High heels?

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Gold member
Default High heels?

As I wander through the house, determining what will go and what won't, I wondered...do I really need all of these shoes?? I have so many pairs of high heels and dress shoes but I can't imagine wearing any of them after moving to TV. Tell me ladies, should I get rid of all of them? Do you find that you wear them (out to dinner?). How about dresses...formal (maybe for cruises?). I have some nice things and I don't want to get rid of them if I may use them but then again, I don't want to bring useless stuff. What did you do or what would you do differently?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum member

Um... What size are the shoes?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
As I wander through the house, determining what will go and what won't, I wondered...do I really need all of these shoes?? I have so many pairs of high heels and dress shoes but I can't imagine wearing any of them after moving to TV. Tell me ladies, should I get rid of all of them? Do you find that you wear them (out to dinner?). How about dresses...formal (maybe for cruises?). I have some nice things and I don't want to get rid of them if I may use them but then again, I don't want to bring useless stuff. What did you do or what would you do differently?
In TV, life is extremely casual. Most people don't dress to impress. Sandals and capris are commonplace at nice restaurants. I'd keep three "dressy" dresses and three pairs of shoes. For Christmas parties in TV, weddings or cruises. Turf the rest. Just one opinion.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default do I really need all of these shoes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Really depends on how you intend to live here. You can be as casual (shorts and flip flops) as you wish, or you may find you are mixing with people who dress a little more.

IMHO you should consider keeping a couple of pair of dress shoes and a couple of pair of dress sandals. You could bring more and donate them to a charity when you get here, and we have loads of those! I would keep a couple of your formal gowns (just in case) - I believe there is a club of dancers who wear formal dress from time to time - and there are always the cruises.

My wardrobe up north consisted of mainly business clothing, black, taupe, brown etc., I donated those before I came here because I never ever would have worn them here. Even business clothing is lighter and brighter here. When I got here I had a great time buying Florida type clothing.

One thing I would caution you about - bring something warmer to wear for our winters, and yes we do have a winter, although it is probably only a couple of weeks of really cold weather. Suggestion - short winter type jacket, jeans and pants and sweaters. My husband still gets to wear a turtle neck a couple of times a year!

I made the mistake of getting rid of my heavy winter bedding thinking I would never need it here; well I had to buy blankets because it does get cold at night in the winter. So, bring something that you can take off the bed and pack away for most of the year.

As someone said to me once "don't sweat the small stuff" ........ bring what you want to, leave what you don't want and have a wonderful rest of your life in TV!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Gold member

I have one pair of high heels that I have yet to put on my feet (been here 7 mos.) The thought of putting them on now makes my feet scream! However, I have quite a collection of flip flops and sandals!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

I'm with Tainsley....kept 3 pairs of heels in neutral colors, have yet to wear them and have been here over 2 years. I still keep them (might have to go to a wedding or similar back home one of these days).
Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 AM

This was really a difficult issue for me when I moved here. Long story short, I HAD to become absolutely ruthless in getting rid of many items that would have stayed in my closet otherwise. Today, I only have things that I wear and love. Shoes: I have many sandals, golf shoes, and a couple pair of sneakers; I kept my beloved dress shoes for family weddings and some other 'business' type shoes for trips off the reservation, but mostly, again, I gave away many pairs. So be it, as I live a totally different lifestyle now - and am Happy about it!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,352 Posts

I brought one pair of black, white and a tan. I have worn them the same here as up north i guess it just depends on how you want to dress. I do not wear shorts or pants much, so dresses are my everyday wear
Old 07-20-2012, 06:51 PM

Even back in PA for the summer I find myself not wearing the heels - still wearin' my Florida clothes & sandals. Put on a pair of sandlals with heels this morning to wear with my jeans - took 'em right off - back to the flat sandals I brought here from my TV home - going to really thin out the closet this trip!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Wink I love my Heels!

I prefer heels........Not spikes, but 2 to 4 inches makes my legs look sexier and longer! Each to their own!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
In TV, life is extremely casual. Most people don't dress to impress. Sandals and capris are commonplace at nice restaurants. I'd keep three "dressy" dresses and three pairs of shoes. For Christmas parties in TV, weddings or cruises. Turf the rest. Just one opinion.
My opinion too. Your three favorite dressy outfits.

I do have a somewhat different take on the "dress to impress" thought. That's because I happen to love dressy casual, or dressing up casual with accessories. Perhaps it's because my Dad had ladies clothing boutique shops. I grew up designing store windows and dressing/accessorizing mannequins and putting together outfits for customers (and myself). I adore doing it! I tend to do it less in TV because it is looked upon as "dressing to impress". I shouldn't care, but I kinda do.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Sage

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm betting wearing pantihose is not often done in TV.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm betting wearing pantihose is not often done in TV.
Do they sell pantihose in Florida? I think that has been replaced with instant tanner. The Villages is incredibly casual. Comfort is king. I've bought a few dressy outfits at Chico's, but I rarely wear them.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
When I moved to Florida I threw away pantihose, business suits, high heels and my briefcase. That is why they call me .... Barefoot at Last!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do they sell pantihose anywhere? DOWN with pantihose.!!!!

That doesn't sound right does it?

It is so hard to convince friends who are visiting here for the first time not to bring dressy anything. Last summer my friend brought some scarves to wear in August. Makes me sweat just to think about it.

And PTurner, no wonder you always look so beautifully turned out and so lovely.

I feel better now, no keeping up with YOU, P!

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-23-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.