Insomnia

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Sage

Not Denny's please. I don't need to be fat AND sleepless. What else is open all night?
"'
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Not Denny's please. I don't need to be fat AND sleepless. What else is open all night?
"'
Walmart and maybe I-Hop.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Location: Renting in Mount Dora...until I buy in the Villages!

Wow! These are all wonderful suggestions! (Well, not sure about the Sicilian bedtime stories...). The wealth of knowledge here is impressive. Since I wrote that first message last week, I have tried a homeopathic sleep aid I found in WalMart - Calms Forte - and it has worked wonders. Although, I was so desperate for something to work it may be a little placebo effect! If it becomes ineffective, I will definitely look into all the great recommendations here.

Thanks all!
Sue
Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Default Insomnia

Looks like many of us have the same problem - so glad to have a source show me I am not alone!!!!! Sleepy Time tea sure does not work!!
I'll look for the Denny's group once we get down there!!!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTheSkeptic View Post

Since I wrote that first message last week, I have tried a homeopathic sleep aid I found in WalMart - Calms Forte - and it has worked wonders. Sue
It looks as if the main ingredient in Calms Forte is chamomile. Isn't that the ingredient in Sleepytime Tea?

I've had insomnia for years. I somehow find it comforting when I log on TOTV in the middle of the night ... That GracieGirl and Island Gal are also online.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Some people simple have bodies that work better at night then during the day. Therefore they find sleeping at night a problem. Once retired why not just simple take a nap during the day. Problem solved, sleep when you feel the need. The rest of the time all those that seem to have the same problem might think about forming a group and meeting at night.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Some people simple have bodies that work better at night then during the day. Therefore they find sleeping at night a problem. Once retired why not just simple take a nap during the day. Problem solved, sleep when you feel the need. The rest of the time all those that seem to have the same problem might think about forming a group and meeting at night.

We could call us the night crawlers. I thought of and rejected "ladies of the night".

Other names expected and encouraged. I love a good laugh with my morning coffee.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

I swear by hot chocolate with a touch of fresh grated nutmeg. Does the trick every time!!
When my sons were babies, the doc said to use nutmeg when the could not sleep. It did work.
Time for bed now, as I was awake at 4 a.m. now 10.38 p.m.!! Time for hot chocolate and nutmeg
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for natural or homeopathic sleep aids that work? I have tried all the typical prescription sleep aids like Ambien and Lunesta and they are no longer effective, obviously as I am writing this at 1230 a.m.!

Thanks, Sue
Long time problem for me. What finally worked for me was a combination of Xanax, a tranquailizer and Ambien. I tried using nothing and had the longest and most miserable 3 months of my life. The nights lasted forever. The Xanax also controls my RLS so it is a win win situation. Been doing this on and off for about 20 years now and steadily for the last 7. Works like a charm for me and others I know who found just a sleeping pill ineffective. I had to change doctors 3 times to find a doctor to work with me on this. I now sleep soundly rather than feel like I am just laying there awake all night long.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Sage

I took 3 mg of Melatonin at 10:30, hoping it would make me drowsy. No such luck! I'd love to find a "natural" solution that doesn't involve sleeping pills. A good night's sleep is a wonderful thing!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for natural or homeopathic sleep aids that work? I have tried all the typical prescription sleep aids like Ambien and Lunesta and they are no longer effective, obviously as I am writing this at 1230 a.m.!

Thanks, Sue
Hi Sue ,
I had the same trouble could not sleep at night I got so tired of only sleeping a few hrs a night .I when to the Vitamin World and ask them something I could take naturally I did not want any drugs .She sold me Melatonin AND IT WORKS I BEEN SLEEPING EVERY NIGHT SINCE great stuff...I think Dr Oz talked about Melatonin .
Mary Ann
Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Default a decent nights sleep

Have had the flu for the last 3 days and sleeping during the day, and here is it 5:30am and now I'm awake. If I sit in hubbys comfy chair with an afghan, that'll put me to sleep. Thank goodness he has appointments later this morning so I can sleep in his chair and not feel guilty.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Mary View Post
Hi Sue ,
I had the same trouble could not sleep at night I got so tired of only sleeping a few hrs a night .I when to the Vitamin World and ask them something I could take naturally I did not want any drugs .She sold me Melatonin AND IT WORKS I BEEN SLEEPING EVERY NIGHT SINCE great stuff...I think Dr Oz talked about Melatonin . Mary Ann
Sunshine, you're lucky it works for you. Some peeps have great success with Melatonin, but it doesn't work for me at all. I downloaded Sleep Apps on my iPad, and listened to them for an hour. Sigh. I'm still sleepless in Seattle.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage

yes, Melatonin works for some people and Valerian works for some people. Not all. Not me.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 AM

I was having the same problem a couple of yrs ago. My dr recommended I read the book entitled "No more sleepless nights". (cant remember the author) It had several suggestions that worked for me. Of course there are the usual ones...cut out caffeine, dont exercise right before bed etc but a couple I didn't know about that helped me were: don't take a hot bath or shower before bed...in fact make your bedroom as cold as you can tolerate. Heat stimulates the body, increasing heart rate etc, cold does the opposite And you do get sleepy. Move the clock so you can't see it, get up and out of bed if you haven't fallen a sleep after a few minutes. Don't toss and turn. Sit quietly and read, meditate or pray but no tv, commuters or housecleaning I went from sleeping 1-3 hrs/ night to 6-7 hrs. Still not back to my pre-menopause days of 8hrs/ ight but livable
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.