A Lady Always Wears a Slip

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Smile A Lady Always Wears a Slip

Hey girls,
Remember slips?
I had half slips, full slips, plain slips , fancy slips with lace tops. Fashion changed so then I had slips for short dresses, midi dresses, long dresses.
I was very proud of my collection of slips, I remember some to be quite beautiful. What ever happened to slips?
Been cleaning out, getting ready to move and today I found some old slips.
Brought be back to a time long ago and far away and memories of the time when ladies always wore slips.
Well back to packing, I think I saw gloves to match Easter outfits in the back of that drawer.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Whalen,

When I saw your post, I had a flashback to high school. There was a girl in my class who, after she had hung up her coat in her locker, looked down to realize she had forgotten to put on her skirt that morning. Thank goodness for slips.

I am on the committee to plan my class reunion this year. I wonder if that girl will attend.

We were all so busy in those days teasing and spraying our hair every morning, it is amazing that more of us did not forget to get completely dressed. And we were never completely dressed without a slip.

Do you remember the whispered, "It's snowing down south"?

Geeeeez!!!! How old am I anyway??????

Boomer
Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Location: Utica, New York, Plantation, Florida, The Villages, Florida

Oh my, are you bringing back memories. Between the slips, girdles and I think they were called long line bras (my mother made me wear the last two) I felt like a stuffed pig......damn......now I look like one .....oh well, Thank God those days are over.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Hey girls,
Remember slips?
I had half slips, full slips, plain slips , fancy slips with lace tops. Fashion changed so then I had slips for short dresses, midi dresses, long dresses.
I was very proud of my collection of slips, I remember some to be quite beautiful. What ever happened to slips?
Been cleaning out, getting ready to move and today I found some old slips.
Brought be back to a time long ago and far away and memories of the time when ladies always wore slips.
Well back to packing, I think I saw gloves to match Easter outfits in the back of that drawer.
Me too, I have a ton of slips, for every style of clothing and when I pull them out of the back of the drawer, I think, OMG, did I ever fit in these??? What do you do with these old slips? Give them to Goodwill, they won't know what they are???????? Oh Boy, Kathie is getting reallllllly old..

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Me too, I have a ton of slips, for every style of clothing and when I pull them out of the back of the drawer, I think, OMG, did I ever fit in these??? What do you do with these old slips? Give them to Goodwill, they won't know what they are???????? Oh Boy, Kathie is getting reallllllly old..
LOL
Wondered too, how small they were, skinny twin must have worn them.
Also wondered when the young volunteer finds them in the donation bag will she know what they are!
Preserved my prettiest half slip, real silk trimmed with about a foot of real lace. Preserving it in a ziploc bag in case the Smithsonian wants it.
Long line bras, I was too small, but I did wear a panty girdle, went down to about the top of my knees.....o happy days!
Snowing down south...remember "what do birdies do? well your's is open"
OMG how did we survive?
The Good Old Days, You know they really were good.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Sage

You forgot those dasterdly garter belts to hold our stockings up!

Remember how those dang garters dug into our legs all day and left perfect red indents in our thighs?

What were we thinking? Thank goodness Jeans became so popular!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
LOL ........... but I did wear a panty girdle, went down to about the top of my knees.....o happy days!..........
Ohhhhhh, is that what that thing was called? I thought it was a chastity belt.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 02-14-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Whalen,

Do you remember the whispered, "It's snowing down south"? Boomer
Boomer, thanks for the walk down memory lane. I haven't heard that term, snowing down south, for at least 50 years! And yes, Nonie, the garter belt indents. And the girdles.

And remember trying to keep the seams straight when you were wearing nylons?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
You forgot those dasterdly garter belts to hold our stockings up!

Remember how those dang garters dug into our legs all day and left perfect red indents in our thighs?

What were we thinking? Thank goodness Jeans became so popular!
and sanitary belts
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Default What about petticoats?

I remember in the 6th grade, my mom would starch my petticoats and hang them circular fashion on the clothes line so they'd stand out. I'd wear 4 or 5 to school and I wouldn't sit down till my friend, Merry, got there to see whose skirt stood out the most! I also remember that the lace always got torn or snagged and usually some of it was showing out from under my skirt.
What fun memories.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELANDJANE View Post
I remember in the 6th grade, my mom would starch my petticoats and hang them circular fashion on the clothes line so they'd stand out. I'd wear 4 or 5 to school and I wouldn't sit down till my friend, Merry, got there to see whose skirt stood out the most! I also remember that the lace always got torn or snagged and usually some of it was showing out from under my skirt.
What fun memories.
I remember those crinolines. Scratchy things. But as little girls, we loved them. Although, my little sister, who loved them especially under her favorite red dress, would always pull her dress and crinolines up over her face when we were in Sunday School programs. And I stood by in cat-eyed glassed, frizzy-permed mortification, my crinolines sedately in place.

And to this day, I remain.....mortified. I just brought it up to her the other day, in fact.

Boomer
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM

I still have a crinoline, do you think I can wear it at TV? It is pink and I love it.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

Good Grief! I was a 20-yr-old 105 lb bride, wearing a long-line bra that hooked up the back like Scarlett O'Hara.
Wore little stretchy panty girdles all the time - I thought they were more comfortable than garter belts. Even worse were the "sanitary"belts.
When panty hose came out we thought they were a blessing. Little did we know they were a curse.
Couldn't wait to wear high heels, even tho our mothers and aunts displayed their ruined feet.
BUT - in all my high school years I can remember only one girl who was obese.
We may not have had boobs or butts but we were skinny.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Ah yes. I remember it well.

Skinny is right. I was a not so pretty version of Audrey Hepburn (French twist and all) and still would never go anywhere without a panty girdle.

Now..........I don't wanna talk about it.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Christmas & Petticoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELANDJANE View Post
What fun memories.
I'm older than you. How do I know? Because I was in high school (best I remember, that is) before they got to be the rage and because I had to starch and IRON my own.

Anyway, back to my original thought. We used to drive the whole faculty crazy from Thanksgiving to Christmas break by pinning bells on ours. The more petticoats, the more bells, the better. No flock of birds could compete with that noise! Honestly, that's the part I miss about the petticoats.

I also remember that we would NEVER wear flats or heels without stockings, either. Bare legs and feet were for shorts and/or swimwear. Otherwise, it was loafers and triple-roll bobby sox or (tennis shoes, not called sneakers then) and the sox.

Remember how bad we wanted to grow boobs....couldn't wait. Sometimes had to "stuff" just so someone would think you already had. I remember someone giving me an old bra (small, you understand) and wearing it thinking that if I did, maybe they would magically grow. My mother was very kind and understanding when she found it and bought me a nice one instead. She was a nurse and God forbid anything should happen and you were wearing ratty underwear! (Remember that admonition.) Looking back, I'm sure she and my dad had a great laugh over that one later.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.