A Lady Always Wears a Slip

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to PGB
Smile Rember slips

I was all of 98 lbs, bones everywhere. I wouldn't even buy my underwear until after I got married. My Grandmother would buy everything for me! LOL
Garter Belts, I would wear my hose pulled up soooo tight it's a wonder I didn't put my foot all way thru them! I hated slips and only wore half slips or pantalooms, excuse the spelling,when they came out!
Ohhh yeah, those were the good ol' days!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Sage
Smile Those Were the Days...

Sigh. My training bra has become training wheels!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Ok - my most embarrassing ever slip story - and only 2-3 years ago. The company I worked for at the time had just been acquired (sigh!) by another software company. The new co was having their annual sales kick off meeting in a conference center on the Hudson River just north of the city.

Since I didn't know the usual drill, I decided I had better show up in a skirt as the co prez was pretty traditional. So I put on this long black skirt and hose. BIG problem - static cling! I never use hairspray, so I figure, what the heck, I'll just wear a slip. Of course, it has been YEARS since I wore one (and I only ever wore half slips as I am totally disproportionate in height above bs below the waist.

So I am standing at the front desk and I feel a funny feeling. I look down to see my slip pooled at my heels. Fortunately no one else is in the lobby other than the check in staff and they are behind a counter. I am so smooth - pure adrenaline. I loop the slip over one toe. Step out with the other foot. Lift the slip to a waiting hand and et viola - slip it into my briefcase. Did not get any grief from my teammates ...

That slip never made the trip home. The rest went to goodwill when we moved to TV!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 AM

And just this morning, here I am, looking at a whole drawer full of slips wondering if I will ever wear them in TV. OK, now after reading all your comments, I had better NOT bring them with me. Well maybe just a few. Goodwill bag, here they come. Now in NJ, TV in October, and our new home in Bonita Nov 13.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Hey girls,
Remember slips?
I had half slips, full slips, plain slips , fancy slips with lace tops. Fashion changed so then I had slips for short dresses, midi dresses, long dresses.
I was very proud of my collection of slips, I remember some to be quite beautiful. What ever happened to slips?
Been cleaning out, getting ready to move and today I found some old slips.
Brought be back to a time long ago and far away and memories of the time when ladies always wore slips.
Well back to packing, I think I saw gloves to match Easter outfits in the back of that drawer.
OMG Same thing happening here -- we will be moving in two months and I am getting rid of everything I can. Gave the slips away -never thought about it until I saw the posts on here --will the recipients have any use for them --and will they even know what they are?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Platinum member

Funny post. I had to look up "snowing down south". I hadn't heard that one and my mind was conjuring all kinds of definitions.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum member

Don't get in too much of a hurry to toss them all. Wait until you need a slip for a certain dress. A good slip is hard to find now. The Ocala Dillards cleared their stock earlier this year. Good thing that I still had a few old slips, because, an old slip is still better than no slip, even if the fit is a bit tight.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Gold member

I guess I found something I am old fashioned about....I always wear a slip and they are most definitely getting difficult to find. A decent one that is the right length and has a nice elastic waste is rare! I also remember the horrors of a garter belt. How uncomfortable. And high heels. Torture devices...
Old 11-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage

I remember finding one use for slips. I stayed in a bed-and-breakfast (I think in those days they were called "tourist homes") and the bed linen was kind of rough. So I put my nice lacy half-slip over the pillow and had a smooth silky pillow to sleep on.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Ok - my most embarrassing ever slip story - and only 2-3 years ago. The company I worked for at the time had just been acquired (sigh!) by another software company. The new co was having their annual sales kick off meeting in a conference center on the Hudson River just north of the city.

Since I didn't know the usual drill, I decided I had better show up in a skirt as the co prez was pretty traditional. So I put on this long black skirt and hose. BIG problem - static cling! I never use hairspray, so I figure, what the heck, I'll just wear a slip. Of course, it has been YEARS since I wore one (and I only ever wore half slips as I am totally disproportionate in height above bs below the waist.

So I am standing at the front desk and I feel a funny feeling. I look down to see my slip pooled at my heels. Fortunately no one else is in the lobby other than the check in staff and they are behind a counter. I am so smooth - pure adrenaline. I loop the slip over one toe. Step out with the other foot. Lift the slip to a waiting hand and et viola - slip it into my briefcase. Did not get any grief from my teammates ...

That slip never made the trip home. The rest went to goodwill when we moved to TV!
Same thing happened to me! I had just graduated from high school, first job in downtown Philadelphia, wearing my new searsucker, yellow and white pinstriped shift that I had bought over the weekend at John Wanamaker. I had to wear a half slip with it and the only one I owned was frayed at the waist (darn elastic). Anyway I was walking down 12th & Market and I could just feel the slip slipping (as I had no hips or butt to keep it up). I simply stepped out out it, very carefully, never loosing a step, leaving it on the sidewalk. I am sure no one noticed! Every once in a while I wear a slip but I have plenty of hip to keep it up if the elastic goes. Mother always told me to carry a safety pin!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
I guess I found something I am old fashioned about....I always wear a slip and they are most definitely getting difficult to find. A decent one that is the right length and has a nice elastic waste is rare! I also remember the horrors of a garter belt. How uncomfortable. And high heels. Torture devices...
I just found this post and had to laugh. I didn't know what "snowing down south" was either and went to the internet to find out. Ohhh... And btw, I always wear a slip too and the are darn hard to find my my size and length. I feel funny if I don't have one on but the young thangs I work with think thats the stupidest thing they ever heard of. They don't own one and have no idea why anyone would. Guess my deal ol' departed Mom still has a smile on her face with this one. Some things die hard. Maybe with the heat in FL I won't be so anxious to wear one. What do you do about the static cling issue without one though?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM

When I was in 8th grade I had a required class called "Deportment." The class was for girls only. We were taught how to walk "like a lady" by having to walk the length of the classroom balancing a textbook on our head. We were also taught that our slips should be exactly 1/2 inch shorter than our skirts - and, yes, this was checked. Funniest thing was that this class was taught by a man - who also happened to be the gym teacher. Read into this whatever you will - and you'll probably be right
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default thanks for the memories...

I am surprised that some of you did not know the term "snowing down south". and oh those garter belts and girdles.... somethings are much better but I think some of the girls today could use a good dose of some of the modesty!!!

How about this for memoris....My sister had to get down on her knees so they would check the length of their skirts. If the skirt did not touch the floor, hthen home she went. Also we had up and down stair cases so that the boys would not look up our mini skirts. I remember when we first got to wear jeans to school....it was Hish School. Funny funny and my how times have changed.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Sage

I remember being a 20-yr-old 100-lb bride with a lovely dress that i bet my 10-ye-old granddaughter couldn't get into now, and under it a longline bra (had no boobs at all) that hooked up the back like something from Gone With the Wind, and a lacy half slip and a pantie girdle and high-heel shoes. Someone had to help me get dressed and undressed. The next day my feet hurt so much that I slipped my shoes off on the plane to our honeymoon destination, could not get them back on of course, and had to march into the hotel barefooted P.S. I also had a mink stole.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Gold member

Am I the only one who still wears half slips under skirts, dresses? I only wear a dress or skirt to church, but I would feel naked without a slip. I would have never guessed that I was the traditional one!! HaHa!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.