun screen...incense in church - i know i am in for it before i go so we sit near the rear doors and bring extra, extra kleenex - and offer it up to god until i can get outside

Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Sage

Maybe people who are sensitive to perfumes can get a service dog that will alert them to the strong scents before they have an adverse reaction. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I haven't had a chance to use this since the good old days in the POLITICAL forum

btk
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

btk
There are so many more chemicals in use now than there was in the '30s, '40s, and '50s. And the population has exploded, so people are constantly jammed closer and closer together. People have developed allergies that they wouldn't necessarily have had back then.

And we're more aware of the problems because we have more sophisticated means of communication.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Maybe people who are sensitive to perfumes can get a service dog that will alert them to the strong scents before they have an adverse reaction. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
Amen
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Sage

There is a certain perfume older women wear that must be from the 1950s, and it is just plain nauseating. Most perfumes don't bother me at all but some do.....I run when a perfume tester approaches me at a department store entrance.

The one that older women wear that is nauseating is always unmistakably the same one. I don't know the name of it, but I've had to leave gatherings here because of it smelling like a combination of moth balls and maybe Eau de Funeral Parlor.

We have attended several churches here, where it seemed that all the friendly, sweet ladies at the doorway had taken a soaking bath in that godawful perfume. Several times, the services were inspiring and well led, but I had to leave early because of that awful perfume, and there was no way we'd join and attend there.

Does anybody know what it is? Somebody needs to tell women who wear it.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum member

I honestly think the problem is that we have become a nation of whiney people who have to punish all for the issues of the few. What ever happened to majority rule.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Wow, maybe NY would be better for you! There's quite a few million more there that you could not care about.
Wouldn't have this issue there. We don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Wouldn't have this issue there. We don't sweat the small stuff.
If you don't sweat, then no need for dousing one's self in perfume.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I honestly think the problem is that we have become a nation of whiney people who have to punish all for the issues of the few. What ever happened to majority rule.
I don't think that wearing perfume should be banned or anything like that, but I do think the o.p.'s question is a good one: don't people realize they're wearing something that stinks?

I guess they don't notice people around them gagging, covering their nose, shaking their head, and getting up to leave the room.

One time, a long time ago, I went to work with a new perfume on. A co-worker said in the break room, "I have to leave. It smells like bug spray in here. I don't know what it is but I can't take it." I figured she was talking about my perfume and so I went home and threw it out. I didn't want to smell offensive. It wasn't a difficult change for me to make.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I don't think that wearing perfume should be banned or anything like that, but I do think the o.p.'s question is a good one: don't people realize they're wearing something that stinks?

I guess they don't notice people around them gagging, covering their nose, shaking their head, and getting up to leave the room.

One time, a long time ago, I went to work with a new perfume on. A co-worker said in the break room, "I have to leave. It smells like bug spray in here. I don't know what it is but I can't take it." I figured she was talking about my perfume and so I went home and threw it out. I didn't want to smell offensive. It wasn't a difficult change for me to make.

Exactly. Done right it should be a non issue.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
If you don't sweat, then no need for dousing one's self in perfume.
For pleasure because good perfume is a delight
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
I think the problem is that we have become a nation of "ME"s with no consideration of others. Who says smelly perfumed people are in the majority?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I think the problem is that we have become a nation of "ME"s with no consideration of others. Who says smelly perfumed people are in the majority?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.