A Lady Always Wears a Slip

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Don't get in too much of a hurry to toss them all. Wait until you need a slip for a certain dress. A good slip is hard to find now. The Ocala Dillards cleared their stock earlier this year. Good thing that I still had a few old slips, because, an old slip is still better than no slip, even if the fit is a bit tight.
I'm also in need of a decent slip. I have a couple of knit skirts that need a slip and they are no where to be found these days. I did buy one from Hanes and it is too short, hate the material, it bunches up around my hips and is basically useless. If I buy a skirt I usually make sure it is lined. I should make a good satin one, easy enough, but I never seem to find the time ....................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM

This thread has me nodding my head and laughing out loud! I would add the dreaded bra strap that would dare show itself. We would do everything to conceal that bra strap; however, it is now common to "let it show"!! And I can never go with the "wear a black bra with a white shirt" as is often show in fashion magazines today. We did everything to conceal and cover. I overheard a woman in a department store shopping for a new bra tell her younger friend, "just you wait and see what happens when you get older, it ain't pretty! I went from a 36D to a 36 Long!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage

Nope. Haven't worn a slip since the one I used as a pillow cover and forgot and left it there.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Dotti thank you for finding this old posting.

I still wear slips, but no more garter belts, long line bras, or girdles that went down to your calfs (they were only worn under slacks), and gone are the days of seams on stockings.

I just found a a full of old stockings from my Mother.

Thanks for the memories.

Vicar of Dibley
Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Girdles were re-invented as Spanx. They made the young cute blondie a billionaire. Try putting some more imagination into those gloves, slips, straps..It's all in the marketing.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

My heavens - remember the sanitary belts....had to wear those because I wasn't allowed to use tampax lest I should break my own hymen !!! No one would marry me.

How about the (Madona) pointy bras?

The many slips I own are long, short, black and white. In the 60's and 70's had to have slips with various "slits" to accomodiate the different slits in the hems. How about the special slips for coulottes.

Do you remember hats for going to church? When I was young and sexy - had spike heels, purse and gloves to match every outfit. Mostly shift dresses.

Wore "buns" and of course, "the twist" hairstyles. Remember those dam brush rollers? How about "scotch taping" your bangs and side curls.

To get out in the sun: Iodine in our baby oil and lemon rinses for our hair.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I had half slips, full slips, plain slips, fancy slips with lace tops. Fashion changed so then I had slips for short dresses, midi dresses, long dresses.
And pettipants!

(Don't ask me how I know this.)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.